Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Surge protectors?

My Class A has a internal surge protector. Does anyone also connect an external surge protector to shore power?
geocacher924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Always... It has saved me already . Slot of the older RV parks have old wiring and we had a surge once. The surge protector did its job. Better safe than sorry
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have a built in protector, having another one isn't needed
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have both and I always hook up the portable one to check the power if nothing else. Since it is already hooked up, I just leave it. It is easier to replace than the installed one if something goes wrong. I would buy one just to check power before hookup if I didn't have one.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
You need one that not only protects against surge, but also for over & under voltage. Most of all, the right voltage!!! Several people have plugged into a 240 volt, 30 amp power source. That is not a good thing at all to do!! Motor home appliances will be fried instantly. So invest in a good one like Progressive Industries. They carry a lifetime warranty. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny. The hard wired ones will indicate line voltage and amperage, as well as the hertz. They also protect against 240 accidental voltage. Just my opinion.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you have a built in protector, having another one isn't needed
Not quite accurate. If you have a built it Progressive (or other third-party surge protectors) that might have been installed by a previous owner, you're probably good to go. However, if you rely on the built-in surge protector installed by the manufacturer of the MH, you need to know that they are only good for spikes in power, and do NOT handle low power situations which can do just as much harm to your coach.

With shore power being iffy at many older RV parks, installing or carrying one of the Progressive surge protectors is cheap insurance.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have an internal surge protector that is all it will do. Protect you from surges. What they usually won't do is protect you from mis-wired pedestals, or protect from low power, which happens frequently. When you consider all he electronics that are vulnerable. The cost of an outside surge protector, which will cover most faults, is cheap.

If you want the whole story go to WWW.progressiveindusties.net

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

Surge Protector

All the advice is greatly appreciated.

The one installed in the RV is a TRC surge guard. It states it checks low voltage, reverse polarity, bad ground etc. If I also use an external protector, will that affect the current coming into the coach in any way? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #9

A picture or model number might help. They appear to make something similar to what Progressive offers, but yours might not be an equivalent product.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #10

Surge guard plus model 40350RVC. Automatic transfer switch with RV power protection
Old 12-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #11

Looks like a winner! You should be fine with that system.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher924 View Post
All the advice is greatly appreciated.

The one installed in the RV is a TRC surge guard. It states it checks low voltage, reverse polarity, bad ground etc. If I also use an external protector, will that affect the current coming into the coach in any way? Thanks.
No unless there is a surge, bad ground, neutral etc... Then it will stop it from damaging your coach or even the installed surge protector. On edit, you should understand that if there is a bad surge, it will destroy the surge protector in most cases. Thats a good thing.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just added a Progressive EMS-HW30C to my old Flair 22D. I think it's a more elegant solution than having to plug in a separate EMS (that might walk off) at the pedestal.

I do run computers, tv, bluray, tv, a bunch of different battery chargers for various cameras and electronics, phones/ipad. I treat it just like the S&B and run them all through separate surge protectors. That's enough peace of mind though.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
RV Campground Voltage Tester Protects Your RV
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote