Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Well, that is one problem this late in December in NE Ohio, there isn't any decent, safe storage around. I'd be headed several hours south to find any.
did you try Ruffs RV in Euclid?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #30

At this point, I think you're spending more energy resisting change than what it would take to comply.

Given the same situation, I'd likely do no more than "comply" though. Set back is set back, even if it's only an inch.

No lawyer, but I believe if you are issued a citation, documentation showing that you are moving to make the necessary corrections might work in your favor if you land in court - though I doubt I would try to convince anyone you can't dig a few post holes or pour cement in cold weather. Might not be convenient, but it is possible. As mentioned, temporary fence not that difficult (or expensive) and that would be worst case.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #31

We had the same issue as you. Cut the fence and move it back. You can put the fence back up in the spring. Your only other option is to move it to a different location.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #32

People are bringing up the fact that a fence can't be installed in winter.

That's really not the issue. I don't believe the city requires him to have a fence, unless there is a pool.

It sure helps with controling the dogs but so does a leash.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Hate to be scrooge. Laws are there for a reason. You can comply, try to get them changed, and/or face the consequences.
As they say, you can't fight city hall. And I add, you can but you better have some pretty deep pockets.
I learned a long time ago to pick and choose my fights. This is one I would no way choose to pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
At this point, I think you're spending more energy resisting change than what it would take to comply.

Given the same situation, I'd likely do no more than "comply" though. Set back is set back, even if it's only an inch.

No lawyer, but I believe if you are issued a citation, documentation showing that you are moving to make the necessary corrections might work in your favor if you land in court - though I doubt I would try to convince anyone you can't dig a few post holes or pour cement in cold weather. Might not be convenient, but it is possible. As mentioned, temporary fence not that difficult (or expensive) and that would be worst case.
Look at this with a different perspective if you would. If the city doesn't have you comply then they have trouble getting anybody else to comply and so they become very stubborn. It really pays to be involved in local governments, which seems counterintuitive to being a RV nomad. Since it's a bit late to get involved in the laws that are now developed to the point where they're going to hammer you over this I suggest you comply or move. We lived in a town where developments had to get the approval of the original landowner for color selection on their house. I now live in the rural area with no zoning and sometimes I miss it because of the amount of rubbish in few disrespectful folks yards. All in all, I'm more happy with people making their conscious decisions to be respectful of others in their community and than being forced to by busy bodies.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry but you either comply or move it to storage.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #35

Or take the coach out on a trip for a while
Old 12-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #36

Instead of the city you need to find the old widow lady in the neighborhood that is where your problem is find her and explain your hardships and try to be her friend. The head man at my city zoning department gave me this advice years ago. He said 99 % of the time that is where the complaint come from and the have to act on them. I am surrounded by four of them and I do what ever I can for them take them a plate of food when I cook out ask them over for dinner on special occasion . And it doesn't hurt to do it. I also now have the best burglar alarm and surveillance money can buy.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #37

Well,
You've been given all ranges of answers. There's only one or two ways to handle your situation. And, you've already found out that, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN HERE, PERIOD!

We've been RVing now for over 35 years. In that time, we've owned 3 homes. Two were in the county of San Diego. Our third, most likely our last, and present one is in Lake Havasu City AZ. One thing was and is common in all those homes, in all those years, is we searched for and purchased homes with appropriate parking for RVs, boats and what not. Now, these have not been in way-out, out of civilization type areas. No, they were and are, in regular residential neighborhoods. But, they've all had the accommodations for parking the RVs, WITHOUT parking them in the front yard or, in an obstructing way of our view or, do not comply with local and city ordinances.

What does all this mean, it means that we thought AHEAD OF TIME in that we knew we'd need to have the kind of property to handle our needs but, still be withing nice(r) neighborhoods.

Now, if a couple or person already lives in a neighborhood that is under local and or city ordinances prohibiting parking of any RVs in given situations, (like yours), then decides they'd like to purchase an RV, well, then in what I think is, in all reality, you've got two choices.

1. Move to a property where you can have your RV at your residence WITHOUT violation of any RV parking ordinances.

2. Store it, in a storage facility of your choice.

At least this is how I look at your situation and anyone who's either thinking of purchasing an RV and lives in restricted parking neighborhoods or, is looking for a home and, want's a nice neighboorhood AND ALREADY HAS AN RV. Good luck on your situation.
Scott
Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #38

My wife and I are new to Rving and recently purchased a new TT. Our town also has a bylaw on TT/RVs and driveway parking, which provides for short term parking (less than 3 months and NO habitation) and frankly I agree with it. We store our trailer 15 minutes away in a RV dealer lot and campground. There are several homeowners in the neighbourhood that violate the bylaw and I would hate to live beside or close to them as we purchased our home for good money and enjoy the appearance of the community. If everyone parked their toys in the driveway the place would soon look like a sales lot or worse "dogpatch" as not all owners maintain their belongs with the same level of attention. My advise save the search for sympathy and MOVE IT, your neighbours will thank you.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #39

CRANKSHAFT,

One more thing you might want to try (or at least verify) is that the city is enforcing the right code.

I had a similar situation several years ago. A Code Enforcement Officer showed up at my door and told me I would have to remove my coach from the property. He showed me a copy of the city code, and based on that code, I was not in compliance.

I went to City Hall and did some digging. Turned out there were/are two different codes. One for Commercial properties, and another for Residential properties. The Code Enforcement Officer was applying the Commercial code to my Residential property. The primary difference was that the Commercial property code was very specific and listed "Travel Trailers", "Utility Trailers", and "Motor Homes." The Residential Code just listed "Travel Trailers".

I showed this to the City Code Manager, and told him I didn't have a "Travel Trailer"... so the code did not apply to me. He took it to the City Attorney, who admitted that I had found a loophole (or gap) in the code. That was bout 10 years ago and my coach is still parked behind my house.

My point is... sometimes Code Enforcement is just going off what they think they know. May not hurt to be absolutely certain.

BTW... as another poster suggested, I think in your case I'd just remove the fence, back the RV up a few feet, then erect a temporary fence to keep the dogs in. Then work on something more permanent in the Spring.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #40

consider yourself lucky. I was given 10 days from the date of the letter (two days once snail mail got it to me) to move mine. In the short I moved it at the cost of $100/mo. Cheapest I could find near Tucker, Ga.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Local ordinances are always tough. Where we used to live there was an ordinance that no vehicle longer than 29 feet could be left on the street. It was the only place I could park. No one ever challenged us about it so all was well but we were aware that it could be an issue. In the neighborhood where we live now there are no ordinances and the HOA has no rules. I was the first to bring a motorhome into the neighborhood of 76 homes. I did ask my neighbor that would see it and they made one request which we did comply with just to stay on the good side of them.

Now about the inability to install a fence this time of the year. Not sure why cement cannot be poured now. I'm in VT and construction does not end in the winter. Foundations are poured so I have to believe that cement for fence posts can be poured also.

Lastly I agree with many in that you are fighting a losing battle. Store it for a few months and then remedy the problem so you can bring it back home.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #42

FWIW Fence posts don't need cement. local fence companies stopped using it as they claim better without it. That led me to think he was extending his pad. Which is it? Temporary dog fence is easy.
Closed Thread

Tags
tow