Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #1

Tennessee drivers license requirements?

I googled and found nothing concrete. I searched forums and didn’t find anything as well.

There’s several posts where people are saying there are NO special driver licensing requirements. I have a class A that’s over 26k LBS
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
I googled and found nothing concrete. I searched forums and didn’t find anything as well.

There’s several posts where people are saying there are NO special driver licensing requirements. I have a class A that’s over 26k LBS
I live in Memphis. No special license is needed.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 AM   #3

This is from TN website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	253184
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post

Nothing to visit about when there isn't any.

Kind of like non commercial rvs , not required to stop at the weigh scales.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #5

It would appear that RVs are exempt. See the last paragraph below:

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-50-102

------
Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-50-102
Copy Citation

Current through the 2018 Regular Session.

55-50-102. Chapter definitions.;
(11) "Commercial driver license" means a license issued by the department in accordance with the standards contained in 49 CFR part 383 to an individual that authorizes the individual to operate a class of commercial motor vehicle. A commercial driver certificate accompanied by a valid driver license shall be considered a valid commercial driver license;
(12) (A) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:
(i) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) or more pounds;
(ii) Is designed to transport more than fifteen (15) passengers, including the driver; or
(iii) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials, as defined in this section;
(B) However, the following vehicles and groups of vehicles shall not be considered commercial motor vehicles for the purposes of this chapter:
(i) Vehicles that are controlled and operated by a farmer or nursery worker that are used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm or nursery, and are not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier;
(ii) Vehicles designed and used solely as emergency vehicles that are necessary for the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions performed under emergency conditions and not subject to normal traffic regulation. This exemption shall apply to vehicles operated by paid or nonpaid personnel;
(iii) Vehicles operated for military purposes by active duty military personnel; members of the military reserves; members of the national guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time national guard duty, personnel on part-time national guard training, and national guard military technicians (civilians who are required to wear military uniforms); and active duty United States coast guard personnel. This exception is not applicable to United States reserve technicians;
(iv) Vehicles designed and used primarily as recreational vehicles as defined in this section; and
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For years I had RV dealers tell me there was no special requirement for my MH (over 26K) to include my new to me DP. Illinois has a requirement for ANY vehicle over 26K lbs. RVs are exempt from the CDL but are required a NON-Commercial Class, A, B. C etc based on weight.

TN on the other hand has this requirement paragraph I copied from their manual: "Class A, B, or C - Commercial Driver Licenses -
Operators of larger and more complex vehicles weighing 26,001 or
more pounds will need to apply for a Commercial Driver License
(CDL). These licenses include Class A, B, and C depending upon
the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combination
Weight Rating (GCWR), and what is being transported.
Drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMV) require a CDL."

TN does not offer a Non-CDL. The manual clearly states any vehicle weighing in excess of 26K lbs requires a CDL with additionals test for Air Brakes. They do not have a paragraph EXCLUDING RVs from the CDL.

If I lived in TN I would not be checking forums I would be checking with my local DMV. Since I may be moving back to TN in the future I'll be calling before I move no matter what the forums say.

Oh by the way, I just did an online search and the websites supposedly providing info on this subject are wrong. Illinois DOES require a special license for MHs.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

That’s what I figured because I saw that too. Just didn’t know if there was somewhere posted that RVs were exempt from getting a CDL.

I’m from MD and they are the same way. OVER 26k lbs you need a class B ‘non commercial CDL’ and then an extra test or certification for air brakes. As I read the TN DMV stuff online, it looks extremely similar to MD.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
For years I had RV dealers tell me there was no special requirement for my MH (over 26K) to include my new to me DP. Illinois has a requirement for ANY vehicle over 26K lbs. RVs are exempt from the CDL but are required a NON-Commercial Class, A, B. C etc based on weight.

TN on the other hand has this requirement paragraph I copied from their manual: "Class A, B, or C - Commercial Driver Licenses -
Operators of larger and more complex vehicles weighing 26,001 or
more pounds will need to apply for a Commercial Driver License
(CDL). These licenses include Class A, B, and C depending upon
the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combination
Weight Rating (GCWR), and what is being transported.
Drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMV) require a CDL."

