Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Tea Pot Sound and then Loss of Power

All, good evening and I am looking for guidance. I own a 2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD 15k miles. RV sat for 5 months starting every month for 30 minutes - fishing in Port Aransas Texas. Observation: Going home and driving down the road at 68 mph with TOAD. Passing vehicles up to to 75 mph with peddle to spare - normal. All of a sudden a "BOILING TEA POT Sound" came from the engine. I released the accelerator sound stopped. Then the motor would race to 5500/6500 rpm and only reach 50 mph. I diverted my plans and drove 5 more miles to the Ford Dealership. Ford diagnosed exhaust manifold leak. Great, I paid what the extended warranty would not pay for rusted bolts that had to be re-tapped. Received the vehicle and attached the TOAD. Drove -No noise and went down the road until the interstate. They coach would only go to 50 mph and I went back to Ford. They called and said no more charge as it is still not operational. Ford called today and they are flipping a coin in the air as to the problem. Maybe a tork convertor or bad motor? I called Thor and they have me the Ford Chassis Support number 800-444-3311. I called support and the Agent went through their “CALL SCRIPT” and I answered their questions and received my Case Action Number (CAN). She asked did they check the accelerator brake sensor. Governor Board? I said those are questions for Ford to answer. I called Ford and gave the CAN and telephone number. They told me they will call me later in the week. Has anyone experienced this same problem?
Engine
Engine, Triton / V10, Chassis Brand, Ford Chassis Model, F-Series Super Duty, Cylinders 10, Horsepower 362 hp @ 4,750 RPM, Torque 457 ft-lbs. @ 3,250 RPM
Displacement, 6.8 litres, Fuel Type Gas, Fuel Requirements Regular, Carburetion Type Fuel Injected, Turbocharged No, Supercharged No

Transmission
Transmission Brand TorqShift, Transmission Type 5 Speed Automatic Overdrive Yes

Thank you for your support - David
DMDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi David! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Wish I could help but I'm far from being a mechanic! Hope you get the problem solved.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Not sure I follow what you mean by "teapot sound". Do you mean a hissing like boiling water?

Did the motor race when in gear or when pulled over in neutral?

Neither sound to me like an exhaust manifold leak based on your description of what is happening.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

If the engine revs to 5500 rpm and you're only going 50 mph it could be your transmission is not upshifting.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Passing others at 75 with pedal to spare? Oh my...

Sucked the turbo or air filter? Valve train dried and burned? (i.e., Bearings)

Seems the shop should have done a compression test... wonder how that came out.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Cat

Catalytic converter may have failed. And partially blocking the exhaust.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #7

Passing vehicles at 75, with a Toad, with pedal to spare?

I am thinking the vehicle is saying that it is being driven too dangerously and has decided to govern itself to 50 MPH so that other people on the road are safe.

It could also be the Toad saying that it is being pulled at a much higher speed than it is rated for and is applying the brakes to slow the coach to an acceptable speed.

Some good guidance to give would be to read the manuals for safe speed while towing and maybe a good RV driving school.
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLifecation View Post
Passing vehicles at 75, with a Toad, with pedal to spare?

I am thinking the vehicle is saying that it is being driven too dangerously and has decided to govern itself to 50 MPH so that other people on the road are safe.

It could also be the Toad saying that it is being pulled at a much higher speed than it is rated for and is applying the brakes to slow the coach to an acceptable speed.

Some good guidance to give would be to read the manuals for safe speed while towing and maybe a good RV driving school.
That's a little harsh. If you can't help then don't respond. I have the same setup in a 2017 class c and if I don't set the cruise control it will run 80 before you know it. As long as you are on good roads.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It sounds like transmission or catalytic convertor or you sucked a mouse nest through the intake. Had that happen once when a mouse chewed through the air filter and made a nest. That's an easy one to see, but not the first place you look.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had several manifold exhaust problems om my 8.1 gas engine and the sounds they made were quite unique and not always the same.

Keep us posted on what the final solution is.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
That's a little harsh. If you can't help then don't respond. I have the same setup in a 2017 class c and if I don't set the cruise control it will run 80 before you know it. As long as you are on good roads.

I am helping. All the innocent people who are around the entitled ones who think that they can drive like that with little to no training. I also offer the same advice to you if you are driving like that while towing a vehicle, some good training and reading the manuals on safe speed while towing. It may not only save you but some innocent person who may just be in your way.

I do hope that helps.
JMLifecation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Catalytic converter may have failed. And partially blocking the exhaust.
Classic symptoms of a clogged exhaust system and pretty bad diagnostics by the dealer if you explaned it to them the way you explained it here.

I think there should really be some restitution made.

You might want to be sitting down when they give you the quote for the exhaust parts.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLifecation View Post
I am helping. All the innocent people who are around the entitled ones who think that they can drive like that with little to no training. I also offer the same advice to you if you are driving like that while towing a vehicle, some good training and reading the manuals on safe speed while towing. It may not only save you but some innocent person who may just be in your way.

I do hope that helps.
+1 Be harsh - make others notice - save lives
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is about as far off topic as this will be allowed to go, there’s no other problem with this side tracking but make your own thread out of it. In fact it would be a great subject for its own thread.

You agreeded to this when you read the Community Rules upon joining iRV2. What’s that your not sure you did read them or maybe just simply forgot them here’s a link to them for review

http://www.irv2.com/forums/misc.php?...ork&page=rules
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loss of power, power