RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Surround sound on new TV

I am new to the RV world. We have recently purchased a 2006 Fleetwood bounder. I upgraded the TV to a flat screen however I would like to connect the TV to the surround sound the coach has. It works with the DVD/CD VHS player but when watching the TV directly the surround sound is not available. Has anyone overcome this issue before? I'd be most grateful for any advice.
Thanks
Chris
NH Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My new flat screen had audio optical out cable only. I had to replace the surround sound with a model that had optical sound connections.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Usually the newer TVs have a 3.5 mm Jack that is an output for audio. If you can take an audio jack that's 3.5 mm plug it into your TV and then take the other end of it and use an adapter to your AUX input of your amplifier, it should play the audio through your amplifier. Then you will have true surround sound. The audio coming out of the TV is coded with the surround sound encryption. The amplifier end maybe RCA jacks.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"NH Chris"......If you can't get the connections to work, maybe look at a sound bar. They've become very popular. Costco sells one.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Chris! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! We would need more info, such as the model number of your surround sound receiver and TV, to offer advice! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Folks, thank you all. Apologies for a tardy reply. I've been away from the computer. This is a Fleetwood option installation and so I have sent an email to them for some help. Should I unlock the secret I will be sure to share it with everyone.
Chris
NH Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Chris View Post
I am new to the RV world. We have recently purchased a 2006 Fleetwood bounder. I upgraded the TV to a flat screen however I would like to connect the TV to the surround sound the coach has. It works with the DVD/CD VHS player but when watching the TV directly the surround sound is not available. Has anyone overcome this issue before? I'd be most grateful for any advice.
Thanks
Chris
Chris,
Well, you say YOU upgraded the existing TV to a Flat Screen, correct? The first thing I need to ask is, how EXACTLY did you attach ANY wires/cables/RCA jacks etc. to the back of the new TV? Are the connections for the new Flat screen, the EXACT same as the ones for the old TV?
Did the old TV play on the surround sound system? If it didn't, it's highly possible that the sound from the TV(s) was NOT integrated to the Bounders surround sound system in the first place. But, not knowing the answers to some of the questions I've asked, it's hard to give a better answer.
You see, I just went through all of this on our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I changed from the original U.S.S. Enterprize boat anchor Sony, weighing in at a whopping 100+ lbs, to a brand new 32" Samsung LED TV weighing in at a whopping 8.5 lbs. I discarded all of Winnebagos so called 5.1 surround sound system and installed a brand new Marantz 5.2 Surround sound system. I also installed a Pioneer Amp for the two factory subwoofers that are installed in the coach.

The sound now is like a movie theater. I now have full control of all of the sound that eminates from each speaker.

So, you need to find out if the new TV is actually attached to the Bounders sound system or not. The routing of the cables is of prime importance. It was suggested that a 3.5mm jack be used as a sound distribution component. Well, as stated, we just purchased a brand new Samsung 32" LED for the front and a brand new 24" Visio LED TV for the rear and neither one is equipped with any 3.5MM jack.

In order for the sound to be replicated in a 5.1 surround system, it must be transferred from the TV to some receiver in one of four ways.

1. RCA cables (worst means of transmitting sound)
2. Component cables (better but, not the best by far)
3. Optical cable (Way better but, not the best)
4. HDMI cable, the best way for sound transference.

Then the receiver will do all the work in creating the actual "5.1" surround sound system.

So, do you have any of those means hooked to the back of your new FLAT SCREEN and if so, where do they go? If you DO have some form of audio transferred to a receiver, and it's not working as you think, it may be that there needs to be something switched by a toggle, or, a setting in the new TV.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote