Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Do you recall which chassis was under the Bus? Tiffin's in house Powerglide or the outsourced Freightliner? The Powerglide has a 6300 Lbs GVWR advantage over the Freightliner. I'm wonder if the tested coach might have been on the Freightliner which would be roller down the road a bit closer to maximum limit than the Powerglide or the other way round considering both rigs were more or less empty. Load up both for a week on the road and the Bus may settle down while the Phaeton becomes a handful.
As I understand it the Allegro Bus has an in house built chassis. Interesting point on the loaded for travel comment you may have something there. I will say the Bus was not unstable it simply drove much larger and more lumbering than I expect the 5' of extra length to feel like seat of the pants....

The Phaeton as I understand it has nearly 5000 lbs of cary capacity with a full load of fuel so that is pretty good.
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Scott,

Here are a couple of points about that 45' coach.
1. It could have had the Cummins ISX13 engine rated at 500 hp. That is a very heavy engine. It probably weighs 1500 pounds more that an ISL and even more difference over a Cat C7. All that extra weight is cantilevered out behind the rear axles.
2. A tag axle can be fine tuned as to the amount of weigh it carries which also affects the load on both the drive and steer axles. It sounds like the balance may have been off due to the tag not being adjusted properly.

This is just spitballing. Don't know the situation of course but these are possibilities.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Lots of great feedback and I certainly admit that there may have been tire pressure issues or some sort of setup on the tag that could have been improved. I guess its hard to put into words but the Bus really did not feel like there was anything wrong with it specifically it just felt BIG and due to it's size and weight lumbered down the road somewhat. Did it go in a straight line on the highway? Certainly.... Did it turn and stop as directed by me as the pilot? Yep... Was it near as easy or enjoyable to drive for me? Not at all. The Phaeton I felt like I could hop in and drive all day with little stress. The Bus I could drive all day but would have been more tired for sure.

I appreciate the great input on shopping for a unit and agree the list given by Smitty is awesome but not being retired and having tons of time to devote to finding the perfect coach I have to make a decision with less comparison time than some are able to invest.

I also agree that my driving impressions are certainly subjective but I am OK with that I think "-) I view a back to back test drive over the exact same route in the same weather conditions is a great way to make a judgement as to which one fits me best personally.

Checking tire pressure is a great point though you certainly cannot tell by looking and I know on my very first 32' Class C unit it mattered allot along with the air bag pressure.

The horizon for this coach in our lives is probably 3 to 5 years which by then I will be able to access my retirement funds without penalty and my options will be much greater. So to get this much coach for a little over $100K in the shape its in I hope is a fair deal giving that it is from a very reputable dealer.

Scott
Old 10-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #17

Oh one last thing the 2014 Itasca Meridian we test drove was new and the difference was not as stark as the Bus and Phaeton but I will say that I felt the Phaeton still exceeded the 42" Itasca.

Another thing that came to mind is the previous owner of the Tiffin Phaeton based on the condition of the coach inside, under, and out may have added some after market upgrades like high end shocks or a sway bar etc... Not sure whats available but thats could be part of it as well... Who knows
Old 10-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might have experienced some difference due to chassis. They have mentioned that Tiffin uses Freightliner. Home built and Spartan. All are different driving experiences. Here is my experience limited as it might be. I owned my 2005 Allegro 38 ft bus for a year and found a 2007 45 ? ft Allegro bus with tag axle at my dealers. I was curious to see whether I would be interested in the longer bus and how much harder it would be to drive. We took it on a test drive and to be honest I could not tell that much difference. They both had the same engine so the larger bus was a little bit slower to accelerate. I took it in a parking lot to see how it would feel trying to maneuver it tight spaces. I drove it on a curvy road. Both vehicles had the freightliner suspension and Independent front suspension. I really did not notice that much difference driving them or in the ride.

I did not buy the 2007. I liked it but not enough to pay the difference in price between the two.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #19

Hope the financing goes thru quickly, and that you enjoy your new rig!!

And that, is what matters, you both enjoying whatever it is that your traveling in! As the person writing the checks, and writing, and writing! Gets to ride in whatever they want.

It's popular combo, the one you chose. If I remember correctly, it was one of, if not the highest, volume DP Class A for several years.

Travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hope the financing goes thru quickly, and that you enjoy your new rig!!

And that, is what matters, you both enjoying whatever it is that your traveling in! As the person writing the checks, and writing, and writing! Gets to ride in whatever they want.

It's popular combo, the one you chose. If I remember correctly, it was one of, if not the highest, volume DP Class A for several years.

Travel safe,
Smitty
+1. Agree with Smitty! Enjoy whatever it is you choose. Emphasis on "ENJOY!"
Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #21

Thanks for your evaluation. I always thought a tag was supposed to be a 100% better ride than a non tag. Now I will be happier with my non tag.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Thanks for your evaluation. I always thought a tag was supposed to be a 100% better ride than a non tag. Now I will be happier with my non tag.
I think your expectations are on the high side. A tag will ride and handle better than most single axles for several reasons. 100% - hmmm - not so much so.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Surprise Test Drive 40' vs 45' w/TAG

The 2007 would most likely not have the Powerglide chassis as the designer of the Powerglide was the same as the Alpine Peak chassis.
I don't think Tiffin got the Powerglide until after Alpine (Western RV) closed.
That's what I remember.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
The 2007 would most likely not have the Powerglide chassis as the designer of the Powerglide was the same as the Alpine Peak chassis.
I don't think Tiffin got the Powerglide until after Alpine (Western RV) closed.
That's what I remember.
The Tiffin Powerglide chassis was first built in May, 2007. Tiffin mentions an indirect association with Jones & Son Chassis, Inc. of Yakima, WA on the Powerglide chassis. Jones & Son went into chapter 11 bankruptcy in February, 2014.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
You might have experienced some difference due to chassis. They have mentioned that Tiffin uses Freightliner. Home built and Spartan. All are different driving experiences. Here is my experience limited as it might be. I owned my 2005 Allegro 38 ft bus for a year and found a 2007 45 ? ft Allegro bus with tag axle at my dealers. I was curious to see whether I would be interested in the longer bus and how much harder it would be to drive. We took it on a test drive and to be honest I could not tell that much difference. They both had the same engine so the larger bus was a little bit slower to accelerate. I took it in a parking lot to see how it would feel trying to maneuver it tight spaces. I drove it on a curvy road. Both vehicles had the freightliner suspension and Independent front suspension. I really did not notice that much difference driving them or in the ride.

I did not buy the 2007. I liked it but not enough to pay the difference in price between the two.
So it sounds like your experience was nearly 180 out from mine. Interesting... I guess the only main difference was the 2011 I believe had the in house power glide chassis and both of the ones you drove were Freightliners....

Scott

Tags
test