Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Switching to On Demand Water Heater - Truma?

We want to switch because we simply run out of hot water too often in our coach. Is Truma still the only really reliable on demand system out there?

I'm not worried about the cost, but what I am finding is that the Truma dealers I have local are not giving me a sense of confidence that do enough installs to make sure it is done right. Therefore, I am wondering if there is a quality DIY solution that I can do myself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #2

What size HWH tank do you have?
Is it both electric and propane heated?
We have 10 gal Suburban electric and propane, and can shower back to back when using both sources of heat.
How long a shower time are you taking?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Just had the Truma installed in the coach about a month ago at Iron Horse RV in San Antonio. I don’t think you can get the unit anywhere other than an authorized dealer and have them install it. I watched the whole process and it wasn’t a very big deal but that was the deal. We replaced our Atwood tankless unit and the Truma is superior in every way. I seriously doubt that any 10 or even 15 gallon tank type heater could really hold a candle to the Truma system. Every issue we had with the Atwood had been resolved with the new unit. I would do whatever it takes to do it all again.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 12 gallon and we cannot take back to back showers. Yes, mine is dual fueled and I use electric and propane during high demand. Last year I complete overhaul of the heater with new element and sensors.

We just want to be able to take as long a shower as needed as long as we want.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

Not familiar with the Truma. We have an aquahot 600D. Endless hot water regardless of how long the shower is. Not sure if one would fit in your basement or not. Nice thing about the aquahot is it runs on electric and diesel. I leave the electric on and then we turn on the diesel for showers back to back. Works well.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

On Demand Water Heater Trump

I had one and loved it. You won't be disappointed.
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #7

Truma heaters have a good reputation. I had an Atwood tankless (I called it thankless) that was a piece of junk. It was very sensitive to the water pressure and took a long time to kick on after you started the water running. I looked at replacing it with a Truma but they do not support self install so I replaced the Atwood with a 6 gal tank heater. Big improvement.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBnd View Post
I have a 12 gallon and we cannot take back to back showers. Yes, mine is dual fueled and I use electric and propane during high demand. Last year I complete overhaul of the heater with new element and sensors.

We just want to be able to take as long a shower as needed as long as we want.

What I know of the Truma is all positive. Just be aware that their water heaters are propane only, no electric, and don't forget to take that into account. The size of your tank and your current usage for other devices may impact your decision.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I cannot seem to find a dealer locally that will install a Truma and these days I don't want to travel to get it installed. What DIY solution is the best? the PrecisionTemp RV-550 seems to get good reviews? Anyone have any feedback on this model?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
What size HWH tank do you have?

Is it both electric and propane heated?

We have 10 gal Suburban electric and propane, and can shower back to back when using both sources of heat.

How long a shower time are you taking?

Agreed. Have yet to run out.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBnd View Post
I cannot seem to find a dealer locally that will install a Truma and these days I don't want to travel to get it installed. What DIY solution is the best? the PrecisionTemp RV-550 seems to get good reviews? Anyone have any feedback on this model?

We have this in our resent purchase , precision temp 500 no problems with back to pack showers, good customer service, I believe the 550 is a better unit. Propane only. Can not use it running down the road.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, I think its the DIY one to purchase. Understood on running down the road. We just do not have enough water back to back. We have the engine heat option, so I will miss that while going down the road, but we seldom use hot water when rolling.

Tags
heat, heater, switch, water, water heater