Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
Probably not from Camping World. However, they are OK for toilet paper.
I would buy where you get the best price. I bought at cw Portland, Oregon. $234 msrp. Paid $165k. Full tank of diesel, propane and def. Plus tax, tags and $150 fee. New 2016 winny Forza 36g, February 2016.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #16

New versus used is an interesting discussion. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. New gives you a warranty but also the issues that come with a house on wheels and all that can go wrong in construction. It also comes with a cost. Used gives you a lower price but much more of a buyer beware situation. Are you getting someone’s well cared for baby or are you getting the lemon that the seller couldn’t wait to dump? If it is the latter, then you are on your own and your savings can be quickly eaten up.

We bought at the Hershey Show and the deal we got was way below what we expected to pay. We had shopped around quite a bit and had been hitting the shows for a few years before we bought. We started with a wish list of what we wanted, or perhaps more accurately, what we THOUGHT we wanted. The shows give you an idea of what is out there and what other things you may need to consider before buying. Think long and hard about what you would like to have in a home and what you would like to have that home sitting on. Most of all, enjoy the search. It can be fun and a bit daunting!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
We seem to be partial to Lazydays Tampa.
We bought our 2008 Monaco there in 2010.
A short time ago we went south to find some warmth, stayed at Lazydays campground, spent 2 days at the Tampa show, looked around "just for fun" and took home a used 2017 Entegra Aspire.

I love my new coach, and the Lazydays "Crown Club" experience is to die for!
We bought our used coach at Lazy Days Tampa too, this past February. I had researched for about two years prior to buying. We had no intention of buying at Lazy Days or buying used, but the coach was to our liking as was the price. However, Lazy Days has many issues that have been discussed on this forum. I found them to be very spotty. Some good some bad.

They promised me a new left headlight, since the one in the coach was damaged. They ordered and gave me the right headlight within a few days of buying, which they demanded I return after I told them I needed to other side. Now, months after the purchase, I still do not have the headlight and after numerous calls and texts, they tell me they are looking into it. Yeah...right.

Their finance guy was very nice...initially. My wife took to him right away...since she thought him handsome and funny. LOL! He failed to meet a deadline for getting us the paperwork, which caused us some discomfort (like finding a notary in Sunday). When he tried to sell me on a very expensive warranty, I said sorry not interested. His nice demeanor quickly turned rude and dismissive.

My salesman was nice enough, but I could have done without his constant refrain of, "this coach is like brand new!"...which he said immediately and often after walking into the coach for the first time. Then he wanted me to limit my test drive to 10 minutes, which I ignored and drove the coach for about an hour on both interstate and side roads. Do people buy a used coach based on a 10 minute test drive?

PS. Don't buy anything at their on-site store. I found their prices marked up considerably compared to Amazon.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #18

I've done well both buying and selling via Craigslist. I did buy one new RV, a Nash trailer, and I used the internet to find the best price, negotiated over the phone and drove from Sacramento to Coos Bay, OR to get it. I saved about $3,000 compared the best price I could find locally. The local dealer wouldn't negotiate even after I showed him the OR price.

I only had one, minor warranty issue that Nash authorized for repair at a local independent RV repair shop. Note, I was lucky, so do some research before buying from a remote dealer.

Before shopping to buy, you need to shop to decide what you want to buy. Once you've narrowed things down to make/model/year range/mileage range you're in a much better position to actually shop to buy.

Otherwise you'll just be comparing apples and oranges with too many variables to know if a deal is good or not. The toughest part of all this is determining a fair price. In my experience, dealer advertised prices, both new and used, are grossly overstated.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #19

Best place to buy Class A

If I had it do over again, I would seriously look at some used motor homes. Find what you like at RV shows and internet. Then look for some low mileage, well maintained used RV's. It is amazing how many really good deals are out there.

Based on our one and only Class A experience, I have two absolute, 100% ironclad rules; (1) I will never own another Thor product and (2) I will never buy another RV from Camping World.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE bought from a private seller. It looked like a showroom unit, Storage kept, had all the paperwork and logs, only 17K miles. So for STARTERS, when I started looking as a rule of thumb I DO NOT LOOK at rigs in FL or the Tx coast line (And a few other states that are hit/were hit by hurricanes and flooding in the past few yrs) I'm very selective when it comes to rigs from our northern states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Vermont, NH, NY et al because of the salt on the roads and extreme weather conditions. We got ours in Dallas, but AZ and CA and OK had some nice ones too, we just go lucky I guess. There's much more research that goes into it, but I don't want to write a book. lol. But for starters that's how I approach it.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyroy View Post
Looking to buy our first class A. Been an avid camper for 50 yrs, but nearing retirement and ready for our class A DP. Looking at the Tampa RV Show in Jan or the Hershey RV Show in Sept.... I have heard the mfg discounts are deeper at these 2 large shows.

Opinions or advise?
Not Camping World, Not Lazy Dayz.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #22

Save additional money (sales tax) by buying from a dealer that isn't in a city. Here in Tucson the RV dealers are just outside the city limits and buyers save 2.6%.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #23

Check out RV.org. They rate RV's and have information on the selection and deal processes. Good RV hunting for a good RV.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyroy View Post
Looking to buy our first class A. Been an avid camper for 50 yrs, but nearing retirement and ready for our class A DP. Looking at the Tampa RV Show in Jan or the Hershey RV Show in Sept.... I have heard the mfg discounts are deeper at these 2 large shows.

Opinions or advise?
Well, it does sound like you've made up your mind to buy new and you should be able to get 30% off of MSRP at a show somewhere. Also summertime in FL is a good place and time to shop.
If you're looking for upper level, along with newness, then I'm assuming that you have deep pockets, otherwise you'll be spending about the same for new entry level as you would for a quality used Coach of some level.
With buying used, you have a lot of options, with my favorite being consignment dealers and whereas you can shock them with a low ball offer, without having to deal with emotions that you'll get from a private seller and especially if they're underwater with a loan on it.
Just make sure you have your check book in hand, so that he knows you're serious and not just kicking tires. Make a PDI as part of the deal, as well, so you don't have to spend days on end looking for trouble on one, that's not going to accept your offer anyway. And by the way, PDI's should be done by independents, so never hire a fox to guard your chicken house.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Look at www.MHSRV.com

They have a great website, great location with lots of motorhomes to look at.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Save additional money (sales tax) by buying from a dealer that isn't in a city. Here in Tucson the RV dealers are just outside the city limits and buyers save 2.6%.

Most states levy the sales tax on the address of registration not the location of the dealer. Some states do have funky laws that assess the dealer's location tax but most owners will pay the sales tax based on their residency.

Tags
ace, class a