Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tank level indicator problem

Hello All,
I have a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33c and all 4 indicator lights are reading full, I have only filled the fresh water tank once back in 2012. The propane tank is full, black and gray are empty for sure.
The panel with the switch and indicator lights is labeled Touch Sensor.
Hoping someone else has had this problem and can help.
jupiterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

Tank sensors never work
Leftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Go with the "See Level" system... mounts to the outside of the tank, so the "slosh" doesn't affect the sensor.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftys View Post
Tank sensors never work
Thanks but my sensors were working the day before and have worked since we bought our Bounder in 2012.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Go with the "See Level" system... mounts to the outside of the tank, so the "slosh" doesn't affect the sensor.
Thanks but our 2012 Bounder has the sensors on the outside of the tanks.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterjim View Post
Hello All,
I have a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33c and all 4 indicator lights are reading full, I have only filled the fresh water tank once back in 2012. The propane tank is full, black and gray are empty for sure.
The panel with the switch and indicator lights is labeled Touch Sensor.
Hoping someone else has had this problem and can help.
Perhaps I should add to the story,
We spend the winters in Okeechobee FL and have been at the same RV Park since November 2019, connected to sewer, leave gray water open, black closed and empty every 6-7 days because after 8 years I know we can't go longer, never have used fresh water tank in last 7 years never fill it.
Until 3 days ago gray water always indicated empty, fresh water registered empty, propane registered close to what gauge on tank indicated, black water for last two years always indicated 2/3 even when empty but would indicate when full. I'm not concerned about black tank not indicating empty because I know from years of experience I need to dump every 6-7 days and do so.

We have been having very hot days in the upper 80s and then temps dropped into the upper 30s, this might be way out of the box thinking but wondering if the moisture in the fresh and gray tanks has steamed up and coated the walls of the tanks due to inside of tanks being warm and out side being cold.

I'm thinking that something might be bad with the panel that has the test switch and LED indicator lights.

One thing I know for sure is $$$$ will fix it!!!!!

Thanks again for any help.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have pretty well covered what could be wrong. I'd say the odds are a wire is shorted or open or the display panel circuit board itself has gone bad. The tank itself is a possibility, though.

On my last coach with the See-Level system, enough gunk would build up on the tank walls after some years of use to cause the sensor to give false readings. I would then fill the waste tanks with water and add a cleaner (I used Roebic K57), letting it sit for 3 days to let the enzymes clean up the tank innards. Would be good for 3-4 more years after that. Never had a fresh tank problem, though. We always carried 1/3-1/2 tank of fresh.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Turns out that the starting battery was almost dead, connected charger and all is back to normal.
Thanks for all the replys
Old 03-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think you have pretty well covered what could be wrong. I'd say the odds are a wire is shorted or open or the display panel circuit board itself has gone bad. The tank itself is a possibility, though.

On my last coach with the See-Level system, enough gunk would build up on the tank walls after some years of use to cause the sensor to give false readings. I would then fill the waste tanks with water and add a cleaner (I used Roebic K57), letting it sit for 3 days to let the enzymes clean up the tank innards. Would be good for 3-4 more years after that. Never had a fresh tank problem, though. We always carried 1/3-1/2 tank of fresh.
Absolutely right sir. Great advice I do the same with my tanks at the end of each season and never had a problem with sensors in any of my rigs. The gunk is a combination of organic waste including the natural binder found in sanitary paper. It actually acts like a glue and adheres to the walls of the tank. Even in translucent tanks you cannot see it on the walls, but it's there and it builds up adding to the thickness of the tank wall making it harder for the sonar type sensor to work.

Tags
problem, tank