Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Televator while driving

Is there a good reason not to use a televator TV while the coach is in motion? Our salesperson said that it's not recommended but that a lot of people do it anyway. Why isn't it recommended? Is there something we can do to minimize the risk of damage (or whatever)?
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
In our coach, there is some "play" in the televator when in the up position. When it's down, the top fits nicely into the window ledge, thus securing it from moving. Also, in our case" 55" is a LOT of TV to be shifting, even a little bit, when motoring down our wonderfully maintained (sarcasm intended) road systems. I won't take the chance of damaging something when it's not necessary to view the TV while driving.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #3

I seriously doubt will have any issues, my wife enjoys Netflix as we are driving down the road. We have travelled 25k miles with it up and zero issues other than the worse the road the more shake. I believe you will be fine using it as you travel.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Free form thoughts:

1. Does the televator block the view of the driver in any meaningful way? My televator blocks the window directly behind the passenger seat so I can't use it to help see things over my right shoulder. The only time this is needed is when we are in a parking lot or rest stop situation where I might have a better chance to see something that is too far right for the mirror.

2. Is the televator visible to the driver? This might be an issue with some state laws.

3. Do you really trust the televator to be able to withstand the jarring it will take without breaking in some manner?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
In our coach, there is some "play" in the televator when in the up position. When it's down, the top fits nicely into the window ledge, thus securing it from moving. Also, in our case" 55" is a LOT of TV to be shifting, even a little bit, when motoring down our wonderfully maintained (sarcasm intended) road systems. I won't take the chance of damaging something when it's not necessary to view the TV while driving.

Lori-
X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

I make certain to always lower it before travel. Ours is never going to be watched while under way so it makes sense to protect the lift. HOWEVER if I was traveling with kids or a passenger that wanted to watch I would leave it up & not worry about it at all. BTW it's been left up accidentally once or twice & didn't seem any worse for the wear.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all. We haven't actually got our coach yet -- about a week to go! -- but based on your feedback, my plan is, once we've taken delivery, to try to "wiggle" it by hand when it's raised and see how it feels. If it feels good and solid, we'll see about leaving it up so our son can watch TV while we're driving. Otherwise we probably won't risk it and will make him use his tablet instead. (His life is so hard...)
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
What ever happened to the days of playing "I spy" or having a map of the US & marking off the states when you see a license plate on a vehicle from that state & seeing who had the most states marked off at the end of the trip or smacking your sibling & saying "love bug" when you see a VW beetle (OK maybe that last one is harder to do now...not so many on the roads)?

Am I dating myself by saying I don't understand the need for TV (or tablets or phones or some other electronic device) to keep occupied while traveling.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #9

Do you only have one TV? Or is there another one in the bedroom mounted to the wall or ceiling? Maybe your son can watch his showers on the other TV in the bedroom?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our TV has a heavy Koran top on top of the 48". It would rattle shake too much. Oh we drive too much through Oklahoma......