Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
Also it still amazes me that anyone can go in and get any size rig and drive off with out any training other than how to turn the lights on and put the slides out.
I agree....at the minimum, the operator of a Class A Motorhome with a GVW of over 25K should have a special license similar to a CDL with an Air Brake endorsement. I know I'll get a lot of opposition to this idea!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy911 View Post
I agree....at the minimum, the operator of a Class A Motorhome with a GVW of over 25K should have a special license similar to a CDL with an Air Brake endorsement. I know I'll get a lot of opposition to this idea!
I agree with you 100%, especially when I see some of the very simple basic questions asked on this forum. A short course on heavy vehicle common sense would go a long ways to helping the "first timer" understand what to look for and would help to get them off on the right track. Education never hurt anyone.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #17

I always thought "freedom" meant you are free to be stupid too. But I guess America is changing.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Some states already have the special licensing... but there is no real training in it...
Here in Texas the biggest questions on the test were what size reflectors do you need on farm trailers !?!?!? The test looked like it was from 1950 or earlier
Old 07-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #19

Yep that's the answer... Before we know the "what and why" of it lets slap a new rule and regulation on it. Oops, my foot just slipped on a wood floor, lets pass a law to use rubber soled shoes! Yes I'm sure that's the answer! Come on guys!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Yep that's the answer... Before we know the "what and why" of it lets slap a new rule and regulation on it. Oops, my foot just slipped on a wood floor, lets pass a law to use rubber soled shoes! Yes I'm sure that's the answer! Come on guys!!!
x2
and you can't cure stupid
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #21

Thanks beaverfever, two against the world of madness... I like it!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I always thought "freedom" meant you are free to be stupid too. But I guess America is changing.

There is a BIG difference between stupid and ignorant. Stupid can't be cured. Being properly and correctly informed (educated) cures ignorance.

What really matters is that a motorhome driver's stupidity and ignorance can not only endanger his/her life ,but innocent others as well.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #23

The main reasons for a CDL license is to be sure the operator can demonstrate safe operation and has an understanding of the size and weight they will be responsible for, plus demonstrating that they can drive it safely. What's so wrong with asking a potential operator of a 30-45,000# motorhome to attend some kind of class that at least points out the important safe operating practices and help them become more informed?? I'm sure with some, a pickup or SUV was the biggest vehicle they had driven before the RV. I'm not advocating a special CDL for RV's but maybe a requirement to attend a certified class before operating one on the road. I'm sure some will throw rocks at this and say it's an imposition on their freedom of choice, but I think safety education is important.

A client of my daughters was behind that motorhome on Teton pass and smelled hot brakes for some time before the smoke and flames started at the right tag. Chances are that if that owner had been shown what can happen when you rely too much on the brakes on a steep descent, he would be camped up in Yellowstone enjoying his vacation.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #24

No shortage of trained, licensed, experienced drivers with downhill mishaps. As a pilot I can tell you the same is true in planes. Those who are going to be safe and competent will find out the knowledge and understand their personal limitations .... with or without regulations. The absence of that is expressed in the old " yup, it's just as easy as driving your chevy for groceries " statement, and it just gets worse from there.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #25

We see evidence of vehicles that have burned every time we travel between our two homes.....in Mesa, and Payson, Arizona. The distance between the two cities is roughly 80 miles.

Elevation in Mesa.....1,240'. Elevation in Payson.....4,890'
Between the two, you pass over Mt. Ord. Elevation.....7,129'
The downhill ride in either direction is long and steep.

One trip not long ago we started counting the number of charred spots along the Beeline Highway (Rt 87) where you could see a vehicle had burned along the shoulder of the road. I forget the total number, but it was well over 100. And that was just northbound. I imagine southbound is similar, if not greater.

Payson and beyond encompasses vast recreational areas and destinations. Many of the vehicles that burn along the roadway are RVs. Motorhomes, trucks pulling trailers and 5th wheels.
A few passenger cars/pickups burn, a few commercial trucks.....and the occasional U-haul with an inexperienced driver also.
When you travel mountain roads you really do see how often it happens.
Most often to people that simply don't know proper or safe braking and transmission down shifting procedures.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #26

Hey Crasher,

If you can get your hands on the video from the paper it would be terrific if you can post it. Would love to see the video from your daughters phone but I don't know how to get it off the phone and onto a video either. All the kids do but once over 20 you lose the ability!

Harry
Old 07-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Crasher,

If you can get your hands on the video from the paper it would be terrific if you can post it. Would love to see the video from your daughters phone but I don't know how to get it off the phone and onto a video either. All the kids do but once over 20 you lose the ability!

Harry
My daughter sent me two pics as she drove by after waiting over two hours. The pic I saw in the East Idaho News was just a picture. She told me what her client saw, but I'm unaware of a video.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #28

Sorry about that your Crash-ness, I misunderstood... I thought you said the paper had a video. Thanks for the post though, all of us have to stay sharp and pay attention!

Harry

Tags
fire, motorhome