Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sway and tail waggle

2005 Fleetwood 32 Ft with Workhorse chassis having issue with back and forth movement steering and tail sway. New tires and steering doesn't pull. Don't believe there is any alignment issue. What should I add to correct steering issue?
Reinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:25 AM   #2

Controlling Sway

Start with the no cost items like sway bar bushings, sway bars, tire pressures, etc.
Are all of the front end components in good shape ? I.e. Tie rods, Ball joints, etc.
If yes,
Then visit Supersteer.com
If your rig does not have a Rear Trac Bar, then you might consider getting one.

My P32 chassis handled like crap when I got it new in 2002. Adjusting the tire pressure lower made the biggest improvement to steering.
Ultimately, adding a Rear Trac Bar, coil Springs, better sway bar bushings and aligning to Supersteer specs made the rig driveable with one hand. No more white knuckles.

Good luck.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbc View Post
2005 Fleetwood 32 Ft with Workhorse chassis having issue with back and forth movement steering and tail sway. New tires and steering doesn't pull. Don't believe there is any alignment issue. What should I add to correct steering issue?
WELCOME to iRV2.com

You will likely get better answers if you include which chassis you have. It is either a P32 (with IFS) OR it is a W-22 series with solid front axle.

Regardless, I agree with the previous post that a rear track bar is going to yield the best bank for the bucks.

Several online retailer sell them, such as Henderson Line up and you will find lots of WCC-specific info at: www.urvp.com

Also, please visit the Workhorse chassis forum here on iRV2.com
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on a track bar being the most likely thing to help, but need to identify which Workhorse chassis (P-series is quite different than Wxx). And optimize the tire pressure for the actual load before doing anything.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On our W-22 chassis, an increased positive caster setting(+5 deg.)alignment, BlueOx rear trac bar and Koni FSD shocks solved our handling problems that allowed forgoing other common upgrades. Tail wag, excessive porpoising, and directional stability were all under control.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
WELCOME to iRV2.com

You will likely get better answers if you include which chassis you have. It is either a P32 (with IFS) OR it is a W-22 series with solid front axle.

Regardless, I agree with the previous post that a rear track bar is going to yield the best bank for the bucks.

Several online retailer sell them, such as Henderson Line up and you will find lots of WCC-specific info at: www.urvp.com

Also, please visit the Workhorse chassis forum here on iRV2.com
Thanks, I have a w-22 chassis, and I believe there is a trac bar installed on the rear differential. I will look up Henderson Line. I found a front end alignment guy that will come out to the house tomorrow to check out the front end.
Reinbc is offline   Reply With Quote