Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
Is that truly an accurate comparison? That price tag of $53K BIG ones can't solely be attributed to the addition of a tag axle. There's also a difference in transmissions (Allison 3000 vs Allison 2500), generators (Onan 8K vs Onan 6K), 2 furnaces vs 1 furnace. Yes, you pay for the addition of the tag axle - but coach with the tag also includes numerous upgrades in other areas.

Just saying ....
Length: Journey 42E with tag 43'7" 279" wb
Forza 38W wo tag 39'9" 260"wb

Water Heater: Journey - continuous
Forza - 10 gal

GVWR: Journey 44,320
Forza 29,410

GAWR(front): Journey 14,320
Forza 10,410

GCWR: Journey 59,320
Forza 33,000

And the list goes on. An upcharge of 53,000 greenbacks may be entirely worth the dollars.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #44

Tag=more weight capacity not just for ones items but for the coach builder. More capacity means the coach builder does not need to be quite as weight conscious and so that takes a lower rank in what compromises are made in the design/build. The end result is hopefully more or better items in the build.

Still it's kind of a moot question on tag/no tag. Not a lot of overlap from what I saw at least in new product when we were looking. Want a coach 40 or less most are no tag. (Newmar being the exception I recall at 40) Want over 40 ft it's got a tag at least all the ones we looked at.

Tom
Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
For fulltimers having a tag also makes worrying about how much weight you can add with your personal items much less off a problem.

There's room for both in the market, just like there are differnent levels of coach. But comparing a Forza to a Journey is not a fair comparison. That's like compairing a Malibu to a Cadilac. Both are a car with 4 wheels with a substanstial price difference and comfort level
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Sapcenorman you do have all those things you mentioned and you pay the $50+ grand for them. Not saying good or bad, I'm just saying!
I'm not understanding your point. Yes, more amenities, more robust systems cost more - I (and others) are simply pointing out that the $50+ grand cost you're citing is NOT for a tag axle alone as your original post citing it seemed to suggest. That $50+ grand premium you've cited gets you a tag axle and a whole lot more.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #47

maxwedgemaine, I appoligize to you, I feel as though I've quite unintentionally hijacked your thread.

My only point was and is... If you are thinking of a coach with a "Tag Axle" know that you will spend $50,000.00+ for the privilege!

No, it is not the cost of the Tag Axle, it reflects the cost of all the other things and benefits that comes with it! But Dear God let it end here!!!

I feel like a few years ago when I was hunting in Africa. I came upon a Pygmy standing by a huge elephant dead at his feet. I asked how he killed it and he said with his club. I said "that must have been one BIG club" and it said "yes, there's about fifty of us!"
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
So the discussion has gone around to what in my opinion is the most important item - FLOOR PLAN, and FEATURES.

You want to be comfortable regardless if you are towing an extra axle or not. If the two extra tires are a deal breaker you are in the wrong game. $1600 over 5 to 7 years is a very small cost. Don't be so frugal. We are talking about your comfort here.

Pick the floor plan and your must haves/like to haves and the issue of tag or no tag, diesel or gas will be solved.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #49

There is no right or wrong response to a topic like this. Some will argue that a tag isn't necessary, while others would not be without one. Some will say it cost too much and others will say it's a bargain. It will soon fade away and end. However, you can be sure that in a couple or a few weeks, the same Tag vs Non-tag post will show up. The same or similar responses will be posted and the forum goes on.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
My only point was and is... If you are thinking of a coach with a "Tag Axle" know that you will spend $50,000.00+ for the privilege!

No, it is not the cost of the Tag Axle, it reflects the cost of all the other things and benefits that comes with it
Since you used the Winnebago comparison, I just did a quick look on Lazydays RV site and found the following

1-2017 Winnebago Journey 40R Msrp of $325,000.oo (Non Tag Coach)
2-2017 Winnebago Journey 42E Msro of $355,000.oo (Tag Axle Coach)

Difference of 30ķ this is a realistic comparison as both coaches will be very similar, although I beleive the tag coach comes with a few extras.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Since you used the Winnebago comparison, I just did a quick look on Lazydays RV site and found the following

1-2017 Winnebago Journey 40R Msrp of $325,000.oo (Non Tag Coach)
2-2017 Winnebago Journey 42E Msro of $355,000.oo (Tag Axle Coach)

Difference of 30ķ this is a realistic comparison as both coaches will be very similar, although I beleive the tag coach comes with a few extras.
There are two Journey models without a tag. Both are shorter than the 42.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There are two Journey models without a tag. Both are shorter than the 42.
I agree, but I was trying to make as realistic of a comparison as I couuld. I beleive the shorter Journey comes with a smaller engine as well as a smaller transmission as well as being 6-7' shorter.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I got a tag because of three reasons:
1) We liked the floor plan.
2) Friend has a 40ft Damon and he recommended a tag due to driving ease and comfort especially in x-winds (Newmar Comfort Steering in new models takes care of x-winds even on non tag but they are new mega $$$ to us and we paid cash, no loan)
3) Better weight distribution and carrying options.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
So the discussion has gone around to what in my opinion is the most important item - FLOOR PLAN, and FEATURES.

You want to be comfortable regardless if you are towing an extra axle or not. If the two extra tires are a deal breaker you are in the wrong game. $1600 over 5 to 7 years is a very small cost. Don't be so frugal. We are talking about your comfort here.

Pick the floor plan and your must haves/like to haves and the issue of tag or no tag, diesel or gas will be solved.
I can't disagree on this! When I purchased this diesel pusher a tag was on my must have list, which included a ISL engine, hydronic heating,4 slides, side radiator, and it couldn't be over 41' long to fit in my garage. My DW had her list for the floor plan.The 40' pushers we looked at with the tags just didn't have the floor plan, and the basement storage that I was looking for. I still would like the tag, but I'm 100% satisfied with the ride and handling, and I have no weight issues. Regards
Old 11-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
I agree, but I was trying to make as realistic of a comparison as I couuld. I beleive the shorter Journey comes with a smaller engine as well as a smaller transmission as well as being 6-7' shorter.
With the difference in length, engine size and amenities the price upcharge for a tag is not easily compared.

Check out the floor plan that works for you. Obviously you shop within your price range but once you select the floor plan that works you will find in most cases the issue of fuel and tag or not are determined.

It does not matter whether you have a Class B, C or A; gas or diesel, tag or not you are welcome to sit with us at happy hour.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #56

I didn't mean to mislead you as it being a full "tag" section. It was in a variety of places one of them being under the Newmar owner forum and various others. I found it by accident but in hunting around under other manufacturers I saw more references to the tag situation.
Dom Rinaldi
maxwedgemaine is offline   Reply With Quote