Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Taking my driving test for class B non commercial tomorrow(10/23/14) in Sacramento Ca

Taking the driving test tomorrow. Went last week to take it but they made me postpone the test as I didn't have another class B license occupant in the vehicle with me. My wife came but she only has a class C. Anything I should be aware of, I don't want to have to postpone it again as my permit expires soon real soon. Thanks in advance.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

I live in Texas and don't know California laws but I assume you are talking about a Diesel Pusher since you are going for a Class B non-cdl. If that is the case, make sure that you can perform the complete air-brake test for the examiner. In Texas you must be able to do this before you even start the driving portion of the test.

Good luck on your test.

WM
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Taking my driving test for class B non commercial tomorrow(10/23/14) in Sacra...

Really weird how some in some states you need nothing more than a regular driver's license .

Good luck
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Does the class B non-commercial license in Califonia require an annual physical exam to keep current?
montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Taking the driving test tomorrow. Went last week to take it but they made me postpone the test as I didn't have another class B license occupant in the vehicle with me. My wife came but she only has a class C. Anything I should be aware of, I don't want to have to postpone it again as my permit expires soon real soon. Thanks in advance.
Take your time, don't let the examiner rush you. When doing your precheck, start where you want, not where the examiner wants you to. They have their checklist, you have yours. I have a Commercial, but it is basically the same. If you read the manual you will be fine.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
Does the class B non-commercial license in Califonia require an annual physical exam to keep current?
No.

And you are lucky if you find someone that can even administer the class B. Took them two days to figure out what written test to issue. They ended up giving me parts of two different ones.

Why would one need an additional B licensed driver along? Try getting someone to tell you how they even measure a large rv. You will get different opinions from many high level CHP personnel.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Is your rv less than 40 ft long? If so you don't need a "b" licence in ca.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

Sorry saw yours is 43' long. Yup got to have one!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
It used to be (and California people can correct me) that they'd give you a vision exam and have you answer a health questionnaire that certifies you are in good health. The questionnaire has to be updated every two years to keep your license in effect. No Doctor signature is required for the non-commercial questionnaire. I believe A CDL requires a doctor-signed DOT physical every two years.

And a non-commercial Class B in California is only required to drive motorhomes (or California calls them "housecars") that are over 40-feet (to 45'). All other diesel pushers do not require a Class B license ...again, California folks, correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: oops, sorry ...others beat me to it ...disregard what I've said.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If they have you pull over and park along a curb be sure to turn the wheels into the curb.
That's to prevent your vehicle from rolling away in case you parking brake fails.

I got dinged on that one.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
When turning the Wheels into the Curb ,remember the Old Rule ( pre automatic transmissions)!

Nose Down Hill Wheels Right ! Stick shift in Reverse!

Nose Up Hill Wheels Left! Stick Shift in Low!

The Old Rule is still Correct ! Low...Left! reverse..Right!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #12

I would think, if the DMV official is qualified to administer the exam, he or she is qualified to act as class (B) co-pilot.

But I guess they're still making up the rules as they go along. Good luck with that....

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:58 AM   #13

I have just been through the process of getting a driver's license for over 26,000 lbs in SC here it's called a Class F license.

Your experience with not being able to take the test is common In SC you first get a "beginners license" by passing the written and eye tests. Then you take the "skill", driving test.

You can only drive the rig needing the advanced license if you have someone with you in the front seat who has such a license and one year's experience. That seems pretty common in most states. That raises two questions plus another issue.

1. How can you legally drive the rig to the testing location? The only legal way is to have the required licensed person with you -- no exceptions. The penalty in SC for improper license is the same as driving without a drivers license - $150.00 and/or jail time for first offense. The penalties go up for second or more offenses.

2. The requirement for the special license is for rigs over 26,000 lbs. If you are getting a license that includes towing, the weight requirement is based on GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating), not the actual weight of the rig. They take that rating from the nameplate on the motorhome. They don't weigh the rig so the actual weight never enters the picture.

3. The tester is not required to have a license for what she/he is testing and most likely doesn't. In any event, the tester can't be of any help.

I was lucky with my test. I needed the Class F license because I was trading a rig that didn't require the extra license for one that did. I was able to take the test with the rig that didn't need the extra license. That leads to a possible solution that I have considered -- not tried, but considered.

1. Rent a truck and trailer that don't need the special license and take the test with those. In SC the law is silent on the weight and configuration specifications required to take the test. If I had the problem, I'd at least inquire about that issue with DMV.

This whole thing is a real mess. DMV employees know only about their special training for their specific job. They have not been helpful answering questions which were not directly about their special job. I asked my tester if the front of the vehicle or the vehicle tire had to be behind the white line at a stop sign/light. Her reply was, "It depends on the vehicle." Really!

DMV can't give you a traffic ticket, so all they can do when you arrive with a vehicle that can't be used in the test is send you away. But you are at risk of getting a ticket from LE. If that happens, you can't even drive the rig home.

Most of us, including me, have driven thousands of miles with ordinary driver's licenses in rigs that required special driver's licenses, but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that action. Some conversations with LE indicate that is changing, and they are starting to check for such things. If you are in an accident, you can be sure that the opposing lawyer will look into it with money on his mind.

Be careful and Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:13 AM   #14

Thanks everybody! Have a Blessed Day.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test