Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #43

Thanks barmcd

Michael
3browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
At least now the DPS has seen fit to publish information on their website concerning the Class A & B Exempt license.

In 2012 when I got my Class A Exempt, I had to instruct the clerks in the local office that I needed a Class A Exempt license. I was told by a License Office clerk that I didn't need a CDL to drive an RV and my Class C was all I needed. I told her that was not true and explained the vehicle class requirements. She called over a DPS Trooper and he agreed with her that all I needed was a Class C. Knowing that they were incorrect, I called the DPS headquarters in Austin and talked with an upper-echelon manager and explained the situation. She verified that I needed a Class A Exempt license and said that she would notify the local office. I called the local office a few days later and they confirmed that I needed a Class A Exempt license. And that wasn't the end of it. When I asked for a learners permit for the Class A Exempt, I got the deer-in-the-headlights look. This time, several manager-looking types huddled in the corner discussing my request then they made some phone calls. Eventually, they said okay and everything progress in an orderly fashion after that. However, I took my driving portion of the test at an DPS office close to where I stored my trailer. That office was aware of the Exempt class licenses. I passed the driving test with a few minor mistakes.

The CDL-Licensed friend that went to the driving test with me told me the last time he parallel parked an 18-wheeler was the day he took his driving portion to get his license.
Sounds almost identical to my story, in 2012. I drove myself to the test. No questions and the examiner was not a DPS trooper. However, he did know the rules about non CDL A&B licenses.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
did mine in Quitman tx a few years back. drove through a few streets and parallel parked, a 40 foot bus it was funny
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Meant to follow up with confirmation that the location for the Class B driving test in the Austin metro area is the Megacenter in Pflugerville. I actually was able to get an appointment with less than 2 week lead..it was to have been this morning actually.

I say "was" because I've had the worst of luck as of late from being down with a stomach flu all of last week to finally venturing out to prep my coach on Sunday afternoon for the test this morning only to encounter some gremlin where the battery cutoff switches in the battery bay are no engaging power to the coach...ugh...another problem to sort out. Funny it fired right up last weekend......[emoji36][emoji21]☹️[emoji848]

But the way to schedule is via the number I posted earlier...I'll need to reschedule once I get mines working again.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #47

Where did you find a CDL RV training course?
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Where did you find a CDL RV training course?

I haven't taken a course..just studied the CDL handbook section 14 and took the written test. Then scheduled the driving test.

I'd owned a Class A motorhome before getting the diesel pusher that didn't require a special license which I drove for several years. Aside for a bit more length...air brakes...the extra axle..and a lot more weight..it handles about the same...actually better with the much better suspension....
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #49

I took the same test in South Carolina many years ago right after the law was first passed. When I went to the DMV and asked about the test I was told no one was qualified to give it yet but would be soon. DMV finally sent someone to get qualified, I took the written test and scheduled the driving test.

I had to bring my toad because pulling one is a separate endorsement. When the examiner asked who drove the coach to the exam I told her I did. (She really was very nice) The examiner stated only a properly licensed driver could drive the coach, I said really, who would that be since the law is new and I'm the first person to take the test!!! After thinking about it for a moment the examiner smiled and said guess you're right, then gave me the test!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Follow up:
I finally took my driving test today....the delay was various reschedules I had to make due to work happenings not them...they were very accommodating. As a matter of fact, I called on this Monday to schedule and was given many different slots and dates this week ..and I chose today at 1pm.

The test process was very straightforward. I was walked through the air brake test just to verify correct operation of the braking system. They also check that your signal and brake lights were working. Then I was asked to back up about 60 feet with the evaluator waving me back and then gave me the signal to stop. No parallel parking. The rest was just driving around Pflugerville with verbal turn directions from the evaluator. One key thing..on right turns, remain in the right lane on the turn even if you expect you will be turning left later...as when it was obvious that we were heading back to the DMV center...oops...point deduction [emoji52]

I highly recommend doing your test at the Pflugerville MegaCenter....just be sure to have the obvious: license, registration, insurance and inspection report (that I didn't have but they were nice enough to pull it from the system and gave me a printout to boot).

Call the Pflugerville Supervisor Kimberly Ortiz at 512-486-2803 to schedule....as mentioned, very quick schedule within the same week I called!

Tags
texas