Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #1

swing arm on entry door

The entry door has a swing arm on top to prevent the door from swinging freely. I have a 98 Newmar Dutchstar Diesel pusher. The two arms of the swing arm is connected by a bolt of sorts. Mine is missing. It fell off and couldn't be found.

Other than buying a whole new assembly from Newmar at over $300 can anyone offer a solution?
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
LSepulveda,
Sorry you are having problems with your coach door... let me see if I can assist you. Basically, any "hardware", such as fasteners, connectors, fittings, etc., (unless designed as a "proprietary" patented, one-of-a-kind special and unique-to-the-specific-application and nothing else will work) ...CAN be purchased at a good general hardware store. Please do not spend $300 on this without first photographing it so that the great members on this board can have a look-see and maybe help you.
Meanwhile, from what you describe loosely as a "bolt", I think you have simply lost a small, non-threaded retaining pin which connects the closer piston to the bracket. It is fitted thusly to allow one to pull the pin, disengage the closer and allow the door to fully traverse the hinge arc for ease of egress with large objects... like appliances.
If that is true, you can temporarily do the "McGuyver" thing: Find a short nail which will fit the holes through the bracket "capturing" the piston and thus re-attaching the two pieces so that they will still articulate to open and close the door. You can clip the sharp point of a soft nail off with a diagonal cutter to avoid potential encounters with the nail... a cotter pin or other similar hardware would also work.
Again, if this does not help, please shoot a picture of the two pieces which need to be rejoined and I will give it another shot.
Best of luck...
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote