Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Symptoms of Fan Bearing Failure & Who is Responsible?

Before I write what I encountered, would some of you experienced RV owners please list symptoms of engine fan bearing failure? This is a diesel pusher with fan hub assembly, not a clutch (though a failed bearing is a failed bearing....but might present differently in the presence of a clutch). Also, if assured repeatedly that the coach runs very well then I am stranded by it on the way home, what recourse do I have against the dealer who sold it to me? Coach is parked at a repair shop with an estimated $6500 in repairs on hold (not to mention the $1500 tow bill).

Thanks.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What year model of coach and engine, how many miles.

As far as bearing failure, there would be vibration, heat, possibly intermittent lockup. You would probably be able to hear the difference if you had a reference to what a good fan/bearing sounded like.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

jackwjamesl is right. There is a LOT of missing information you need to provide before anyone can give you accurate advise. How long ago did you purchase the MH?

Off hand, I would say that if you purchased it new and within the last 11 months, you should have all repairs taken care of by the manufacturer. Other wise, get your check book out. The estimate seams to be high to me. Call some other shops and get estimates from them.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
What engine has the fan bearing expired upon?

I have never had a fan bearing fail so cannot comment with authority about the symptoms. I would expect a broken belt, frozen fan, or a screeching, grinding sound to be part of the scenario.

A quick search on a Cummins fan bearing returns prices below $300 for a bearing assembly.

Cummins NTC 400 Bendix Kit Master Fan Hub Drive Clutch 102532 104878 GTN 14 200 | eBay

So I guess the remaining $6,200 is the labor charge?

Something seems amiss in the story presented. Perhaps more detail or obtaining a second opinion on repair cost would help?

Responsibility for repair flowing from "he said, she said" type issues are best resolved in the written contract.

A contract for roadside towing with Coach-Net or Good Sam would cost about $150 per year and result in zero towing cost vs the $1500 you incurred or expect to incur.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

A quick search on a Cummins fan bearing returns prices below $300 for a bearing assembly.

Cummins NTC 400 Bendix Kit Master Fan Hub Drive Clutch 102532 104878 GTN 14 200 | eBay

So I guess the remaining $6,200 is the labor charge?
There is NOT a clutch involved per my original post.

Only a 'hub assembly' (which does not come pre assembled...around $1000 in parts is required).

The labor cost was 21 hours at $130 per hour.

Year/Make/Model should be somewhat irrelevant, I was looking for general bearing failure warning signs in a rear engine diesel.

Someone has already hit the nail on the head with one symptom I experienced, but I'm waiting to see if there's a general consensus on that! The dealer insists that the symptom I experienced had nothing to do with the bearing failing.

The coach is long out of warranty.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
There is NOT a clutch involved per my original post.

Only a 'hub assembly' (which does not come pre assembled...around $1000 in parts is required).

The labor cost was 21 hours at $130 per hour.

Year/Make/Model should be somewhat irrelevant, I was looking for general bearing failure warning signs in a rear engine diesel.

Someone has already hit the nail on the head with one symptom I experienced, but I'm waiting to see if there's a general consensus on that! The dealer insists that the symptom I experienced had nothing to do with the bearing failing.

The coach is long out of warranty.
Is there some reason you wish to keep your "Mission Impossible" highly classified coach/year/make/model/engine a top secret? Most people offer that info as an assistance to getting a more accurate answer. Sometimes year/make/model/engine has "series" that may or may not have had industry wide issues. Some may answer due to the fact they have the same year/make/model engine. Engine specifics are more important than the other info but, if you choose not to divulge such highly classified info, your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

So what were your symptoms?

Don't understand your reluctance to give the forum information other than your disagreement with the dealer.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I want unbiased feedback. That's why.

If I write "I had XYZ symptoms" I'm sure I'll get plenty of people chiming in about the exact same thing. I don't want to lead anyone in their reply. I've had people at the shop tell me one thing, and the dealer refute that and tell me something different.

So it's just a simple question: if ANYONE with a rear engine diesel RV has had the fan bearing fail, what symptoms did they have leading up to the obvious clanging around in the engine compartment?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins, Cat, Detroit, Rear or side radiator? Just questions for starters that would even possibly explain that many labor hours?
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Based on your info given, I'd say you are SOL. Did the dealer give you any type of warranty? Sounds like the answer is no.

As far as thw $1200 tow bill, if you has spent 80-100 bucks on roadside assistance, you wouldn't have that bill
Old 10-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Fan bearing

I experienced a fan bearing failure on a CAT 3126E powered rear radiator coach. This was a sealed bearing. The indications were a generator light followed by an increase in water temperature. No noise. No vibration. No damage. LUCKY! Fan and shaft with failed bearing lay in the bottom of the radiator shroud.

Coach mileage 94039.4 Engine hours 2131.6
CoachNet paid for towing.

I replaced the shaft and bearing. Total parts to include new belts was $204.99
Labor to press on new bearing $50.00
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have your answer....I just don't want to talk about it!

This forum contains a ton of experience. As "FIRE UP" stated, we all drive different brands of coaches and engines. Some have a history of failure and there may even be good information about TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) that pertain to your specific coach.

I think you're doing yourself an injustice by not providing the info and I could care less about helping anyone who wants to play 20 questions.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:44 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
I experienced a fan bearing failure on a CAT 3126E powered rear radiator coach. This was a sealed bearing. The indications were a generator light followed by an increase in water temperature. No noise. No vibration. No damage. LUCKY! Fan and shaft with failed bearing lay in the bottom of the radiator shroud.

Coach mileage 94039.4 Engine hours 2131.6
CoachNet paid for towing.

I replaced the shaft and bearing. Total parts to include new belts was $204.99
Labor to press on new bearing $50.00

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #14

The chassis may have a longer warranty than the coach. Our fan clutch (your problem isn't a clutch but it's still a part of the chassis) and was covered by the 3 year chassis warrany.

I hope you are back on the road soon!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan