Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Unhappy Tail wagging Motor Home

I am having a problem with my 34 foot 2006 Thor hurricane tail wagging and trying to follow the ruts. Not all of our highways are nice and flat. I would like to know if this problem is common, and if it is, what can be done to correct it.
chaudo43941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Get it to a qualified shop and ensure all suspension parts are tight and in good condition. Track bar bushings might be worn out.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Winnie 35P (new) didn't drive like I thought it should so I added a TruCenter on the front, a rear track bar in the rear, and had the front end aligned. It is great to drive now. If you don't already have a rear track bar, it would probably be worth the expense to add one. I installed ours.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. We're glad you found us.

I think the answer to your question is "yes" it is common.

Feel free to use our search function and you'll come up with hundreds of pages of reading on this topic and possible fixes.

My new 40DP didn't handle the way I thought it should and when the dealer and Freightliner both failed to even really acknowledge that there was a problem I took it to Henderson's Line Up in Grant's Pass Oregon for a Road Test Assessment. They proposed changes like the addition of Motion Control Units, new bell crank, and Safe T Plus steering stabilizer which made a world of difference. These might not be at all applicable to your coach but they worked on mine.

You'll find that the first thing you need to do is to get your coach loaded for travel and then weighed... four corners if possible. Then ensure that the tires are all properly inflated for the weight they are carrying. Only then can you begin to isolate what types of opportunities you might have to improve your handling.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One modification that might help is a Track Bar (Also called a Pan Hard Bar) such as a Davis True Track or Ultra Power track bar.

Google them for more info.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One modification that might help is a Track Bar (Also called a Pan Hard Bar) such as a Davis True Track or Ultra Power track bar.

Google them for more info.
BluOx has one they call TigerTrak or something like that. It is almost identical to some others I have seen.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If rut-tracking is the problem, then a track bar (panhard rod) is the answer on a coach with leaf spring suspension. Davis Tru Trak, Super Steer Trac Bar, etc. will do the job for you. It's simple enough to install yourself if you are moderately handy and have some big wrenches.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Check out "Cheap Handling Fix" in the Ford Chassis Forum. I helps a stop some of the tail wagging and generally improves the overall handling. The fix is free and only takes about an hour for all four wheels. Most drivers report a big improvement overall.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NOTE: Trac bars can be added front, rear, or both (Best is both)

If you have either a Workhorse, or Ford, chassis, check out the ULTRA POWER rear track bar.. From what I have seen and can tell the quality is as good as the Davis, good as or better than other brands, And the price is less.

If you are in the area Barzil's RV, or Redlands' RV are Ultra Power dealers. I may have spelled one of those names wrong.

I have a Davis front trac bar on my coach. Front is usually not as effective as rear (or so I'm told) made a BIG diffeerence.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

For my rig, changing the front tires and running higher pressure in them took care of rut tracking, and new shocks took care of porpoising and tail wagging.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Search the Thor Industries Owner's Forum section too. Other hurricane owners have posted their upgrades on that section.

Don't forget this forum is sponsored by company's who sell RV upgrades so you will get alot of recommendations.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Check out "Cheap Handling Fix" in the Ford Chassis Forum. I helps a stop some of the tail wagging and generally improves the overall handling. The fix is free and only takes about an hour for all four wheels. Most drivers report a big improvement overall.
Yes, & when are you going to get those sticker made up, so we can proudly display them on our rv's to credit you jmckinley.
Has made a world of difference in handling on our F53 chassis.
"Cheap Handling Fix" by J Mckinley.
Thanks again, if you've not seen I already said it.
Neil
Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Good idea C-Leigh. Maybe I can sell the stickers for $100 apiece to everyone who had done the fix and likes it. Better than the one guy who said he was going to give me a big kiss if he ever meets me.
John McKinley
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #14

Coaches with independent front suspension have no benefit from a front track bar (and no one manufactures one for this configuration). Solid axle front suspension, especially with leaf spring suspension, get the same benefit as with leaf springs on the rear. The problem tends to be at the rear since this has the big overhang and is most susceptible to wind and passing trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
NOTE: Trac bars can be added front, rear, or both (Best is both)... I have a Davis front trac bar on my coach. Front is usually not as effective as rear (or so I'm told) made a BIG diffeerence.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote