Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #15

I know it's a sellers market but that's just ridiculous. Walk away and don't turn back.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #16

I agree with the no demo policy and practiced the same when selling both my previous DP's. Listed on CL & RV Trader and got tons of calls, "Hello, calling about the motorhome for sale can we come test drive it? No sir we won't be test driving it but you are welcome to come see it. I sold both of them in less than a week with no test drives. I personally have a very close friend that has been looking at buying a motorhome for almost 15 years. He's test drove dozens maybe more (class A's,B's, & C's) & still doesn't own one.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Would your auto policy cover it if you smash it?

Yes
Old 10-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I would be pissed if 10 people already drove my “new” rv. To me it isn’t new with 150-200 miles on it. New is 50 miles or less with the plastic still on the seats!

Unless you live close to the factory, it’s going to have way more than 200 miles on it.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first test drive in my used RV I let the salesman drive it. Gave me a chance to move about inside checking for noise and vibrations and get an idea of the ride & suspension without the distraction of driving something completely new to me. After the first spin and some discussions about the RV and purchase details it was my turn to drive and I was no longer just a looky-loo to the salesman. Not sure this would apply in all cases with the OP's contract scenario but if I was that interested in a particular unit I would entertain a ride along if that was an option before just walking away.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #20

I am surprised that policy isn't the standard policy in the high end RV market...

That IS the standard when large boat shopping... Nobody gets free boat rides..

You first come to to an agreement on price, "Pending boat survey(s) and sea trail".

Then a check is written for 10% of the purchase price, again refundable if the boat doesn't pass survey(s) or sea trial... all in a signed contract.

Once you take it for the sea trial, if you don't like the way it runs for any reason, you back out of the sale and your check is returned...

I remember a friend was selling his boat. He told an "interested" buyer he would take him out for a test ride.... the dude showed up with a cooler full a food, and his family. He thought they were going to "spend the day" out on the water checking out the boat...
Old 10-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
This policy makes sense to me.

The only time I spend in my car is when I am driving it.

Spend very little time driving the MH and a lot of time living in it.

Step 1: Find a floor plan DW likes.

Step 2: Narrow it down to several different makers with the floor plan you like.

Step 3: Make an offer.

Step 4: Test drive to make sure it runs.

Dealers and RV shows are a good way to shop for a floor plan.

I mostly looked at MH from private owners through Craigs list. They were more knowledgeable about the rig and often willing to let you test drive it.

Yes we only look at floor plans we like, not worth wasting time if the floor plan isn’t what we want.

The floor plan can be perfect however if it drives like crap, it’s a no from me. There is a significant difference between how coaches drive and feel when going down the road. Making a offer and working out a price before I know if I like how it drives…. Seems like a waste of everyone’s time.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
Trying to get it narrowed down? You wanted a trailer, maybe a mh, maybe a dp, maybe a class c?
You drove a few DPs. I get the dealer, you are killing time.
Figure out what type you want then ask for a test drive .
Earlier the morning we went to Gander RV, talked to a salesman there about trailers and RV’s. He informed my wife about cold weather ability in trailers which steered her away from those…. He took us for a ride in a used allegro bus which we really liked the floor plan, but it had way to many issues when rolling down the road and a high price.

The sales person at arbogast was not with us when we looked at trailers or with us on test drives on class A’s, so no we weren’t killing time. When we went into the C it didn’t take long to know it wasn’t the floor plan we want, however one could be ordered with a floor plan we like more, I didn’t want to waste everyone’s time working out a price then not liking how it drives.

Yes I have a really good idea what we will get
Old 10-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Well I feel for you but I see the business position. There are lots of looky loos. You have driven a few rv’s already but not bought. Rvs are in low supply supposedly. How would you feel buying a brand new ( at the inflated prices they are now) Motorhome that 30 people before you had taken out for a test drive? Running over curbs etc ( because they are new to Motorhomes).
It isn’t like a car. Once you decide on what you want put some money down like a credit card deposit all clearly written down subject to a satisfactory test drive , your satisfaction . Don’t like it ? Then get your money back. It’s a hassle yes ,but it keeps the driving down to the serious buyers, not the “hey let’s go drive some rvs today”people. Don’t believe those folks exist? If so you haven’t dealt with the public much. Did you look like a buyer “ready to buy” or the guy above to the dealer? The new rv I buy hopefully hasn’t been a “tester”.
Walk into any sports car dealer and say I’d like to take the $150,000 sports car with 7 miles on the odometer that’s sitting on the showroom floor for a test drive ( with no discussion of price or seriousness of an offer ) how far do you think that will go?
Just posting a different view. In days past they probably did have a model they would use as a test drive unit. Now they can sell whatever and not assume the risk.
The thing is, how are people suppose to know how many took it for a test drive? When I purchased a new fleetwood Bounder back in 09, it had 500-1,000 miles on it. They are not shipping via train, semi trailers etc but driven from where they are made to the dealership, thus unless you pick it up from the dealer, it will have more then a few miles on the odometer, sometimes we’ll over 1,000 miles!

I did this two years ago with a car, a lotus evora 400. It wasn’t $150k but had a sticker of $130k, talked to the sales person a bit (at MAG) and after some talking we moved a Bentley and Rolls from the showroom so I could take the Lotus for a test drive, he wanted me to drive it out of the building! After the short drive we couldn’t agree on price, they wouldn’t budge however a year later I have one in my garage. I purchased the car from a different dealership (Gator Motorsports) due to the first one not having one available with the options I wanted. The dealership i purchased from when I went to look at their cars, they ASKED ME if I wanted to go on a test drive. We then struck a deal and they ordered my car for me….. had 13 miles on the odometer, presently at 7,400

I have also only been looking at used coaches (class C was the only new one however as I stated we quickly new it wasn’t the floor plan we like) thus miles on the odometer do not matter, sometimes it can be good for the DP’s to get warmed up and driven a bit! The Allegro Bus was at their lot for over 200 days…..
Old 10-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Unless you live close to the factory, it’s going to have way more than 200 miles on it.
You are correct. I overlooked that point. From factory to dealer is expected. It’s the additional miles put on during demos that would turn me off.

I bought my rig privately and until I was ready to put the cash down the owner did all the driving. When I decided I wanted it and gave a deposit he let me drive.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
NC25T You are right. I could walk into the dealership I bought my used coach from and test drive almost whatever new coach they have in... The owner and the salesman I dealt Know me. I would venture the salesman and Manager "know" the customer from a "Sunday looker" or at least try to.
The car salesman felt you were a buyer and he was right! Just didn't set the hook! .
On Rv's Mileage up to distance from manufacture doesn't matter I agree. I assume used is a different matter but if I see people driving on casual request without some serious conversations I'm not buying from that dealer without some more $ off.
You would be surprised what many ... too many people expect for nothing. I would venture the dealer in question had been taken for a few too many "rides" and needed to put a stop to the joyrides with a hard policy.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #26
Community Moderator

In November 2019, I made the trip from Orlando to North Trail RV to seriously look at motorhomes. It was my birthday, and that is how I wanted to spend the day.

North Trail was a pain in my $$$

I wanted to drive a Newmar Canyon Star on the lot to see how the gas motorhomes drove, as I wasn’t sure if I would be happy with a gas, or if I needed to only focus on Diesel Pushers.

They wouldn’t let me drive it unless I signed my name to a contract.

Finally saw a Tiffin Alegro Bus OPP that was used, and after many hours of pulling teeth, back and forth negotiations, (which their price was WAY too high) they agreed to let me drive it only 30 minutes before they would close (and I had been there since 9am that morning!). I didn’t really like how it drove, and so we left, and NEVER returned…..they had soured my experience sooo much, that I bought my Dutch Star 2 months later from a private seller.

Really BAD customer service.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
...There is a significant difference between how coaches drive and feel when going down the road. .....
I got the impression from your first post that you were an inexperienced RV buyer. From your subsequent post, I see that you are not.

For the benefit of others, there is no significant difference between the handling of RVs. They are all pigs going down the road.

Unless your job is delivering RV or a OTR trucker, RV drivers are inexperienced.

I compensate when driving an RV by going slower. I was driving a Corolla on the interstate in eastern Oregon mountains. I could see at the crest of each hill a huge 5th wheel gaining.

When he passed me, it was a professional driver with a suitable tow vehicle.

I passed him going down the 'cabbage patch' into Pendleton. He was going down the steep grade at the same speed I would in the MH.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
For the benefit of others, there is no significant difference between the handling of RVs. They are all pigs going down the road.
Well, I completely disagree with you about this. The handling IS different, simply because there's a human driving it and every single one of us have a different perspective and reaction to the way certain vehicle behaves on the road (being car or truck, motorhome or even a boat - on the water, obviously).

That's why I still believe test driving is a MUST and it should not be restricted by the dealer or the owner. I just wonder how many of those siding with the dealership in this case would actually buy a car without test driving it first...

Tags
dealer, test