Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #29
Commercial Member

i have a gerard tankess water heater with a digital thermostat. it works great, if you have a pump that maintains 40 lbs of pressure.
the flo jet pump works great for that. the original pump did not, and we struggled for a while.
when we finally got it figured out, we can take an endless shower at the desired temp, when the water supply is also endless. ie, full tank, or campground hookup.
i have no financial connection with gerard. i am friends with several people who work for them.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i have a gerard tankess water heater with a digital thermostat. it works great, if you have a pump that maintains 40 lbs of pressure.
the flo jet pump works great for that. the original pump did not, and we struggled for a while.
when we finally got it figured out, we can take an endless shower at the desired temp, when the water supply is also endless. ie, full tank, or campground hookup.
i have no financial connection with gerard. i am friends with several people who work for them.
paul maddox
Great news and thank you for your opinion and response.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #31

This might be a little off subject, Sorry.
I'm also looking for a unit that is portable.
I am considering getting a tank less water heater for an outdoor shower.
I'm camping on my own property and instead of using the 6 gallon heater in camper for my hot water all the time I would set up an out door shower.
I would be able to store it in a shed when not in use.

Thanks
Koda-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #32
WDW

Gerard2X - our 2nd MH with a Gerard. We like it, but it can be challenging until you understand it. But when in the groove, unlimited hot water with minimal LP gas consumption.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Hello friends.

Our new to us 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E has the standard 10 gallon water heater. This spring we are going on some long trips and I am wondering is there is a value in a On Demand Tankless Water Hester?

Opinions? Models? Success or Failures?

Thank you.

“On long trips” what does that have to do with water heater? I have never run out of hot water on electric only taking at least 2 sometimes 3 showers back to back.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #34

Just saw this today, so I'm getting in a little late....

We have the Truma on our 2019 and we have two showers in our coach.

Here is what I can say about it....
It works like it should, every time, never even a hiccup since we purchased the coach new 1-1/2 years ago.
Fast hot water, under 30 seconds to our rear shower and once it starts it is truly never ending. If you have propane.... you have hot water.

Down side.. (not really) eventually you will need the propane tank refilled. Although we had 5 people and went for 8 straight weeks, we only filled once and it wasn't empty (just below 1/2 a tank).... we were just at a campground that had easy propane refill station by the office so I did it while checking in. There was no other propane usage in the RV during the trip so only the Truma.

I love it... I endorse it fully.... and if it would fail unexpectedly soon, I would be happy buying another because it works so good.

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for the response. Good news.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Truma! Truma! Truma!
We had, original to our coach, an Atwood hot water heater. It was awful. At the far side of the coach we could rarely get hot water (this could be, in part, a fault in the plumbing design). In the shower, which is next to the heater, water temperature was exceedingly variable between scalding hot and icy cold during the shower. Finally we had a Truma AquaGo Comfort installed. This is absolutely amazing! Consistent and easy to regulate endless hot water at both ends of the coach. We love it!. This is by far the best upgrade we've made to our coach.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #37

We have a 10 gal water heater and I never have run out of hot water. Take l-o-n-g showers but use an oxegenics water wand and use the “marine” method. Have washer/dryer and dishwasher and the gas/electric is fine for two people. We are full-timers on a very long trip!
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #38

I have an Atwood and it is VERY sensitive to water volume moving through it. Goes from cold to scalding. Not good for kids at all.
daad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #39

Love mine!

I have a 2017 Luxe 5th wheel, and I have a Truma On Demand and I absolutely love it. I use it on eco mode, since i live in Florida and i have hot water in 2 secs in the bathroom, and in around 5 seconds in the kitchen, but its continuous. My husband and I are full time, and both work from home (we are in our 30s), so we are home all day. I have a washer/dryer (use warm water for whites) and dishwasher (I'm an avid cook and run dishwasher daily). I go through one 40 lb tank of propane every 1.5-2 months (roughly $40). One thing to note is that my was - i had a pressure regulator on the exterior water hose coming into the RV, the hot water would occasionally cut out. I opened the valve a little more to get a little more pressure, and that fixed the intermittent hot water, and it flows continuously now.
Ivory34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #40

Tankless rv water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Hello friends.

Our new to us 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E has the standard 10 gallon water heater. This spring we are going on some long trips and I am wondering is there is a value in a On Demand Tankless Water Hester?

Opinions? Models? Success or Failures?

Thank you.
We have had Precision Temp RV-550-EC 55000 BTU Off Grid 12V Liquid Propane Tankless Water Heater now for 11 years now and have transferred it to 3 different Coach's and the only issue we had is with a thermistor and we called the company and they overnighted a new one no charge with all the instructions to install it. there customer service department is great and they have been making tankless water heaters for boats for 50 years -- great company
garygalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
No idea if the mentioned tankless heater will work but one thing to check is the temps it says it will achieve based on the ambient temperature of the water coming in. If you do a lot of camping up north where the water temps will be lower it may not have enough BTU's to bring it up to a hot enough temp.

Just built a new house and decided to go with a tankless. The one I finally installed was +190,000 BTU with +98% efficiency. My wife does dog grooming and sometimes runs bath water 6 hours a day plus loads of laundry. We've had 6 guests, 3 taking showers at the same time and have never run out of hot water.

One thing to think about also is the required service on a tankless, I flush mine with vinegar every 6 months. I also have a 200 mesh screen on the outlet of the hotwater heater to capture all the calcium that drops out, which would go to the faucets without the screen.

Also, when I pull the front cover off to do a service there are numerous intricate circuit board, sensors, etc for safety purposes. I would assume that all new water heaters have this, no idea how they would hold up in an RV with the bouncing etc.
It not if the WH will hold up but where are you going get the power to run a water heater that eats 45 amps and still can only get a 40 degree water temp rise at 2.5 gpm. you cannot carry enough propane the run this monster and cannot get that much electric out of a 50 amp pedestal.
druidcat1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #42

We have had Precision Temp RV-550-EC 55000 BTU Off Grid 12V Liquid Propane Tankless Water Heater Wall for 11 years and transferred it to 3 different Coach's with no problems except for a thermistor going out and we called the company and they overnighted one with all the instructions to replace -- it took me about 10 minutes to do -- great company and we used to take out grandkids with us and they stayed in the shower for 30 to 40 minutes back to back with no interruption in hot water. They are not cheap around $1,100 and it cost me $200.00 to get it installed but well worth it now 11 years later. The company has been in business a long time also make tankless heater for boats and yatchs.
garygalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water