Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Tag axle wheel(s)

Some tag axle coaches have the wheel set inboard to match the live axle and some use a reverse wheel mount. Why is this? The tag axle wheel that is installed to look like the live one looks better in my opinion. Most MCI busses have the tag axle wheel reversed so I suspect there must be a pretty good reason like less tire scuffing when turning or?

Just one of those things that I see on the road and have to ask why.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The outside mount is for looks, to match the mains. I think the inside mount moves the contact point inward and makes the suspension a little stronger.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

Looks for the reversed and maintenance on the straight. Fleets can use the steer axle tires on the tag without dismounting. Federal regs mandate that 4/32s remaning tread is the minimum for steer and 2/32s on drives. Also depends if the tag steers.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
What is more inportion.

I have a tag axle on my M.H. and I would be more concerned with the breaks on it then how the wheels looked.
The tag axle on my M.H. has a master cylinder all by it self and you should make sure that when you have some one check your break fluid ask them if they had check the reservoir for the tag axle.(not all repair people are aware of another reservoir.)
It's located in back of the dulls wheels up under neath the back of the motor home on a Chevy 36' 1997 Dolphin M.H. it cost me $2,500.00 to repair mine.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
I have a tag axle on my M.H. and I would be more concerned with the breaks on it then how the wheels looked.
The tag axle on my M.H. has a master cylinder all by it self and you should make sure that when you have some one check your break fluid ask them if they had check the reservoir for the tag axle.(not all repair people are aware of another reservoir.)
It's located in back of the dulls wheels up under neath the back of the motor home on a Chevy 36' 1997 Dolphin M.H. it cost me $2,500.00 to repair mine.
Just a thought.
I just had my tag brakes checked and fluid was empty. They filled it up and is working. What did they do that cost $2500?

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Weight capacity is the main issue with cost to swap steer with tag being a secondary factor.

With the wheel mounted facing outward (like a steer) the wheel bearings are more in the center of the tire which allow a slight increase in capacity. Also the tag axle width will be a little wider. With the tag axle wheel mounted like the drive axle (dish facing outward), the bearings are inboard of the center line of the tire/wheel which will put a little more leverage on the mounting point.

These are not huge but there is a difference in weight capacity. Companies like Prevost and MCI just for example must use this style due to the many of them weighing in well over 50k pounds, so every little bit helps. With some coach manufacturers using various chassis, it ends up being personal preference as although they are heavy, the mounting is not necessary for having every last pound of weight capacity.

Take Tiffin for example, they can be manufactured using either the Freightliner chassis which uses the tag mounted like the steer or the Spartan which uses the tag mounted like the drive axle configuration.

Also, MCI and Prevost use a steering tag axle design whereas companies like Roadmaster use a lifting tag design. Again, it comes down to personal preference if you don't have to have the extra weight carrying capacity.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks Mike, your explanation is exactly what I wanted and I guess that is why Greyhound and many touring busses have the tag axle wheel reversed.

Tom
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote