Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW Fence posts don't need cement. local fence companies stopped using it as they claim better without it. That led me to think he was extending his pad. Which is it? Temporary dog fence is easy.
Actually, some temporary fences may violate code. There could be a strict ordinance involving the types of fence as well.. Just a comment. Many of these areas have codes written by people with nothing better to do. I've also found in my years that many of these government employees would be unemployable were it not for their government job.
jt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW Fence posts don't need cement. local fence companies stopped using it as they claim better without it. That led me to think he was extending his pad. Which is it? Temporary dog fence is easy.
I have hundreds of fence posts two layers of 10 foot tall fence posts to keep the deer out of my orchard. The fence posts are simply pounded in or put in with post hole diggers. I also know if you'd like to dig a hole put in your post and backfill it with a bag of concrete mix it will harden as it gets wet and you'll have met the requirements.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Please help, this is such a minor matter compared to all the issues plaguing the city of Mentor. The city is being a real Scrooge at Christmas time.
Thank you for reading
You are not dealing with the whole gov't just one part of it and that part has the responsibility for your issue. They have the ability to deal with it.

I'm guessing that your RV has been in place for awhile and people in the area do not like the look of it.

I agree with others who say; move the RV into storage and then comply with the law.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Geez,

This whole fence is making a mountain out of molehill. That's what they make Saz-alls for, that fence could be down in less than 1/2 hour. Back up the coach 7 feet. Run a clothesline out and tie a rope on it for the dog if you don't want to walk it on a leash.

You immediately get compliant, and buy yourself as much time as you'd like to replace the fence whenever it's convenient for you.

More time and energy wasted trying to fight this, than just getting compliant and be done with it.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #47

As you are now tight on the timeline here is what I would say...

Do you have a local friend that you could park it with for a week or 2?

This is to give you enough time to...

Get a contractor in there to build and rebuild your fence in a configuration that allows for both the RV and your dog run.

That is your only option if you do not have storage close by for perm use. You will not win against the city and your timer is ticking.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #48

BTDT.
Complaint filed.
Notice served.
Moved the RV to a storage lot, pronto!
Then:
Drove around the streets within 1/4 mile and took pics of every RV, boat, etc that was in violation. 12 of them!
Then did the same with unkempt lots, trash heaps, old dead cars, etc.
City went nuts, neighbors bought me lunch.
Got Er Dun

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Well, that is one problem this late in December in NE Ohio, there isn't any decent, safe storage around. I'd be headed several hours south to find any.
Crankshaft, I also live in Menner so I know your pain.

I park my RV at Security Storage in Willoughby which is on Euclid Ave at the Wickliffe - Willoughby line. They have room and it's pretty easy to get to from Route 2 or even I90. I believe it's 55.00 a month. I recommended my next door neighbor there for his trailer and I noticed other neighborhood vehicles (commercial trucks) there too.

This could be a temporary fix till you get the city worked out. I don't think they will back down.

Security Self Storage | Willoughby, Ohio
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #50

I think your main issue is, hey I've been here with other vehicles for 8 years...why now? Ya know what, if it were me, I'd consider myself lucky that I got 8yrs. free rent and now things have changed for whatever reason. My life is to short to fight over stuff like this. I'd move the RV to storage till spring, bring the yard up to snuff so you can move it back and that's it. Done.

Look at all the letters, forms, notices, phone calls etc. you have dealt with, time spent, angry emotions and so on and it produced what....squat. The writing is on the wall. The above advice and from most others is easy, puts this to bed and then just move on.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #51

Received notice/citation in JULY

Now come DEC gets notice move it or it will be towed

Reminds me of tenants that get eviction notice and wait until last moment when police show up to start packing.

You have had at least 5 months.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Crankshaft, I can certainly sympathize with you as I went through the same type of scenario about 5 years ago. Had a neighbor complain to the city about my camper and my son's camper being parked in my driveway. Here is a picture of my trailer and you can see the rear of my son's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1747.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	147205
My problem was not my axles were not on a solid surface so I was in code violation. We had just received about 2 foot of snow which made the roads nearly impassable but I was given 2 days to pull my 5th. wheel up to where my concrete (about 6') was or I was going to be fined. Well I got them both moved and I was in compliance with the city code. Since I could no longer shut my chain link fence gate I put up the old crummy looking corn/crib style snow fences since I had to keep in dog within our property. Looked like crap, my neighbor that turned me then had to look at that. My son was getting ready to go to North Dakota in March that year so his trailer would have been gone in 3 weeks.

Needless to say we do not exchange Christmas cards!! Now I park my MH down there without any problems. Our city has the codes in place for this situation but unless anyone complains then they do not seem to be enforced.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Actually, some temporary fences may violate code. There could be a strict ordinance involving the types of fence as well.. Just a comment. Many of these areas have codes written by people with nothing better to do. I've also found in my years that many of these government employees would be unemployable were it not for their government job.
jt
Before putting up another fence I would contact the city or local HOA to see if there are specific requirements or restrictions. When we built our current house we specified a 4' tall metal fence to keep the dogs contained. The developer approved it and signed off.

Five years later the developer turned the enforcement of the covenants over to the HOA. Someone noticed a restriction that said ALL fences must be at least 6' high and made of wood. We got a letter from the HOA informing us we had to remove the fence or face litigation.

Fortunately we kept all the paperwork from the construction phase including the blue prints where the developer signed off on the metal fence. With the signed paperwork in hand we challenged the HOA's enforcement of the restriction. The developer admitted he hadn't looked over the prints thoroughly when he signed off on them. By approving the prints without alteration he had in effect granted us a variance from the wooden fence rule. We have never heard back from the developer or the HOA in 25 years.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that one of the things Real Estate agents are supposed to do is tell you about selected laws, rules, Home Owner Assoications and deed restrictions and covenents.. They do not in many cases but alas, they have the expensive lawyers so what can you do about it?

You mentioned your wife went on disibility or medical retirment

What is your situtation, Any reason you can not put a Four Sale sign on the hosue and move into the RV full time and get out of that town and take your money and the tax income the city makes from you with you? What I did.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ko
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
BTDT.
Complaint filed.
Notice served.
Moved the RV to a storage lot, pronto!
Then:
Drove around the streets within 1/4 mile and took pics of every RV, boat, etc that was in violation. 12 of them!
Then did the same with unkempt lots, trash heaps, old dead cars, etc.
City went nuts, neighbors bought me lunch.
Got Er Dun
Wow, dejavu. About 10 years ago, I received a citation from the city regarding my RV (that had been parked in the same location for 14 years). Turned out that someone did exactly what you did. The city didn't go nuts, they simply cited everyone depicted in the pictures, since it was now brought to their attention! No, we didn't buy the photographer lunch!

In the long run, it worked out however, since I decided to fight City Hall. I put flyers on every door in the city where I saw an RV (the existing ordinance stated that RVs could not be visible from the street or even from an adjacent property) and got so many people to flood the city council that they took notice and decided to work with us in crafting a more RV friendly ordinance.

After more than 6 months of council meetings, planning commission meetings, an ad-hoc committee... We finally got it done. But, it took alot of people to keep the fight going in order to do it. By yourself? Forget it. In my case I fought because there was no possible way to comply with the existing ordinance, not so in your case. Drop the fence, back your RV up, reinstall new fence.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Spend money on fence, spend money on more tickets, being forced to appear in court.......don't think good advice.

Fence was a joke.

Tags
tow