Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #29

You definitely need to secure the roller, not the arms. Velcro will do diddly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #30

Wow Mickey and all of you who have had this happen. That is some scary stuff that we as newbies do Not want to ever have happen. LOL we'll be lucky to get down the road to start with without having an awning outstretched, and flapping in the wind too. So, we will be having a travel lock installed on ours before we take it out on our 1st official road trip. I like the awning travel lock because from what I read on the site we can operate it while we're standing on the ground using our awning pole, and not have to try to climb up on the roof to lock, or unlock it every time. With my husband and I both being disabled that is certainly a major plus for us.

I'll be ordering one just as soon as I make sure of which one we need to order. Thank you all for the info because that is something we wouldn't have even considered had we not ran across it on this awesome site. Have A wonderful day!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:17 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of years ago we were heading west on I-10 in the Palm Springs area. Heavy traffic, high winds, etc. This guy pulling a travel trailer passed me going downhill when his awning caught the wind and came completely apart. It tore fabric, arms, roller, EVERYTHING off his trailer and put it right in front of my motor home. There was nothing I could do except plow right over it since traffic was close and heavy. I pulled into a rest area at the bottom of the hill to inspect the damage, and much to my surprise there was none. Both the motor home and toad went over a lot of iron and there was no damage to either one, not even a tire or tank punctured.

Yes, tie those things down. The next one might come through my windshield instead of being spit out from underneath!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That Camco unit looks like a similar setup to my aluminum hand made one, with the added caveat that it can be latched/unlatched from the ground instead of up on the roof. I might look into that. For those of you with the lock that goes into a hole drilled in the end of the roller; have you had any trouble with the pin lining up with the hole? I keep thinking that any variation when you roll up your awning could cause the hole to be in a just slightly different position and cause a problem.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #33

Okay, do the anti billow arms on the AE awnings work?? I have them on all my toppers and porch awnings. Always felt safe with them installed, but you guys are worrying me.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #34

Hi All!

Coming out to the west this winter, passing thru New Mexico and our slideout topper unrolled. Slapped on the roof and broke our roof vent, scared us to death, and tore the fabric some.

In Quartzsite we looked at ours, and given our coach is a 2008 we found the vinyl was dry, and brittle on all our toppers. So we made a deal with a vendor there to replace the fabric on all of them.

Ours are Dometic A&E with the anti billow arms.

When the installer came, I shared our story with him and he inspected and pointed out that 2 of our awnings (1 was the one that deployed in the wind) were not installed properly to allow the anti billow arms to engage in the bracket on the coach when the slides were in.

He said he had installed thousands of awnings, never heard of a properly installed one with anti billow deploying without the slideout first opening.

Note: once the slideout is out,,, they will unroll and flap in a bad wind. Nothing locks the roller. We ran into that in Wyoming last summer, had to put our slides into save the topper.

Not saying ours are better, but evidently the A&E system works if properly installed. Check to make sure the anti billow arms engage the bracket when your slide is in.

L.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
We're not really talking about a topper awning here tho.... (I also had one of those deploy a few yes ago as well). We're talking about a patio awning (close to 20' long) and when one of those deploys it's truly a nightmare.... It can do massive damage to a rig if not gotten under control ASAP!!!! Forget the damage to the awning - it's usually history the minute this happen - it the damage it causes once it happens....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Just ordered ours for the Carefree Eclipse. The inventory is at zero for the Carefree but the gentleman said he would have one made in about a week to 10 days. Just in time for us to install and leave Yuma.
emanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
We're not really talking about a topper awning here tho.... (I also had one of those deploy a few yes ago as well). We're talking about a patio awning (close to 20' long) and when one of those deploys it's truly a nightmare.... It can do massive damage to a rig if not gotten under control ASAP!!!! Forget the damage to the awning - it's usually history the minute this happen - it the damage it causes once it happens....
I understand, many toppers are now 20' with the full side slideouts. And the question was asked by Mike in a previous post, do the anti billow arms work. Based on what I learned the answer is Yes.

L.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Just received my awning lock and will install it this weekend.... Nice looking device...

Here's what it'll look like installed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3224.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	155126
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I installed the Camco Awning Clamp on my RV last season. It was easy to install and the latch/release mechanism works as advertised. With our rough highways and high CA winds, I wanted added protection to secure my 14' A&E manual awning.
RV Awning Clamp - Black - Camco 42556 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryH1481 View Post
I installed the Camco Awning Clamp on my RV last season. It was easy to install and the latch/release mechanism works as advertised. With our rough highways and high CA winds, I wanted added protection to secure my 14' A&E manual awning.
RV Awning Clamp - Black - Camco 42556 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
Is it easy to use (latch/unlatch) from the ground?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Is it easy to use (latch/unlatch) from the ground?
Very easy...I use the same awning rod that is used to pull awning out. Reach up, insert rod end in Camco clamp latch and pull down to latch or push up to unlatch. Camco clamp has removable links to adjust the length and tension of the latching mechanism. Safe travels!
Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
UH OH !!!!! Think I may have a major issue.... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3229.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	155326

As is shown in the attached picture, my awning (and probably yours) has a metal cover that covers it when it's closed....

That cover won't allow this new locking device to slide up enough so that the lock portion can make contact with the roller.....

Can't position the lock so that this is possible... A portion of the lock needs to slide over the awning shaft which puts lock into correct position... Because of the awning cover, the lock won't slide up as it needs too....

Will call manufacture tomorrow and see what he suggests.... I don't see a fix myself but we will see...

Tags
awning