Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #1

Thank God for my Safe_T-Plus

I purchased a Safe_T_Plus and had it installed on my Hurricane 33T this Spring. I honestly believe it saved my life yesterday. For the past month, I have had the Class A MH in the shop, having the awning replaced, the Captain's Chairs and Couch removed, recovered, and reinstalled, as well as completing the standard oil change and annual roof inspection. I was driving it from the repair shop, back to its covered storage space in Crestview, Florida. That requires approximately a 30 mile trip Eastbound on Interstate 10. At about the 34 mile marker, I was passed by an 18-wheeler. He apparently decided that was a good time to take a nap, as his rig started rapidly moving into my right lane, with his front cab only about 10 feet in front of the cab portion of my Class A. I had no choice but to rapidly move onto the right shoulder, frantically blowing my horn. I crossed over the Florida "Wake UP!" rumble strip placed on the shoulder, which was quite frightening at a speed of 65 miles per hour and was driving completely on the right shoulder before he woke up and put his rig back into the left lane passing lane. I honestly thought the Good Lord had decided it was time for me to come home. It is the closest this 66 year old has come to death. There is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that I probably would not be alive today had I not had that Safe-T-Plus on board. Best $650 I have ever spent.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Glad it turned out ok. New underwear is cheap.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I purchased a Safe_T_Plus and had it installed on my Hurricane 33T this Spring. I honestly believe it saved my life yesterday. For the past month, I have had the Class A MH in the shop, having the awning replaced, the Captain's Chairs and Couch removed, recovered, and reinstalled, as well as completing the standard oil change and annual roof inspection. I was driving it from the repair shop, back to its covered storage space in Crestview, Florida. That requires approximately a 30 mile trip Eastbound on Interstate 10. At about the 34 mile marker, I was passed by an 18-wheeler. He apparently decided that was a good time to take a nap, as his rig started rapidly moving into my right lane, with his front cab only about 10 feet in front of the cab portion of my Class A. I had no choice but to rapidly move onto the right shoulder, frantically blowing my horn. I crossed over the Florida "Wake UP!" rumble strip placed on the shoulder, which was quite frightening at a speed of 65 miles per hour and was driving completely on the right shoulder before he woke up and put his rig back into the left lane passing lane. I honestly thought the Good Lord had decided it was time for me to come home. It is the closest this 66 year old has come to death. There is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that I probably would not be alive today had I not had that Safe-T-Plus on board. Best $650 I have ever spent.
You went off the road to keep someone from hitting you. I'm glad to hear you made it through OK. What I want to know is what makes you think the Safe-T plus saved your life?
Lynn
Old 06-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it had a happy ending!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You went off the road to keep someone from hitting you. I'm glad to hear you made it through OK. What I want to know is what makes you think the Safe-T plus saved your life?
Lynn
Those "Rumble Strips" Florida puts on their Interstate Highway Shoulders are very deep and can make the vehicle steering wheel pull sharply in one direction when only one side of the vehicle is rolling across it. This is especially so with an RV. Also, on Florida Interstates, at least on this one, the shoulder is extremely rough while the travel lane is very smooth. With one side of the MH riding the Ruble Strip and the other on the smooth travel lane, there was a lot of pull on the steering wheel. making it difficult to maintain control. Even with the Safe-T-Plus, I had some difficulty keeping her going straight at 65 miles per hour. Without it, I believe I would have lost control of the vehicle.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Great job and excellent situational awareness!
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

Great job handling your coach. We got the Safe-T-Plus too so I'm glad to hear it works.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

I also think the safe t plus makes a big differences, when you drop off the
shoulder. I've done it with the safe t plus,and without in Fl. on I 95.Glad
things worked out for you.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

So happy you are ok. My question is why were you passing on the right? Drive right pass left is the RV mantra!
Jnllodholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnllodholz View Post
So happy you are ok. My question is why were you passing on the right? Drive right pass left is the RV mantra!
Read the post again. He was in the right lane and was being passed by the 18 wheeler.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the story

A big YES for the Safe-T-Plus
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad to know your Safe-T Plus worked. Makes me feel better that I installed one. Hope I never need it to save my A$$, I just feel good about the insurance.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hope to install a Safe_T-plus next spring. Budget this year will be spent next week when my coach goes into the shop for a new radiator.