Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
TECMA Thetford toilet won’t hold water

Our 2016 Tiffin Phaeton QBH has a TECMA THETFORD toilet which worked excellently for the first 3 years.
Then it began at times to let all or most of the water drain out after flushing.
The last three months it will not hold any water after flushing....drains bone dry.
It flushes like it should but sometimes you have to double flush because the paper sits toward the front of the bowl and stays dry.
Husband says no idea what problem is and has given up so it is up to me to see if someone out there in the RV world can please help me....
Has anyone had this problem and were able to fix it?
I would so very appreciate any help or suggestions.
dmcquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 02:19 AM   #2

Check to see if there is a vacuum break " and if its working" at the j pipe on yours , might be plugged or its not equipped with one at all. You may be able to replace with J tube that does have a vacuum break.I googled the known problem. TECMA toilet bowl going dry .
https://suitesownersinternationaltra...ill-from-flush
Here is a pic of a J tube with air admittance valve IDK if this item fits your model.
https://www.clothsoutlet.com/thetfor...2v-toilet-pump
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
clean or replace the seal between the bowl & pedestal. If cleaning is successful, use thetford seal conditioner periodically...... worked for me.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #4

TECMA toilet is a macerating toilet......no 'vacuum breaker' and no bowl seals etc
Macerator pump discharge hose controls water in bowl..........height of loop at top \

Bowl drains dry after flush
Water is siphoning out of bowl due to discharge hose pulled down
Discharge hose from macerator pump is pulled down. Straighten hose so that top of discharge hose is in line with toilet nozzle

TECMA Manual
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...enceRV-Eng.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Poor hot water in the bowl.Let it sit for a while and then open the flusher and run your finger around the seal to push it down.
Those instructions came with my new toilet and It seems I have to do the work to the seal every couple of months.
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #6

The Tecma is an electric toilet and does not have the seal in the bottom.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 AM   #7

tecma

I had that problem last fall.
On mine though the grout in the tile was showing some moisture and there was a puddle under the coach.
I pulled the toilet and found the seal from the impeller to the motor was bad.
The impeller unscrews but is a left hand thread.
I ended up replacing the pump since i was not able to find just the seal on the Tecma site.
I still have the old setup and will call Tecma to see if I can buy just the seal and have a spare pump.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM   #8

Please don't follow / buy from link. I posted for pump updated J pipe and pump in my earlier post I qoated ,the websight has poor rating. By all means check the installation of J pipe per manual. The link to Amazon describes the J pipe being updated per reviews with air attmitance valve and 2nd gen toilets seem to have added a larger valve to unit now. Trying to find updated J pipe is difficult so far.Thetford 38056 12V Toilet Discharge Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009E2Y87Q...YFeEb6FSA8KYIf
If you search you will find the people have had issues with siphoning even when properly installed , maybe your just leveled a degree or two different now causing it to happen now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Check to see if there is a vacuum break " and if its working" at the j pipe on yours , might be plugged or its not equipped with one at all. You may be able to replace with J tube that does have a vacuum break.I googled the known problem. TECMA toilet bowl going dry .
https://suitesownersinternationaltra...ill-from-flush
Here is a pic of a J tube with air admittance valve IDK if this item fits your model.
https://www.clothsoutlet.com/thetfor...2v-toilet-pump
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #9

Tecma

The new pump comes with the J-pipe if you need to go that route.

Tags
ecm, ford, tecma, toilet, water