RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Tag axle bunkhouse

Doing research on our next step up in motorhome. We have a gas bunkhouse and I have my heart set on upgrading to a Fleetwood 40g when the time comes because it hits all my hot buttons minus a master bath.

Iíll be buying used to keep my price point in the low to mid 100ís. I stumbled across a Forest River Charleston 430BH with a 450hp Diesel for $150,000. I didnít realize i could get a tag in my price range especially with that size of motor.

2 questions. Are there any other tag axle bunkhouse models? They seem to be few and far between. And does anyone have any feedback on this particular Charleston 430BH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra and Newmar make them.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are there any other tag axle bunkhouse models? They seem to be few and far between.
You get a tag axle if the coach is long enough, meaning heavy enough, to need one to carry the weight. There probably aren't a lot of 42-45 foot bunkhouse models around, new or used, but there are some. Cousin Ed gave some suggestions.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The only available tag axle in a 40' coach is the Newmar Dutch Star. Most 43' coaches all have tag axles and there should be some models out there with bunks.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

So. When searching for tag axle bunkhouse models i stumbled across the Monaco Diplomat 43dft. Not a bunk model but holy cow i love this coach.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...DFT-5000667649

Wondering how big of a pain it would be to take down and put sofa beds up every day when camping. I was dead set on bunks until i Saw this model.

Feed back from those of you traveling with a couple kiddos in non bunk models.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"GEM1N1"......Look closely at the add, it's misleading. It says under engine, Cummins, but farther down it says MaxxForce10. When Monaco went out of business, in 2009, it was sold to Navistar and they immediately began installing MaxxForce engines. The MaxxForce engines were not popular in motor homes and may have some resale issues. They also had issues meeting smog requirements. Many are happy with them, but the standard at the time was Cummins.

Monaco was one of the best coach companies around until it was poorly managed and went out of business in 2009. The current Monaco company is manufactured by the Fleetwood parent company on a Freightliner chassis. There is absolutely nothing about the new Monaco that is a Monaco, except the name.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"GEM1N1"...... There is absolutely nothing about the new Monaco that is a Monaco, except the name.
Exactly correct!
As for bunkhouse models,, All the top tier(and ultra top tier) mfg's make them, just depends on how much you want to spend. (and I would avoid the 13 letter manure spreader/navistar brand as well.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #8

The Discovery has a tag model with bunks. Here's one listed at PPL. If I were in the market for an upgrade this model would be near the top of my list.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...42A-5000225592

Happy Hunting!
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Forest River has the bunk models in both the Charleston and the Berkshire. Both are available in 43 foot lengths. As others have stated, only Newmar makes a 40 foot tag axle rig. I believe you can get bunks in either a Ventana or a Dutch Star.

Happy hunting. We finally found our best choice when Entegra changed their bunk house design in the middle of the 2018 model year. The Entegra bunk floor plan is available in both the Insignia and the Aspire.

Tags
bunkhouse