Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I'm a venting mess people, that's the only reason I posted this whole story here.
I feel your pain and have been cited for parking my hightop van beside my carport. Having said that, you have had months of warning and are going to have to find a solution that doesn't include leaving it in your driveway.

Is there a church nearby that might be able to help? They may have a member that would let you store the MH for free of a small fee.

Good luck!

You can fight city hall..... probably not gonna win.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #58

Yes as others have said move your RV to a storage location then regroup and comply.
You surely had enough time to figure this out unlike someone on the side of the road asking for assistance.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #59
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regardless of whatever takes place with the situation I'd like to wish you a good outcome.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #60

There is right and wrong, fair and unfair and the written law. First off I would move the rv so your battle is clean on your side. As you specified, , the law states that your rv has to be moved, or it has to be behind the house setback (?), and it can be parked there. That's the law. It doesnt' matter weather your dog's yard needs to be moved or your wife is disabled.

The only way to change this is to file a variance showing that you want to be entitled to what your neighbor's do.
To have this changed you need to file a Variance. To do this you have to give valid reason for a variance such as many neighbors do the same thing (and you should have the right to get what your neighbors get. Take pictures and addresses. They will tell you to mail a registered letter to all your neighbors within a certain amount of feet. You may have to have proof of your court date where they can come and argue it.. This many mean another registered or maybe an ad in the paper. I don't remember.

But you should move your RV, and file a variance, . Or just move the rv behind the setback. It might be cheaper just to move the RV back.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #61

So what I would do if your neighbors don't like your rv ,is move it and park some beat up old piece of crap truck in its place they wouldn't stick out past the set back! Then I would put a sign out front saying DOES THIS LOOK BETTER TO YOU ?
Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Kind of creepy what google knows....

I'd knock that fence down and park it 1" behind the front of the house. Complaining neighbor will still be mad to see it there. Done.

I have read that not enforcing a law for some number of years does weigh on whether or not it can suddenly start being enforced. A real estate lawyer would know more, but it's a 2015 motorhome, the old trailer was a bit smaller perhaps?
Yes it is.

That is the plan, the fence is going to be moved so the RV is completely flush with the front of the house.

The first RV was actually a 20 foot travel trailer and it sat almost entirely in front of the house, no complaints. Then a 30 foot travel trailer came along and it was parked where the RV is now. No complaints. Along comes the 37 foot RV and the world is coming to an end.

We can't figure it out.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Almost exact same thing happened to me.

1959 house on .75 acre with a driveway in front. We purposely bought outside of an HOA neighborhood in order to have a camper in our driveway. The town was laid back...until growth hit! The town then hired a "code enforcement person" and things got ugly fast.

What we did was extreme: first course of action was to put the camper in storage. We then sold our home (that we loved).

Our new to us 1960 house on 1 acre has a large driveway in the rear. And best of all it sits in a smaller (much better) town that is closer to my work.

I first checked with the new town administration about rv enforcement. Their policy is: you can park anywhere on your property as long as there are no weeds growing around it.
We are thinking of moving next year. We will check the zoning in any city we're interested in.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Yes it is.

That is the plan, the fence is going to be moved so the RV is completely flush with the front of the house.

The first RV was actually a 20 foot travel trailer and it sat almost entirely in front of the house, no complaints. Then a 30 foot travel trailer came along and it was parked where the RV is now. No complaints. Along comes the 37 foot RV and the world is coming to an end.

We can't figure it out.

From the picture posted it seems there's more than enough room to have removed a piece of the fence, moved the RV out away from the house right next to the grass and back it up to past the front wall of the house, then placed a barrier such that you could have continued to just open the side door and let the dogs out the same as always.

As the old saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #65

Quote:

We can't figure it out.
Really? You still don't see the problem after all the feedback you received?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #66

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Looking at the googlemap, I would have already backed up the RV, and planted screening bushes along both the side and front edge. You can tuck that in real nice and reduce the eyesore that others perceive.

That's an easy situation for you to become compliant.....AND a good neighbor. You could even move straight back to your rear property line which would be better yet. Could also move the RV over a couple feet away from your house to give clearance for opening your side door, you've got a couple feet of pavement on that side.
The slab is right on the property line, no room to plant anything. Neighbor has an apple tree there too. Can't go straight back because the RV would have to go over/through a patio and 3 trees would have to be cut down. When we moved in we took down 12 trees to improve the drainage. These 3 are part of a flower bed and fountain and I don't think my wife will let that be taken out. We changed the window to a door so the fence could be moved back. The city is still responsible because they did not do any follow ups after August 16th 2016. We did not ignore the issue, we had contractors working in the house for 3 months and the door was put in during that time period. By the time that was done it was November and I wasn't pouring concrete in November. We hadn't heard from the city so we decided to hold off on the fence until spring. Simple as that.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, Crankshaft, many cities have these ordinances, Christmas has nothing to do with it (and shouldn't) and I agree with most of the ordinances I've read. Find legal storage until you can comply. Our various governments do have BIG issues but that doesn't mean we forget the smaller issues.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitudeÖSoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW Fence posts don't need cement. local fence companies stopped using it as they claim better without it. That led me to think he was extending his pad. Which is it? Temporary dog fence is easy.
Extending the pad and installing the posts at the same time.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #69

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I know that one of the things Real Estate agents are supposed to do is tell you about selected laws, rules, Home Owner Assoications and deed restrictions and covenents.. They do not in many cases but alas, they have the expensive lawyers so what can you do about it?

You mentioned your wife went on disibility or medical retirment

What is your situtation, Any reason you can not put a Four Sale sign on the hosue and move into the RV full time and get out of that town and take your money and the tax income the city makes from you with you? What I did.
I wish we could. I'm still working for many years yet. We need health insurance so any chance of just packing the RV and going is none. Besides, my wife has already said no to that idea unless its used as temporary housing while a new house is built.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolewind View Post
There is right and wrong, fair and unfair and the written law. First off I would move the rv so your battle is clean on your side. As you specified, , the law states that your rv has to be moved, or it has to be behind the house setback (?), and it can be parked there. That's the law. It doesnt' matter weather your dog's yard needs to be moved or your wife is disabled.

The only way to change this is to file a variance showing that you want to be entitled to what your neighbor's do.
To have this changed you need to file a Variance. To do this you have to give valid reason for a variance such as many neighbors do the same thing (and you should have the right to get what your neighbors get. Take pictures and addresses. They will tell you to mail a registered letter to all your neighbors within a certain amount of feet. You may have to have proof of your court date where they can come and argue it.. This many mean another registered or maybe an ad in the paper. I don't remember.

But you should move your RV, and file a variance, . Or just move the rv behind the setback. It might be cheaper just to move the RV back.
In July we filed for a variance, went to a variance hearing, met each and everyone of their requirements for a variance and were denied. 30 days later we were sent a final notice summary of the hearing. At that point we leaned that we had 10 days after the hearing to apply for an appeal to the court. There was nothing we could do at that point. We put the plans for door install on the contractors list. Time and money ran out so we have to wait til spring to do the fence. The city did no follow ups. We should not have to run to them every other day to tell them what is going on in our life.
Closed Thread

Tags
tow