RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

Tandem towing, or welcome to my train

Thinking about pulling my saturn vue and a small boat behind it. What says the hive? I would have another person with me in the event we need to disconnect and pull the boat with the Saturn. Anyone had any experience? I see a few 5th wheels with boats behind them on the road, just wondering if it is the same type of tow. Don't think I have ever seen a RV pulling 2 though.

FYI, total weight of 3500 or less. I know my DP doesn't care, just wondering about sway or slop while towing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Not a great idea and illegal in many states.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

Happens all the time and legal in many states.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Go for it. Very common to see that set up here.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

Tandem Towing

I run a 40' DP with a tandem tow setup, pulling a 2012 Ford Edge toad, with a 12' enclosed utility trailer behind it, containing our K1200LT BMW Hannigan Trike conversion, along with our golf clubs and a bit of other miscellaneous. When we arrive at our destination, the unit is split up and the trailer becomes the garage for the trike. The entire rig is within the DP GCWR. Edge weighs about 4800 loaded, and the trailer weighs about 2900 loaded. Hitch and towbar are rated for 10k. We use an anti-sway bar on the car/trailer hitch.

We are fully prepared to split the unit up and tow the trailer directly behind the motorhome or behind the car if need be.

I researched the question with our home state DOT (MI). and Highway patrol. They said, no law against what you are proposing, and you won't get pulled over in MI. Just to be on the safe side, though, I took the exam and upgraded my DL for what MI calls "Double R" Recreational towing (a designation explicitly created for pulling a boat behind a fifth wheel trailer).

Also researched the laws of all the states we planned to travel through. Overall length may be limiting in some states (we are right at 70' overall length).

We drove through quite a few midwestern and southern states, saw lots of LLE and state patrol (and they saw us), but nobody gave chase. Navigated quite a few very large metro areas with no issues. Just plan your lane changes, exits, etc, well in advance. Tight campgrounds and city streets will likely be your biggest challenge.

Again, research the states in which you plan to travel. Not all will view your arrangement as acceptable.
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I thought about it over the years, but too limiting. Sounds and looks cool, but often you're forced to go to only one or two places where you know you can get it all in and disconnected. For some, that may just be the way they like to camp...visiting a lake or dunes all the time.

Other issues, it really limits the size of the RV itself and is not legal in all states. If you need to get all your toys to one spot, (always the same spot) great, but not for those wanting to see the country.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #7

Great information - we are looking at pulling a 20 ft Car hauler behind our fifth wheel when we go traveling. Will have to check in our state to see if we have a recreational license. I have a CDL AB to M but might need something for the hubby.
Lyndajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
I run a 40' DP with a tandem tow setup, pulling a 2012 Ford Edge toad, with a 12' enclosed utility trailer behind it, containing our K1200LT BMW Hannigan Trike conversion, along with our golf clubs and a bit of other miscellaneous. When we arrive at our destination, the unit is split up and the trailer becomes the garage for the trike. The entire rig is within the DP GCWR. Edge weighs about 4800 loaded, and the trailer weighs about 2900 loaded. Hitch and towbar are rated for 10k. We use an anti-sway bar on the car/trailer hitch.

We are fully prepared to split the unit up and tow the trailer directly behind the motorhome or behind the car if need be.

I researched the question with our home state DOT (MI). and Highway patrol. They said, no law against what you are proposing, and you won't get pulled over in MI. Just to be on the safe side, though, I took the exam and upgraded my DL for what MI calls "Double R" Recreational towing (a designation explicitly created for pulling a boat behind a fifth wheel trailer).

Also researched the laws of all the states we planned to travel through. Overall length may be limiting in some states (we are right at 70' overall length).

We drove through quite a few midwestern and southern states, saw lots of LLE and state patrol (and they saw us), but nobody gave chase. Navigated quite a few very large metro areas with no issues. Just plan your lane changes, exits, etc, well in advance. Tight campgrounds and city streets will likely be your biggest challenge.

Again, research the states in which you plan to travel. Not all will view your arrangement as acceptable.

Thanks tall oaks. I don't plan on pulling this setup through gas stations, unless a truck stop, which is quite doable. I have a drift boat/Raft and its very light and I can pull it easily with the Saturn. Problem is, once you get to the river you have to launch the boat and that can't be done with the RV. The car and trailer need to be taken to a take out and be waiting for you at the end of the day. Thanks for the replies.

FYI legal in most states in the west. I primarily frequent Wyoming, Montana and New Mexico for my fishing.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #9

I have done this a few times on shorter trips, 100 miles, pulling a 1/2 ton pickup with a 10,000lb blue ox, with a 18ft fiberglass boat hooked to the pickup via standard 2 inch ball, all behind a 37ft DP. It actually tows very straight and steady, no swaying, and trails very nice. There is very little difference when making turns.

Have also checked DOT websites and find no regulations against it. I have also drove past patrol cars, DOT weigh stations and have never been stopped.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Legal and not getting pulled over are two different things. Same thing with being 65’+ in the many states with 65’ max and not getting stopped... like GA. In the states where it is legal to double tow, most require a king pin connection... a fifth wheel and then another vehicle behind it.

If you called and got an opinion that you liked, I hope you also got a follow up Email confirmation... but officer, she said I could do this.

This is a fairly good article on this. The list below is lacking in many details: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB80C6D0-CE2B-436B-B2C0-43303BDA9C47.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	287159  
Old 05-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you willing to change getting a ticket? Laws are laws. Yes you get some that say to got for it, they do it all the time. Still does not make it legal.

You have to comply with all of the states that you travel through for length, towing set up, lights and brakes. Check on each state that you will travel through. It maybe legal in some and illegal in others.

Ken
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

A number of years ago I was in Miami Beach on a business trip and stumbled upon a killer deal on a jet ski trailer. I had towed down my motorcycle on a bumper pull trailer and hated to pass on the jet ski trailer. I checked the law on triple towing and it was allowed but the first trailer had to be a fifth wheel hitch and the second trailer on a bumper pull hitch. I bolted a receiver hitch to the rear of the trailer and headed back to Tallahassee and never got a second look. It was done safely with all lights and safety chains in place. As I stated, this was a number of years ago and the laws may have changed.
2Old2Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Legal and not getting pulled over are two different things. Same thing with being 65’+ in the many states with 65’ max and not getting stopped... like GA. In the states where it is legal to double tow, most require a king pin connection... a fifth wheel and then another vehicle behind it.

If you called and got an opinion that you liked, I hope you also got a follow up Email confirmation... but officer, she said I could do this.

This is a fairly good article on this. The list below is lacking in many details: https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN
That Good Sam article is poorly researched. According to the article there is only one territory where it is legal to drive a 45’ motorhome, the rest of Canada it is illegal. If they can’t get the legal motorhome length right then the whole article comes into question as to its validity.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
That Good Sam article is poorly researched. According to the article there is only one territory where it is legal to drive a 45’ motorhome, the rest of Canada it is illegal. If they can’t get the legal motorhome length right then the whole article comes into question as to its validity.
When written in 2011 it was correct for Canada...Post a better link for the US and Canada.

Tags
tow, towing