Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you let somebody test drive your motor home?
Yes, if they seem sincere, I'd encourage it 28 40.00%
Yes, but only with a deposit down (like I'm holding a check) 9 12.86%
No, not until I have their money and they get the keys 1 1.43%
No, but I would drive them around for awhile 32 45.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

TEST DRIVES on Class A motor homes??

A number of responses about selling or buying coaches include reference to trying out a coach with a test drive. Threads about suspension, different manufactures, etc. might also mention taking a test drive.

Since driving a new vehicle (that may be worlds different from somebody's comfort level) I wonder how many of you would allow a test drive. Motorcycle shops, airplane shops, and high-end car shops don't allow it, but should we?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Having sold airplanes of all sorts, I can assure you that I always made arrangements for a demo flight. If the plane exceeded the buyers (or my) skills, I would arrange to have a qualified pilot act as primary. I see no reason that you couldn’t find a suitable spot to demo an rv. If you’re worried about tire-kickers, negotiate the entire sale beforehand subject to a demo, and have the buyer put up a damage deposit. Personally, I would never buy something like an rv without a road test. Good luck!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Boat sales do the same thing.
Everything is agreed upon before the test 'drive', sale is contingent on the boat passing the test. Which doesn't just mean that it runs, but that it performs up to the buyer's requirements.

That said, nope, no way in heck a buyer is going to drive my RV, regardless of what sale price we agree upon. That's why I traded in my RV when I bought my new one, rather than selling it myself to get the extra bucks - it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

And because I want everything MY way, I refused to deal with dealers who wouldn't let me drive their RV(s) before making an offer on one. And yes, I fully realize the contradiction there. But there are plenty of RV dealers who'll let you drive the RV, multiple ones if you're undecided, so those are the ones I choose to deal with. (note that I was shopping dealers, not private party sales)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

On a side note. Here in Ontario, you need a Z endorsement to drive air brake equipped vehicles. Chances are, if you have a Z on your licence, you have a tractor trailer licence. If this is the case, you probably are more than capable of driving the rv.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

'test' driving an RV, especially a large lengthy one, is not 'normal' for most folks, unless they already own an rv or similar size or variety...so it's not going to be comfortable for them, and shouldn't be a learning situation since an accident could be in your future.

along with that, 'test' driving an RV is also not the 'same' as with a car for INSURANCE purposes. With cars, you can give anyone with a valid driver license the 'right' the drive your car, with or without you with them, and YOUR insurance would cover any accident. With RVs, motorized RVs, this is NOT the case, you are required to list on your policy only those who are authorized to DRIVE the RV. It's not something you can just hand over the keys and expect YOUR insurance company to pay a claim for a driver that is not YOU. Therefore, YOU are taking on ALL the risk. Not good.
And, THEIR insurance also does NOT cover them while driving another vehicle, certainly not an RV, since many times an RV is a totally separate policy, not just an extension of your normal everyday 'auto' policy, though a few insurers do have RVs on auto policies.

My take on a 'test' drive with a motorized RV, especially the large ones, is to DRIVE it yourself, as the seller, and let the future owner ride along, taking in what they can in the time you have to show them, and letting them know that the ride is fine and driving it is simple. They don't HAVE to be behind the wheel for this to come across.

Would most of us WANT to take a test drive ourselves before we hand over a boat-load of money? Sure. Of course. We'd be in the same 'boat'... but

one way to help in this situation, and to be proactive if you are 'really' interested in a coach, is to have it added to your auto policy, or a policy issued to cover it, even if you aren't 'really' sure if you're going to go thru with it.
It's not a step most folks consider, but it's easy if your company can add it to your existing policy, even if you wind up taking it off the next day, or quoting and 'issuing' you a separate RV policy, even if you lose the downpayment if you decide not to keep it.

for most of us, though, in selling an RV and running into this concern by a potential buyer, is to use the following:
"I'm sorry, I wish I could let you test drive it, but my insurance doesn't allow anyone other than myself to drive the coach... but you are welcomed to ride along!... and once you to a purchase decision and your insurance is in place, I'll be happy to be your co-driver for your first test drive!"
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dealers have insurance to cover test drives. My insurance specifically excludes it. So option 1 is for test driver to prove their insurance would cover them or 2, I drive and they pick the route.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

I have purchased boats, motorcycles and RVs and I have sold all of the above. I would never buy anything without a test drive. When I bought my boat the seller and I went out on the water for an afternoon. It was a lot of fun. When ever I buy a motorcycle I always test drive it. When I bought my Class A the salesman and I went out and we both drove, he drove it out and I drove it back. If you are selling an RV to a private party just have him prove in writing his insurance covers anything that could go wrong.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #8
tcg

The dealer where I purchased my last motorcycle allowed a test drive. I would not have purchased without it.

The boat dealers I've done business with for 27 years also allow test drives. Many times it's part of the final deal and many times it's just done before any deal is stuck.

They even have in water shows where you can take them out for a test drive with a salesman. You just show up for the show and off you go.

When I bought my used Class C I had never driven one before. The owner allowed me to drive it but I was uncomfortable taking it on the highway. I drove it for a bit just to see what it felt like and then I had the owner drive it on the highway at highway speed.

If I were selling I'd drive to a road without a lot of traffic and let them try it out.

If selling a motorcycle I would be sure they had the proper license and then let them try it out.

I've sold two boats, one was just a run about and the other was a cabin cruiser. Both buyers were allowed to take them out for a test drive. No deposit was in place.

I guess it all depends how you judge the potential buyer and how confident you are in you rig.

The only time I would require a deposit on something is if it cost me money to show. A boat in storage for example that requires a travellift to launch.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

I have bought and sold well over 100 boats, motorcycles, planes and RVs, and 90%+ of them did not involve a test drive.

My (ex) stock-broker wanted my 911 and wanted to take it to his mechanic just to be sure it ran perfectly. It never got to the mechanic, and we found it at the town's party district at 3AM. BTW, cops won't do a stolen vehicle for anything that you gave the keys to the driver...you allowed him to take it.

After that, all money up front, and buyer gets 20 minutes to return the vehicle in same condition if they don't like it. When they come back, I sign the title.

A guy did that with a 600cc sport bike I had. He arrived with two of his buddies (both on sport bikes) so he was a bike rider, right? Doesn't matter, his first ride down our straight driveway ended when he froze, didn't turn the bike, and the bike hit the curb across the street, dropping the cycle and causing about $1000 worth of damage. I was still holding the money that he had reluctantly given me before I gave up the key...

I gave rides to two people about boats I had. It takes awhile to launch a boat, get it ready, then take it out and they want to steer it. Both of those sales fell through, all they wanted was to see the area by boat.

Planes and RVs, I did the insurance thing when selling, and when buying just checked them over, noted what needed attention, and bought them as is.

For those that would never buy without a test drive, let the seller know your stance on this before you go see it. Unless you're able to produce money and accept the 20-minute addendum to the Bill of Sale, a good number of people won't be giving you keys.

You look at exterior and interior, noting condition. You start it, tranny into F and R, turn it off, start it again. Try the buttons and lights, look at the engine bay to check oil and air cleaner.

All of that tells you much more than if you're driving it...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I sold my 40' diesel pusher tomorrow there is no way I'd let someone test drive it. I would however, take them for a drive with ME driving it.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 AM   #11

TEST DRIVES on Class A motor homes??

I have purchased many vehicles and am very particular about testing them first. I even inspected new vehicles. On a boat I gave a conditional offer based on a sea trial and an acceptable CV inspection. What did you know? The boat needed thousands of dollars in work to be brought up to specifications. The seller when presented this information immediately reduced his asking price to adjust for the problems. Some things can only be discovered during a full test drive such as brake, engine or suspension noise, improper transmission shifting (if I were not driving I may not notice) overheating of the engine or transmission, improper air conditioning function (dash AC), bad suspension alignment or function, out of balance tires, improperly installed windshield and on and on. The list is very long. I have full inspection checklist for RVs. As a seller I would insist on a firm offer and deposit and I would let them leave alone with it. Also I would want “proof of funds“ and a signed test drive agreement similar to the ones dealers use. That would eliminate the people just browsing from wasting my time and risk. Finally I would ask how much experience they have with large vehicles. If they don’t have any or little I would need to be certain they could cover any damage. Bottom line if you don’t want to allow test drives you won’t get top dollar because you eliminate a major portion of serious buyers. Oh and if you leave your rig at a consignment dealer lots of people will be test driving your rig and you are liable not the dealer in most contracts. If a random person wrecks the rig it’s your problem.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:14 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We just purchased a new Tiffin and we were allowed a test drive before negotiations. In fact, we were allowed a test drive before we decided on which coach we wanted. DW was very apprehensive about driving a 40ft DP and we were not going to commit to anything until she got to drive one. We went to three different Newmar dealers and were never allowed to test drive one without picking out one we were actually interested in purchasing. We had no such problem with the Tiffin dealer, so Newmar missed out on a sale.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #13

I have never...not once...given up additional discount because somebody couldn't test-drive a vehicle. To the contrary, buyers understand the pitfalls and appreciate the 20-minute window after the funds have transferred.

Anything about proof of funds or signing a dealer agreement is wishful thinking since a buyer that might have hurt your coach can simply leave, or say, "...it was like that". Be careful giving your keys to somebody, since nothing in your paperwork includes how long they can keep it.

Worst case, they take it on vacation while you are desperately trying to find your coach. The police can't help you since you gave them the keys...
Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
A number of responses about selling or buying coaches include reference to trying out a coach with a test drive. Threads about suspension, different manufactures, etc. might also mention taking a test drive.

Since driving a new vehicle (that may be worlds different from somebody's comfort level) I wonder how many of you would allow a test drive. Motorcycle shops, airplane shops, and high-end car shops don't allow it, but should we?
when I bought my RV I had never driven a motorhome before. The person who owned my RV let me look it over and then I mentioned taking it for a test drive. He asked if I had driven one before and I said no. So he said let me take it down the road to the school parking lot. its empty today and has a lot of room for you to drive around in. It worked out perfectly. Had areas for me to test the brakes, turning both directions and all that. I would personally never buy something without test driving it first.

Tags
class a, test