Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #29

The closest thing to a Cadillac Motorhome was the gmc Motorhome which was built 40 years ago it had a Cadillac - Oldsmobile transmission and front wheel drive front suspension. This is a fact so you weren’t too far off course and it is still a popular and sought after Motorhome by folks that like this iconic oldie but goodie and parts are still available. I should add this coach actually did ride like a Cadillac suprisingly better then my diesel country coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A gas Newmar or Tiffin would represent the best of the gassers today. I think some folks think that some of the models built on the Workhorse UFO chassis might represent a well built, nicely optioned gasser from the used market. We just purchased a 2003 Model Winnebago Chieftain and I can tell you that it is a very nicely appointed gas rig, it just lacks updated technology
Old 05-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I made that mistake buying a brand new '81 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham with the dreaded diesel. I was young, just starting out in the Real Estate business and wanted a larger car to carry my clients.

OMG, that Oldsmobile was a piece of junk. I did keep it three years and 48,000 miles but it was drinking oil like crazy. I never bought another GM car after that. I did join the class action lawsuit and received a check for $10 (ten dollars), really!

I made it my mission to put Oldsmobile out of business and my 'one man crusade' worked! LOL!

I moved on to a 1984 Peugeot 505 STI gas version and that was a nice good running car (Black with mink leather), first car with heated seats.

Mark
I got to ask...did you even test drive it? My uncle owned a service station back then and I remember him laughing at people that bought diesel cars. Then a peugeot? Man... glutton for punishment.
At a time when you could buy leaded fuel and diesel was like $.51/gallon.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I got to ask...did you even test drive it? My uncle owned a service station back then and I remember him laughing at people that bought diesel cars. Then a peugeot? Man... glutton for punishment.
Yeah - I had to laugh at that. From a Olds diesel to a Peugeot. That was about the only way to go downhill from the Olds diesel.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You didn't state whether you were talking about new or used. For gas - if you are talking new the best today are the Newmar Canyon Star followed by the Tiffin Allegro Open Road. Today, all the gas chassis are the Ford F53.

If talking used, then the Caddie would probably be the Newmar Mountain Aire on the Workhorse chassis, 2005 to 2007. That would get you W24 chassis with the 8.1L Chevy engine and the Allison tranny. If you go 2006 or 2007, you would get the 6 speed Allison.

Caddie in the DP line? Wow. Hard to guess. There are so many. The Newmar King Aire should be great. The best would probably be a Prevost bus conversion. However if talking used, Prevost is in there as well as the Blue Bird Wander Lodge. Foretravel and Newell are great coaches too.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #34

I would say the winnebago adventurer
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #35

Caddy of gasser would be a mid grade class A probably a lower end of the full basement storage models. Something like a Fleetwood Bounder or similar priced coach. Not the nicest but quite a bit better vs the lower end class a coaches as well as and class C.

Sticking with Fleetwood since that’s what I am more familiar with, I would probably say a Doscovery would be close to caddy. It’s quite a bit nicer vs the entry level DP’s and doesn’t have all the fancy high end stuff that the American coach, Prevost etc all have

To some caddy is a top model however it’s like a corvette where it’s a bang for your buck vehicle. Thus nowhere close to top of the line....

The CT’s-v and arts-v are very impressive vehicles. All the new gas coaches use the same V10 and trans.... if your considering older gas, I went with a workhorse v8 over the ford engine/chassis, much better setup
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #36

The Cadillac of gas or diesel motor homes is the coach that you can afford. You can get a good coach on any brand. Most of your coach companies have their top tier and your lower cost motor homes. If you buy the top tier most of them are manufactured with quality materials, better wood on cabinets, better counter tops, ceramic floors instead of cheaper materials. But you can also get a lemon on the most expensive coaches. If they are mechanical, they can break. The more amenities, the more chances are of failure on some components.

Now as to Cadillacs, I have owned three and as a matter of fact I still own a Deville with the Northstar engine. The other two were Eldorados and they have all been excellent cars.

Now somebody posted that GM had manufactured a diesel Cadillac? I never saw one, but I did see an Oldsmobile and it was a piece of trash.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #37

I agree price will decide what MH one would consider to be the best. This question can go on for years, NEWMAR - PREVOST the list goes on and on. My version of the best is going to be a MH within my budget.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #38

Asking which is the best on this forum will only get you prejudiced opinions based on what they have. A lot is in the eye of the beholder. Most will promote what they have in part to justify their choice. What's a Caddy to me is a Chevy to someone else. What's just as important about any brand, is the dealer supporting it. I've been a satisfied Tiffin owner for 15 years partly because of the dealer. The same could have been true with a Newmar or Fleetwood coach if there was a good local dealer. I would not buy a Winnebago but some think they are the best. Personal opinion again. The OP should take what he reads here with a grain of salt. We all have our favorites, but they might not work for him/her.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Mr. Todd, of course I drove the Olds on a test drive. It drove well like any new car would. I was young (23 yrs.. old) and was not mechanically inclined/savvy. I wanted a large car that would get good mileage and it did.

It ran well for about a year then things started going haywire. Remember, hindsight is 20/20. The diesel Olds came out in '78 and I never really saw any negative info about them (way before home computers/laptops). Not only was the engine a problem, everything else about the car was shoddy (driver window fell out of hit holder, trunk lid didn't fit well, transmission had difficulty, etc.)

And, my Peugeot was a good running car. No trouble with it. My cousin and a friend had a diesel version Peugeot and another friend had a gas version although I had the sporty STI. Peugeot's had a 'popular' run in those years.

Moxxi, and to stay on topic..... if I were looking for a gasser, I would look at Newmar and Tiffin to start. Good factory support is going to be your friend.

RayChez, yes, Cadillac put the diesel engine in Cadillac's too. A fella I know had a '81 Cadillac Seville with one and still has it as far as I know (haven't seen him in a few years).

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Remember the oil embargo when Carter was president? They had gas rationing in California where I was living at the time. Based on your license number, you could only fill up every other day and I can assure you leaded gas was way more than $.51 a gallon. Can't speak for the rest of the country but I don't think there were any "good deals" on fuel, gas or diesel.

Peugeot is still in business, more than can be said for Olds.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think mine is the Cadillac of gas coaches, too bad that a current manufacturer doesn't make one like it.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Our neighbors had a Olds diesel for a while. That dang thing was louder than the farm tractors at idle.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote