Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #1

Texas title application receipt

I received my sticker for my new motorhome from the Texas Department of motor vehicles and I noticed that the empty weight is listed at 33,200 lbs and the carrying capacity says 0 lbs and the gross weight is 33,200 lbs. The dealer sent this info in, the empty weight is correct but the gross weight should read 44,000 lbs. Will this cause problems if ever stopped by DPS. Is this normal ?
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

States screw stuff up all the time for titles and things.

My mom got a new Corolla in 91. Much later on (2009 or so) I sold her my newer car and took her Corolla as a partial trade. The tax assessment stated it was a manual transmission when it wasn't.

My motorhome is listed with as a "Dodge VC" on the title. Van chassis? The VIN tag ID's it as a Dodge B30, rather than B300 which is what the van model was for 1 ton in 1978.

Thing that is strange is that there actually was a "Dodge VC" it was a truck made around 1939-1947 so it's not a wrong title for the van, the VIN matches. It's just some oddball thing that was entered into the system when it was new and it's stuck that way now.

I had a 244cc scooter that was being charged as if it was over 250cc (the reg was 249cc and under one price, 250cc+ another price). motorcycles and scooters get rounded up usually to a round number. A 244 to 249cc gets called a "250" so the system had it as a "250cc" when it wasn't REALLY.

I contacted the main vehicle reg dept and they said they'd look into it. They eventually sent me a check for 2 years of overpaid registration with a note saying I was correct and it had been fixed in the system.

I'd say as long as your VIN matches and it's not WAY off on the description of what it is (ie: says it's a passenger car when it's a huge motorhome) you might be ok. You might end up paying less registration since many states go by weight of the vehicle.

Your best bet, if you are worried about it, is to take it up with the TX DMV.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
It just depends what the title clerk at the dealership submitted. I've never had a vehicle in Texas correctly registered for the full GVWR, and I've never had a problem. Could it happen - I suppose anything's possible, but based on my experience, it's not likely.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not loose any sleep over it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally, I'd get it corrected. You state that you carrying capacity is about 12,000 pounds. If you don't ever expect you are going to use that then correct it to whatever you want the carrying weight to be.

A few years ago i purchased a 2005 1 ton dually and I did not want to pay the higher fees for a vehcile over 8000 pounds, at that time. I registered it for 7900 pounds.

While traveling around the counry, in Rhode Island, I was going across the toll bridge to Newport, RI. I purchased tokens which were $1 each and when purchasing 10 tokens the first pass through was free. One day the toll booth operator stepped out and flagged me down. Said that I needed to pay more because my vehicle was over 8000 pounds. I showed her the Texas registration receipt at 7900 pounds and she was upset but let me pass. I had no more problems crossing that toll point.

Just sayin' - you never know.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

Numbers dont seem to make sence here--at least not for a motor coach. I am guessing your total vehical weight [total max coach weight [12-13k front axle and 20k rear axle] plus towing capacity[usually 10k hitch]] is 44k [about right for a 40 ft coach????]. If your "empty weight" [new term to me] is 33.2k, that suggests your additional carry capacity is 800lbs.
PS--Of course, my numbers dont apply if this is a tag axle unit!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

This made me dig out my Arkansas registration to see what it says.

It lists it as a 1978 Dodge with no model. But for body it shows "MH". It lists fuel "G", Cyl "08", Unladen Weight "6400". Shows no displacement (used for motorcycles) and for axles "00" (axles may apply to trailers and mobile homes).

My insurance shows it as a 1978 Dodge VC which I think is how the old TX title showed it. I used the old TX title to get insurance on so I could register and get a new title for it. AR didn't opt to put "VC" for the model though on my registration. I don't recall off hand what the title says.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, texas