TN does not offer a Non-CDL. The manual clearly states any vehicle weighing in excess of 26K lbs requires a CDL with additionals test for Air Brakes. They do not have a paragraph EXCLUDING RVs from the CDL.

If I lived in TN I would not be checking forums I would be checking with my local DMV. Since I may be moving back to TN in the future I'll be calling before I move no matter what the forums say.

Oh by the way, I just did an online search and the websites supposedly providing info on this subject are wrong. Illinois DOES require a special license for MHs.

Drive safe - Richard
Unless I misread what I posted earlier, the TN code states that drivers of 'commercial vehicles' in excess of 26,000 pounds require a CDL. It then specifically excludes RVs from the definition of 'commercial vehicle'.

Did you find something different in the code that requires a CDL for drivers of a heavy non-commercial vehicle?

I have a friend with three bus conversions in TN. He checked and was told that he was not required to have a CDL unless they were used in commercial service. If you have newer or more accurate information, please let us know where you find it.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Before you get a CDL read this:

https://publications.tnsosfiles.com/...3.20160428.pdf

Go to page 6, section 40 to see definition of RV:

“(40) Recreational Vehicle means every motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel, as defined in American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards A 119.2 and A 119.5. The basic entities are: travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and park trailer.”

Go to page page 15, section 2 and 2d to see RV exemption from commercial license:

Section 2 heading:
“(2) Commercial driver licenses are not required for drivers who operate the vehicles described below, under the conditions specified for each:
(d) Vehicles designed and used primarily as recreational vehicles as defined in 1340-01- 13-.02; “

The laws may have changed but this is what I looked at when I got my Class A in 2016.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 07-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

It looks to me that Tennessee requires a permit test then a noncomercial class B license test to legally operate a motorhome with a GCW of over 26,000 pounds with a 10k limit on towing. This is very similar to Ga. many RVer’s claim no special license is required and almost all rv salesmen have no clue. No you will not have to stop at weigh stations because you are not driving commercially, and most likely you will not be able to drive anything with a manual shifter.

I just had a good friend get pulled over in Pennsylvania at the state where he resides by state patrol, he was towing a triple axle road warrior with a Dodge dually, he was forced to sit there for 9 1/2 hours until he could pay a class a non-commercial driver to come and drive his rig. In many states it is the GCW not the GVW. While the heavy duty pick up trucks are legal to drive with a standard license once you combine an oversized weight vehicle behind it you will need a specific license for that set up.

Get the license now or you may be stranded out of state paying large fines and paying licensed drivers to get you to your destination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9248.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	253212
Old 07-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

Like Bill I have had a Tn drivers license for years and been operating a class A with it for 15 years. I have checked with the Tn DMV and there is NOT a requirement for a special drivers license.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
It looks to me that Tennessee requires a permit test then a noncomercial class B license test to legally operate a motorhome with a GCW of over 26,000 pounds with a 10k limit on towing.
No. See post 9. Other state’s laws have nothing to do with Tennessee and anecdotal information is worthless.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #13

A heavy pickup truck pulling a heavy trailer meets the definition of a commercial vehicle. Without the exemption provided for recreational vehicles, a CDL is required then.

That's an apples to oranges comparison when we're talking about motor homes. Also a red herring since that was in PA and every state has slightly different rules.

If someone can provide TN statute quotes which show that the exemption for RVs has been removed, please do so. Supplying information from other states is not helping the OP.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I guess if someone only travels in their respective state then they should only worry about their home state law. However if you travel to other states you might be interested to know if that state has different laws. In Texas you are required to have a NON-CDL class B license if your GVWR or GCWR is 26001 or higher. For out of state drivers it states you must have a comparable license to drive in Texas if you drive a vehicle over 26001. In my opinion if your home state offers a NON-CDL class B or class A I would get it. Then you would be covered in most every state. Obtaining a class B CDL would probably be 100% in every state. Not sure though as I can only speak for Texas.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver