Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive, unequivocally.
1) the best available in terms of broad protection, covered me for low voltage several times.
2) the best (IMO) in terms of warranty and customer service. I have a hardwired unit that was in my ‘02 DS when I bought it in ‘12. In ‘15 it malfunctioned. I called Progressive that afternoon.
Me: my unit malfunctioned.
She: what’s the display say?
Me: flashing all 8s.
She: Logic board is failed. Where are you, I’ll overnight one to you.
It was just that simple. New board was installed less than 24 hrs later.
One last thing: I noted Mr Gray’s comments above. I’ve spent 8 yrs fulltiming and on this forum. Except for those folks complaining about the price, that is the very first comment I’ve seen speaking against EMS systems.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The protection against high and low voltage is worth all the money for the Progressive unit. Tech support and the warranty is fantastic.

Amazon has it for $311 with the remote included. I paid $300 without the remote. I think the remote is about $50?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #17

I have the Hughes 50 Amp Watchdog. Very easy to use and set up. Bought from them directly and they were very helpful over the phone. It protects against high and low voltage as well. They explained the differences between theirs and Progressive and I couldn’t tell you what it is other than the warranty. I do like the fact you can replace the surge modules individually instead of the entire devise. Very happy with it to date and more happy that I haven’t had a power problem.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just looked at the Hughes unit and it seems to be just a surge protector, not protecting you against all the other problems that can wipe out the AC systems in your RV! Am I wrong?
I'm not sure which Hughes unit you looked at but if it's the one I have, you are definitely not correct.

I have the PWD50-EPO unit. If the voltage goes above 132 or below 104, it shuts down power to the RV. It then monitors the incoming power and if it stabilizes to acceptable for 90 seconds continuously, it resumes power to the RV. We had a bad storm come through last night and this thing did everything I hoped it would. And, with the Bluetooth connection to my phone, I didn't have to go outside to figure out what just happened.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
We got the Progressive Unit w/ remote.
Hard wired version, easy to install.
You can actually hear contacts drop when the device detects the all clear.
Installation time less than hour with common tools.
Life Time warranty seals the deal.
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
I just looked at the Hughes unit and it seems to be just a surge protector, not protecting you against all the other problems that can wipe out the AC systems in your RV! Am I wrong?
I don’t believe that’s correct. Protects against both high and low voltage and shuts down automatically. Powers back up when safe. If the OP is interested, call Hughes. They were great over the phone and didn’t try to oversell me.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #21

Hard wired Progressive.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
I don’t believe that’s correct. Protects against both high and low voltage and shuts down automatically. Powers back up when safe. If the OP is interested, call Hughes. They were great over the phone and didn’t try to oversell me.
What about all the other problems that can occur, such as mis-wired pedestal, open ground, etc. ?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2 cents is Hughes. The fact you can replace the surge modules individually instead of the entire devise is great so get an extra surge module that way you are not unprotected while waiting on the replacement. As an electrician I can tell you for RV's you need to under/over voltage protection. I have the Hughes autoformer and it went out on me. I shipped it back to Hughes and they refurbished right down to a new cord and shipped it back to me in two weeks. Unbelievable in today's world that it is not disposable! The work was out of warranty and the charge to do this was about half the cost of buying a new unit. I don't have hardwired due to lack of room.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #24

One suggestion: If you have a power reel you will want to install your new protective device - whatever brand - between the reel and the transfer switch.

Reels depend on metal brushes to carry the current and they go bad. If the neutral brush opens up, even momentarily, then you will be VERY glad that the protective device is in line after the problem.

Do a search on this web site for power reel issues or brush issues. The tales of woe are there.

Hot tip / pro tip: never let the reel wind up or play out with current going through it.

Mike
Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Where did you mount the hard wire unit? Where my coach is parked I cannot get the bay doors open to look around.
Both of the more expensive units do the same things. You just don't want the basic units that only give you surge protection.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #26

Quote:
What about all the other problems that can occur, such as mis-wired pedestal, open ground, etc. ?
I would think both Hughes and Progressive would handle these conditions the same. With my Hughes, I attach it without attaching the cord from the MH, and open the breakers until I hear the “thud” from the Watch Dog. If you don’t hear it, you know something is wrong. I won’t know what It is but I’ll know not to go further.