Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was mad too when our ISX blew up only 2,600 miles after we bought it. After paying the $22,000+ bill (Cummins paid $10,400 of the over $33,000 bill) and cooling down a few months, plus studying other breakdown post I've come to the conclusion that there was no way that ANYONE (including Cummins) could have predicted a valve breaking and doing that much damage. All I can hope now is that Cummins got it fixed for good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #44
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
then Yes the estimated Labor to repair the problem is a legitimate number as Rear Radiator Coaches are extremely difficult to work on.

Exactly why I have vowed to only buy a side radiator DP !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Exactly why I have vowed to only buy a side radiator DP !
Smart move for sure.

Just makes me wonder what idiosyncrasies exist for side radiator DPs? Seems nothing is bulletproof.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #46
Community Moderator

Symptoms of Fan Bearing Failure & Who is Responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
Smart move for sure.

Just makes me wonder what idiosyncrasies exist for side radiator DPs? Seems nothing is bulletproof.

Well the fan mechanism itself is more complicated (hydraulic, or right angle gear boxes, etc) ....but the big thing is that access to the engine and components is much easier.

The other thing side radiator usually gives you is vertically stacked CAC and radiator that reduces debris between cores
Old 11-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Smart move for sure.

Don't they teach Murphy's Law in ME school anymore?
Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
As to recourse, when I bought my used pig in a poke MH I had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I found out later it had been on the lot for 3 years. I also did my first look under the chassis with a flashlight.

FWIW, as mentioned, many MH salesman have never owned a DP and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnostics or repair.

BTW, I am an Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer and I have operated the most sophisticated machines built by Humans in the most unforgiving environment on earth, night landings on aircraft carriers. You'll find that all that doesn't help with a MH unless you can also turn a wrench. Just sayin' .

IMHO

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #49

Just another case for having a pro (not an RV dealer) do a chassis inspection. They may not have found this issue either, but the chances of somebody that works around that kind of thing every day is best case possible. Worst case, at that point you know you did what you could.

Many states require annual safety inspections on commercial trucks. Outfits doing those do them reasonably, and would be perfect candidates for giving a MH chassis a good look over. The one I used, once I explained I was looking for a pre-purchase inspection that did not include the MH systems (e.g. heater, frig. or generator) were glad to lend a hand, charged me 200. including a road test! I thought that a very fair price, and the fact it made me much less nervous about buying something like this was priceless. Oh, and I worked on these things professionally for 20 years early in my working career.....
Old 11-01-2015, 06:44 AM   #50
Community Moderator

Quote:
I found vibration that the dealer explained away after the inspection as "idle is too low - these CAT engines need to idle around 800rpm, not 500rpm"....
I think by the dealer increasing idle RPM a temporary correction was made to the failing bearing, thus reducing the vibration to almost nothing detectable. I was assured the idle was initially "set too low" and "the engine was cold".

I tend to agree the dealer didn't know about the bearing. It's true a cold diesel won't idle smoothly at 500 RPM.....heck my gasoline car engine won't either (it likes 600).

The other factor is what you have experienced already with a rear radiator.....very limited access to the engine and fan. You can't really inspect what you can't see.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Gear Girl,
I'm surprised that with all the education it took to become a "Mechanical Engineer", that you didn't take the time to research and educate yourself on the idiosyncrasies and problems that could possibly arise with buying your particular year and model of coach.

JMHO, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #52

Well, I'll just say S__t happens. The fan bracket on my Cummins ISB broke shortly after having Freightliner in Gaffney check it out and do the 40k mile service. Oh well, that's life.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Just another case for having a pro (not an RV dealer) do a chassis inspection. They may not have found this issue either, but the chances of somebody that works around that kind of thing every day is best case possible. Worst case, at that point you know you did what you could.

Many states require annual safety inspections on commercial trucks. Outfits doing those do them reasonably, and would be perfect candidates for giving a MH chassis a good look over. The one I used, once I explained I was looking for a pre-purchase inspection that did not include the MH systems (e.g. heater, frig. or generator) were glad to lend a hand, charged me 200. including a road test! I thought that a very fair price, and the fact it made me much less nervous about buying something like this was priceless. Oh, and I worked on these things professionally for 20 years early in my working career.....
I did all that. I had an independent inspection done by a guy who works on these (granted, he was recommended by the dealer, but was my best option). I paid $300 for the inspection and it included a test drive and all. The inspector noted the vibration in his report, and the next day the dealer explained it away. I didn't make the connection among failing bearing and the vibration and increase in RPM.

I pretty much have no faith in humans at this point.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
As to recourse, when I bought my used pig in a poke MH I had a 30 day warranty from the dealer. I found out later it had been on the lot for 3 years. I also did my first look under the chassis with a flashlight.

FWIW, as mentioned, many MH salesman have never owned a DP and wouldn't know the first thing about diagnostics or repair.

BTW, I am an Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineer and I have operated the most sophisticated machines built by Humans in the most unforgiving environment on earth, night landings on aircraft carriers. You'll find that all that doesn't help with a MH unless you can also turn a wrench. Just sayin' .

IMHO

The reason I mentioned I'm an engineer is people were losing their minds over why I was asking for general bearing failure symptoms without talking about mine first. I wanted clean data. I didn't want to lead anyone in their response.

I further explained I'm an ME, not a mechanic.

This particular dealer owned and remodels MHs. He has a photo on his desktop background of one he brags about reselling to Miranda Lambert whoever the heck that is. I guess she's someone famous.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #55

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I did all that. I had an independent inspection done by a guy who works on these (granted, he was recommended by the dealer, but was my best option). I paid $300 for the inspection and it included a test drive and all. The inspector noted the vibration in his report, and the next day the dealer explained it away. I didn't make the connection among failing bearing and the vibration and increase in RPM.

I pretty much have no faith in humans at this point.
You better have faith in someone if your going to repair your Motor Home !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #56

Wow, this was hard to read. I could go into detail but I believe in Karma so I won't. Maybe someone else could negotiate this bill for you. Just saying.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan