Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Tail,brake and running lights on toad not working

Hopefully someone has dealt with this. 2018 Newmar Baystar and 2019 Jeep wrangler sport. I had jeep dealer install their special mopar rv towed vehicle wiring harness ($400.00 +) for connection from the jeep to the mh so all rear lighting on the jeep would work. I plugged it in to my 2020 ram pick up (to be sure it was working) and it worked fine. It's been plugged into the 7pin sockets on multiple pickups and everything works fine. I plugged it into the Newmar and absolutely no lights of any kind. I have plugged multiple trailers into the 7pin on the newmar and all functions work. It just won't work with the jeep. The jeep does not have led lights. I have checked the power on the jeep end of the cable and it is there. There appears to be some disconnect when these 2 vehicles are interconnected. Any help...please! A fairly reputable rv repair shop near here spent hours trying to run it down yesterday, even running a separate ground wire between the 2 with no good result.
honjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Just for sake of curiosity...

If jeep is connected as toad to MH, and somebody steps on brakes in motorhome, and you step on brakes in jeep, will jeep lights turn on?

Some scenario, but maybe easier, jeep still connected to MH. Turn on hazards in motor home. Does Jeep have hazards? If turn on Jeep hazards, so you see a single flash or double flash? Single would indicate MH or jeep is working. Double flash would indicate both are working.

One more test...
Jeep connected to MH, hazards are on. Turn ignition to on. Jeep have hazards now?

This almost makes me think the diodes were put in incorrectly, if at all. But, a reputable dealer should have caught that.

1 more thing to confirm: Make sure Jeep is not using CAN operated lights. Though if it was, OEM tow harness should communicate that. Or you think it would.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If the JL Mopar harness is the same as the JK it requires 12v power from the coach for the lights to work. If your coach doesn't have a 12v hot line in the 7 pin connector you will have to add one. If I understand correctly, the Ford chassis does not come with a 12v hot line to the connector.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The pigtail receptacle on our Wrangler had some loose and slightly corroded screws that were causing some dim lights and some that would not work at all on the Jeep. I pulled the receptacle backing off and cleaned and tightened the wiring end screws...ops nml.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #5

"Lt Dan" is correct; Ford does not provide a 12V charge line on the F-53 chassis. It's up to the coach manufacturer to install a charge line, or make provision for one.

Newmar provides "spare" wires on the Bay Star and Canyon Star (gas model). These wires run between the dash and the hitch connector. Details on how to find and connect the wires to serve as a charge line are here:

What and Where are extra wires from rear
Two Electrical questions 2016 Canyon Star--- Toad & Solar
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

No disrespect but I'm stuck on the fact that you got charged $400.00 for the work. $50.00 plug set and an hour max to do the work.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

I have a set of fuses to protect the 7 pin connector. In my case, located in right rear compartment in a Buseman fuse box.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #8

Mopar charges $475 just for the jl wiring kit. I understand aftermarket kits will not work. That does not count the 2 hours of dealer shop time to install!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by honjackson View Post
Mopar charges $475 just for the jl wiring kit. I understand aftermarket kits will not work. That does not count the 2 hours of dealer shop time to install!

Did Mopar tell you that? It's direct current electricity, if follows certain laws like physics, why would they not work?

I will say this OP, very odd scenario you have going on there.

Might want to talk to a priest.

In the mean time, you can always pick up a set of magnet lights for an emergency and nice to have as a back up and good for testing too. They will get you on the road and back.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #10

Guys, the problem is not in the toad or IV cable. OP says it works fine when connected to a different vehicle. Problem is at the MH and will most likely be the fuses.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If the JL Mopar harness is the same as the JK it requires 12v power from the coach for the lights to work. If your coach doesn't have a 12v hot line in the 7 pin connector you will have to add one. If I understand correctly, the Ford chassis does not come with a 12v hot line to the connector.
thanks Dan- that is exactly what it is. You'd think an RV repair shop would have that in their differential diagnosis! haha
Old 09-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #12

honjackson-

Now you can put the links in post #5 to use, and solve the problem "tout de suite."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, lights, toad