Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedgemaine View Post
Hi,
Other than the issue of stability and weight capability what is the advantage of a Tag axle?
COMFORT!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #16

Find a non tag you like and drive it, find a tag axle you like and drive it. For us it was not even close. Tag handled like a dream. Plus we have ALL the room we could ever need. Good luck in your search.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:57 AM   #17

At Jackson Hole the max length is 40ft. Just another consideration. Drove south from Steamboat Co with 40 kt crosswind to Rock Springs in our 40ft 6 wheeler Itaska Ellipse with no tag. No problem. Just more steering wheel angle and safe speed. Happy at 40.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
At Jackson Hole the max length is 40ft. Just another consideration. Drove south from Steamboat Co with 40 kt crosswind to Rock Springs in our 40ft 6 wheeler Itaska Ellipse with no tag. No problem. Just more steering wheel angle and safe speed. Happy at 40.

There are 40 footers with tags also.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Our next coach will be a tag. Towing our boat puts our single axle over 20k lbs. overweight!!!
20k Over weight ...........not to sure if even a "Tag" would cover this......
Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojohnny View Post
I've only owned single axle Coach's. I've heard about how great a tag axle is. I made the mistake of taking a couple of tag axle Coach's for long test drives. Bottom line: DO NOT DRIVE A TAG AXLE COACH UNLESS YOU HAVE THE MEANS TO BUY ONE AND IT FITS YOUR SIZE REQUIREMENTS ETC. Otherwise you will be ruined for life for ever driving a single axle Coach.
I was told that with Gasser Vs Diesel... I was all set to settle into a gasser and saw that diesel sitting next to it and said "lets drive that"! Like hellojohnny said about the tag axle, don't drive a diesel if you can't afford one!

As for the tag, i'm not so sure about that? A 40' with a tag compared to a 40' without didn't come to critical mass to me. I have no need of towing anything near 5000 pounds so no tag for me!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We chose to get a 40' MH because most above that had tag axles! I didn't want to have to buy the extra tires!

I've been told that tag axles are there for the extra weight, and some say the MH is more stable to drive with them. I wouldn't know about that. My Windsor is rock-solid on the road!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #22

I think the net of all this is:

How big an RV do you need/want? If the answer is 42 - 45 ft., you have made the tag decision. If the answer is 40 ft., you still have choices.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #23

I think another thing you need to think about when thinking Tag vs No Tag is greenbacks. Greenbacks - when was the last time you heard that word? And are you buying New or Used?

If you’re buying new lets use the following example because Winnebago makes it easy on their website to do it. Right now here are the current numbers;

2017 36’ Winnebago Journey $282,082 with Tag
2017 36’ Winnebago Forza is $229,575 with no Tag

Both are entry level Tag and Non-Tag coaches.

That’s $53,000 BIG Ones

If you’re buying used not such a big deal, you can drop down a year or two and settle right into the price you want to pay. Not so if buying new, you have a built in “Greenbacks” reality! So do the math, do what fits and by all means get out and have as much fun as the law allows!

That's the reality and that's the truth, don't you hate reality!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
A 40' with a tag compared to a 40' without didn't come to critical mass to me. I have no need of towing anything near 5000 pounds so no tag for me!
Don't overlook the fact impact on that a tag axle has on the net carrying capacity of the coach itself. Our coach (2012 Endeavor 43 DFT) has what Monaco refers to as the Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) of 6,778 lbs. I can leave home with a full tank of fresh water (~800 lbs) and still have room for nearly 3 tons of "stuff". Yes, I understand that poor load distribution practices can overload an individual axle - but for the most part, we pretty much get to skip over the common concerns that folks with a 40' DP often encounter.

Nor is the 5K towing threshold hard to hit. A quick google search shows that some of the most popular "toads" out there are hovering around that 5K threshold already (2017 Wrangler - curb weight ranges between 3,879 to 4,921 lbs; 2017 Grand Cherokee - curb weight ranges between 4,545 to 5,104 lbs). Even with a lighter vehicle - it's not hard to add several hundred lbs to the curb weight once you throw a few things in the back.

Yes, the cost to acquire and maintain a tag axle is significant ... but the benefits of the tag manifest themselves in many, many ways. As others have said - once you've had one - you'll be hooked!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I think another thing you need to think about when thinking Tag vs No Tag is greenbacks. Greenbacks - when was the last time you heard that word? And are you buying New or Used?

If you’re buying new lets use the following example because Winnebago makes it easy on their website to do it. Right now here are the current numbers;

2017 36’ Winnebago Journey $282,082 with Tag
2017 36’ Winnebago Forza is $229,575 with no Tag

Both are entry level Tag and Non-Tag coaches.

That’s $53,000 BIG Ones

If you’re buying used not such a big deal, you can drop down a year or two and settle right into the price you want to pay. Not so if buying new, you have a built in “Greenbacks” reality! So do the math, do what fits and by all means get out and have as much fun as the law allows!

That's the reality and that's the truth, don't you hate reality!
Is that truly an accurate comparison? That price tag of $53K BIG ones can't solely be attributed to the addition of a tag axle. There's also a difference in transmissions (Allison 3000 vs Allison 2500), generators (Onan 8K vs Onan 6K), 2 furnaces vs 1 furnace. Yes, you pay for the addition of the tag axle - but coach with the tag also includes numerous upgrades in other areas.

Just saying ....
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Our next coach will be a tag. Towing our boat puts our single axle over 20k lbs. overweight!!!

I didn't think that anything you are towing was counted in the GVWR. That is not putting any weight on the axles.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
My Windsor is rock-solid on the road!
Same for my RR8S. No complaints. Two lane road with Semi passing 6 feet away, little wind noise. nothing else. I am more annoyed by the air noise at the door entrance than anything else.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #28

Sapcenorman you do have all those things you mentioned and you pay the $50+ grand for them. Not saying good or bad, I'm just saying!