Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I know, I have one. The point is you take the driving test at the same place where the class A and B CDL applicants take the test. You can take the written test at any licensing office.

I don't know what that list is, but you can only take the driving test at 25 centers across the state. I took it at Waco.

Abilene
Amarillo
Austin - Denson
Corpus Christi
Cuero
Dallas South Mega Center
Eagle Pass
El Paso Northwest
Ft Worth Mega Center
Hearne
Houston Gessner Mega Center
Houston North Mega Center
Kilgore
Laredo
Livingston
Lubbock
Odessa
Paris
Rosenberg Mega Center
San Angelo
San Antonio Southeast
Terrell
Waco
Weslaco
Wichita Falls
The list of sites that I presented is
(Non-CDL) Class A and B Exempt Vehicles Test SiteThe list you show is
CDL Skills Test at these Driver License Offices

Driver Information & Resources

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I know, I have one. The point is you take the driving test at the same place where the class A and B CDL applicants take the test. You can take the written test at any licensing office.

I don't know what that list is, but you can only take the driving test at 25 centers across the state. I took it at Waco.

Abilene
Amarillo
Austin - Denson
Corpus Christi
Cuero
Dallas South Mega Center
Eagle Pass
El Paso Northwest
Ft Worth Mega Center
Hearne
Houston Gessner Mega Center
Houston North Mega Center
Kilgore
Laredo
Livingston
Lubbock
Odessa
Paris
Rosenberg Mega Center
San Angelo
San Antonio Southeast
Terrell
Waco
Weslaco
Wichita Falls
Actually the email response from the Austin-Denison center made the explicit distinction between a Class-B Exempt and Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and instructed me to contact a supervisor. I left a message but didn't heard back yet so I'll follow up on Monday.

Here's the email content:

Thank you for your request. For a Class-B Exempt please call Pflugerville Supervisor Shontel Choice at 512-486-2802. Currently our office is only conducting CDL drives.

Thank you,
Austin-Denson CDL
cybersaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Wanderer View Post
DW just took the test in Livingston. She passed the driving with a 100%.

Have noticed RV dealers say different things about a class b license. I believe an easy way to know you need it is if your motorhome has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds.
Livingston would be great but I don't see them in the list. How'd your wife schedule hers...is there an email or just by dialing the office directly?

Thanks...
Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Too bad Marble Falls is no longer on the list, after the 2016 re-organization. I took mine (Class A) there in 2012 as a walk-in. Had to go have breakfast at the Bluebonnet Cafe and come back in an hour for the test.
Definitely too bad as eating at the Bluebonnet Cafe for any reason is always a good reason
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #33

Not trying to hijack this thread but this subject is important to me. In Alaska you do not need ANY kind of special endorsement for ANY size motorhome.

I know many states DO require special endorsements and I know it varies from state to state.

Here is my question; if you are legal in your home state are you legal in ANY state?

If not how can you possibly cope with all the state to state variations?

Hope that's not to stupid a question.

Michael
3browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3browns View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread but this subject is important to me. In Alaska you do not need ANY kind of special endorsement for ANY size motorhome.

I know many states DO require special endorsements and I know it varies from state to state.

Here is my question; if you are legal in your home state are you legal in ANY state?

If not how can you possibly cope with all the state to state variations?

Hope that's not to stupid a question.

Michael
Yes for drivers license Michael.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post

You cannot take the test at all those sites, especially if your coach has air brakes. You don't have to pass an operator air brake test, but your coach has to pass the air brake safety inspection and not all those sites have an examiner qualified to perform that test. I went through this exercise last year when I was trying to find a place to take the test. I was told I could take it at any CDL site, but cybersaaab's post puts that in doubt too. I know I was going to have to wait two months to get an appointment at Pflugerville and was able to get in to Waco in a week.

We are a CDL training provider at the College where I work and we now have the ability to give our students the CDL test on graduation which has reduced the backlog at the CDL test centers. They were full of new students trying to pass the CDL exam which went from 45 minutes to 3 hours. Texas did a horrendous job of rolling out their new testing procedures. The driving test for the exempt licenses are still only about 45 minutes long.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaab View Post
Livingston would be great but I don't see them in the list. How'd your wife schedule hers...is there an email or just by dialing the office directly?

Thanks...
Livingston DPS phone number is (936) 327-6806.
A couple major points:
>You do not need to take written test and driving test at same office. My DW took written test in Rosenberg. Have to drive within 30 days of passing written test.
>List floating around this site...most of the sites do not/no longer offer driving test. Found this out the hard way. Web search is your friend.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #37

You know it's like insurance, you don't need it till you do. Husband took his test in Paris, TX and was glad he did. I got him to take an RV driving course first and it just made him feel more comfortable and confident. Me too. He drives the Moho better than a car! We may never get stopped but it's nice to know he's legal if we do. Now I need to do it! It's a big beast and it's foolish to just think you can just hop behind that wheel and take off without any knowledge about how to drive it. Contrary to what the sales people say It IS different than a car. :-)
TB
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Livingston DPS phone number is (936) 327-6806.
A couple major points:
>You do not need to take written test and driving test at same office. My DW took written test in Rosenberg. Have to drive within 30 days of passing written test.
>List floating around this site...most of the sites do not/no longer offer driving test. Found this out the hard way. Web search is your friend.

Thanks...I'll give them a call tomorrow as well as see what the Pflugerville supervisor has to say...and will update this thread.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #39

I'm on deck to do mine in Texas. Sounds like it was fairly straightforward. Congrats.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #40

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem15 View Post
I'm on deck to do mine in Texas. Sounds like it was fairly straightforward. Congrats.
Yes. When DW took driving test a couple weeks ago the tester checked for both plates, horn operation, all lights operable, stop lights operating, blinkers operating. There was no walk around, no air brake questions, no safety equipment check. Only driving, about 20 minutes. Rig used was our American Eagle 42F.

The test was in Livingston.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes. When DW took driving test a couple weeks ago the tester checked for both plates, horn operation, all lights operable, stop lights operating, blinkers operating. There was no walk around, no air brake questions, no safety equipment check. Only driving, about 20 minutes. Rig used was our American Eagle 42F.

The test was in Livingston.

Sounds like Livingston is the way to go! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post

At least now the DPS has seen fit to publish information on their website concerning the Class A & B Exempt license.

In 2012 when I got my Class A Exempt, I had to instruct the clerks in the local office that I needed a Class A Exempt license. I was told by a License Office clerk that I didn't need a CDL to drive an RV and my Class C was all I needed. I told her that was not true and explained the vehicle class requirements. She called over a DPS Trooper and he agreed with her that all I needed was a Class C. Knowing that they were incorrect, I called the DPS headquarters in Austin and talked with an upper-echelon manager and explained the situation. She verified that I needed a Class A Exempt license and said that she would notify the local office. I called the local office a few days later and they confirmed that I needed a Class A Exempt license. And that wasn't the end of it. When I asked for a learners permit for the Class A Exempt, I got the deer-in-the-headlights look. This time, several manager-looking types huddled in the corner discussing my request then they made some phone calls. Eventually, they said okay and everything progress in an orderly fashion after that. However, I took my driving portion of the test at an DPS office close to where I stored my trailer. That office was aware of the Exempt class licenses. I passed the driving test with a few minor mistakes.

The CDL-Licensed friend that went to the driving test with me told me the last time he parallel parked an 18-wheeler was the day he took his driving portion to get his license.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas