Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #15

Sure glad I got mine 4 years ago,just drove around for 10 minutes and back to testing station.
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #16

Interesting development. This specifically says CDL testing, but for a motorhome or heavy fifth wheel, it is still a non-commercial license. I wonder if they will continue to give the non-CDL tests at other locations? (I've got mine so I don't really care, just curious).
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Mikelm48, that's interesting. People in my neck of the woods, and, we have some woods, will have to do at least a 150 mile round trip to get legal. Oh well, such is life. Another Mike
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexcpa View Post
No, in the coach. The examiner actually helped walk me through the steps as I knew the intent but not exactly what she wanted. It is the same thing the big trucks go through.
Centex,
So, am I understanding correctly that the air brake test is actually a test of the MH to make sure it's brakes function correctly? I thought these were supposed to be tests of my knowledge and ability to drive the rig?
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #19

Were there any changes on 7/1/16 other than the locations where you can take the test? And I assume I can still take the written test at any location? Just have to take the driving test at one of the 25 designated loactions?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #20

Also, does anybody know anything definitive on what you need to study for the Class B non-CDL? I've heard this chapter and that chapter, or several chapters, or just chapters from the regular driver handbook. But there seems to be some confusion. I know its a good idea to know all that stuff, but I don't have the time right now to study the 100+ pages of the CDL.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Mike View Post
Centex,
So, am I understanding correctly that the air brake test is actually a test of the MH to make sure it's brakes function correctly? I thought these were supposed to be tests of my knowledge and ability to drive the rig?
Yes, the examiner took me through the air brake test to make sure the coach brakes would perform as required. She also did a safety inspection of the coach to make sure all lights, horn, and wipers work.

Quote:
Also, does anybody know anything definitive on what you need to study for the Class B non-CDL? I've heard this chapter and that chapter, or several chapters, or just chapters from the regular driver handbook. But there seems to be some confusion. I know its a good idea to know all that stuff, but I don't have the time right now to study the 100+ pages of the CDL.
The 20 questions on my test came out of chapter 14 of the CDL hand book.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Were there any changes on 7/1/16 other than the locations where you can take the test? And I assume I can still take the written test at any location? Just have to take the driving test at one of the 25 designated loactions?
No, no changes for the class B recreational license. You can take the written test at the nearest DPS DL office and go to a regional center for the driving test. It took me 4 hours to take the written test and only about 45 minutes for the driving test because you schedule and appointment for that.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Texas Class B License

Deep water.... You haven't said where in TX you are, but I note that Livingston will continue to be a CDL test site. I took my test at Livingston, and I believe it to be an advantageous location because of the Escapees facility there. The DPS testers there deal with so many license applicants in motorhomes I doubt there are any inspectors anywhere in the state more comfortable with RVs.

Also, I can tell you specifically that the written test prep for the Class B non-commercial is Chapter 14 of the Texas CDL manual. The test administered to us in January 2014 took about 20 minutes to complete.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #24

Just wanted to post a follow up on this since DW and myself took the tests last week.

I can confirm that all you need to study is chapter 14 of the CDL handbook. They said as much at the DPS office. I unknowingly had studied all the chapters that the handbook recommended for the Class B license. In retrospect, I'm glad I did - those other chapters had more info on what you really need to know about driving a big RV. I'm now amazed at how little knowledge one is required to have in order to legally drive a giant MH up to 45ft!

So after answering 20 questions about how high off the ground reflectors should be and where the lights are positioned on a tractor we both passed and inquired about taking the driving test. Our area testing center (Austin) was booked 30 days out and only scheduled appointments for 30 days out. Not good since we are planning on leaving in 13 days on our full-timing journey. So, we called the Waco office and were told that their earliest opening was for 18 days out. Just as we were about to begrudgingly accept, the lady remarked, "Oh wait! We had two cancellations for tomorrow if you can make that." You bet your butt we can!!!

We rolled into Waco the next day in the MH ready to take the driving test. Nobody asked us how we got it there, so no issue with that. First the examiner had me demonstrate the operation of the signals, lights, flashers, etc. Then we did the air brake test which the examiner walked me through step by step. No problem. Next it was time to drive. I had to back up for 100 feet while staying in my lane lines. Then the dreaded parallel parking!!! The parallel parking basically consisted of backing up from one lane into an adjacent lane without going outside the lines of the lane I was backing into. Pretty easy really. After that the examiner just had me drive around town a little. I lost a few points for not checking my mirrors enough even though I WAS checking them and thought I was being obvious with my head movements looking at the mirrors. I guess the lesson here is to really, really, really exaggerate those head movements. Despite that I still scored a 92 and DW got a 91.

We're legal! Watch out America, here we come!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Congrats! I took the test at the Waco office too. It's easy to get to and has plenty of parking room.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations! Travel safely.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #27

excellent info, my mirrors are out front don't really move my head to look at them

happy motoring
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Our area testing center (Austin) was booked 30 days out and only scheduled appointments for 30 days out.
Congratulations indeed. I took my test in Marble Falls about 4 years ago for exactly the same reasons as you. I have an employee that we are trying to upgrade to a Class A CDL. He discovered the same thing as you. i told him to go to Marble Falls. He inquired and was told that they no longer offer CDL driving test, and that there are only 25 Skills Testing locations in the whole state of Texas now. I'm not sure if this is true for non-CDL, but that's pretty rediculous and explains the long waiting lists.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas