Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

'Temporary' dynamat installation for driver side floor

I have a 2021 entegra vision 29f with the V8 chassis I know dynamat works wonders for doghouse insulation, however my doghouse does not generate much heat (isn't warm to the touch at all), however the flooviard under the driver seat (and to a much lesser degree the passenger floor) gets a lot of heat (will make bare feet sweat very quickly) and obviously makes it impossible for the can ac to keep things cool while driving without the Genny running (which is right under the driver seat and thus is the likely reason for even more heat coming through the floor). I have not been under the coach yet (it is in storage) but i suspect it would be difficult to get good coverage from the underside. I don't want to apply it on the interior onto the floor (ugly and don't want to devalue a new coach for only when we are travelling), so what about applying the dynamat underneath a floor mat that I use and can remove when stationary or otherwise don't want it there? Will that work the same or similar? Anyone have experience doing this or other potential solutions?

Engine noise isn't terrible but would be nice to have some reduction there too...not sure this solution would help that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #2

I've never made a temporary barrier, such as the one that you have described, but I don't know why it would not help the situation. I'm just not sure of how much relief it will provide. In 2 of my past motorhomes, a class C w/460 and a class a w/460, as well as a few classic trucks, I did put a dynamat type product under the carpet that covers the dog house. I also removed the flooring in both and installed dynamat along the entire floor and as far up the firewall I could go. However, the dynamat product is not really meant to be an insulator by itself, but it is designed to stiffen the surface and reduce vibration, squeaks, resonating sounds, etc. Technically you should apply an insulation over the dynamat to reduce heat, sound, etc. I installed a foil backed jute insulation over the dynamat with a spray adhesive. In a couple of vehicles, I also installed an additional layer of mass loaded vinyl. The combination of these 3 layers, in addition to the factory carpet or flooring, really provides good sound and heat insulation. I have also sprayed underneath the chassis in the cockpit area and wheel well areas with a professional type of rubber undercoating. This helps provide protection but also an additional layer of sound insulation. This is probably overkill for most people but I am a Cadillac guy and a little on the OCD side and I like for all of my vehicles to ride and drive as smooth and quiet as possible. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I've never made a temporary barrier, such as the one that you have described, but I don't know why it would not help the situation. I'm just not sure of how much relief it will provide. In 2 of my past motorhomes, a class C w/460 and a class a w/460, as well as a few classic trucks, I did put a dynamat type product under the carpet that covers the dog house. I also removed the flooring in both and installed dynamat along the entire floor and as far up the firewall I could go. However, the dynamat product is not really meant to be an insulator by itself, but it is designed to stiffen the surface and reduce vibration, squeaks, resonating sounds, etc. Technically you should apply an insulation over the dynamat to reduce heat, sound, etc. I installed a foil backed jute insulation over the dynamat with a spray adhesive. In a couple of vehicles, I also installed an additional layer of mass loaded vinyl. The combination of these 3 layers, in addition to the factory carpet or flooring, really provides good sound and heat insulation. I have also sprayed underneath the chassis in the cockpit area and wheel well areas with a professional type of rubber undercoating. This helps provide protection but also an additional layer of sound insulation. This is probably overkill for most people but I am a Cadillac guy and a little on the OCD side and I like for all of my vehicles to ride and drive as smooth and quiet as possible. Good luck!
Thanks. I was considering the below, but as you said I'm not sure how effective it would be on the underside of a mat inside the cab since the primary reason is for heat. At best I am thinking it would just help insulate my feet a little bit the heat would still escape somewhere since it is already inside.

Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069QLVC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-2022, 08:41 PM   #4

1st do a little investigation.. use your cell phone with camera and flash and record from inside under the hatch.. both driver's side and then pass side.. then towards front and rear..
Visit dynamat. Com and look at there products and vids.. expensive but great product..
Then guestamte.. or measure the area..
Warning.. once you start and see. Feel.. and hear the difference... you will not stop.. until you just run out of time..
On my older rv.. I have lost track of how much i used.. maybe 10 boxes.. get the roller..

Then go out under the hood and use cell phone with camera and flash and record under dash area.. and firewall.. it works wonders there..

Oh but wait.. all around gen bay.. and in wet bay.. it just keeps going and going.. this stuff makes the difference ..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-22-2022, 05:23 AM   #5

Look at Lizzardskin ceramic insulation.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Look at Lizzardskin ceramic insulation.
Just checked out their site and while it looks like a great product, the application seems extremely difficult and messy since I will not be stripping my RV to the shell. Do you have any experience applying? Is the thickness and tackiness enough to be able to easily spray on without stripping the RV down? Since I would be applying above tires, and engine components I wouldn't want it to drip/cover something it wasn't intended for (due to poor application, difficult angles for spraying, etc.).
Old 05-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler01 View Post
Just checked out their site and while it looks like a great product, the application seems extremely difficult and messy since I will not be stripping my RV to the shell. Do you have any experience applying? Is the thickness and tackiness enough to be able to easily spray on without stripping the RV down? Since I would be applying above tires, and engine components I wouldn't want it to drip/cover something it wasn't intended for (due to poor application, difficult angles for spraying, etc.).
I have not used it myself. I have seen it sprayed mostly on the interior once all the carpet, insulation, ... has been removed.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #8

I used some sound deadener (off brand kilmat) and foam board with foil in the underbelly while I was at home and had time. But while I was out on a trip getting fed up with the sound (mostly road noise) and heat I bought some of those black foam gym mats that go together like puzzle pieces and cut a bunch to shape and cover the floor for the driver and passenger. I was quite surprised at how much it helped reduce the heat and noise. Pretty darn inexpensive and easy and doesn’t look terrible.
SpruceWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #9

If you are just going to put it under a floormat, just get one of those shiney bubblewrap type windshield sun shades at AutoZone/O'Reilly.

Cut it to fit under your floormat.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:56 AM   #10

Thanks for the ideas. I like the cheaper options provided as an interim option for doing it correctly. I can also get some of this started without having the rig accessible. Thanks again!

Tags
driver, install, installation, floor