Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
So what I would do if your neighbors don't like your rv ,is move it and park some beat up old piece of crap truck in its place they wouldn't stick out past the set back! Then I would put a sign out front saying DOES THIS LOOK BETTER TO YOU ?
I'll move the RV back then add the junk truck parked right in front of it. I like it!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #72

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I'll move the RV back then add the junk truck parked right in front of it. I like it!!!

We have a guy a 1/2 hour from here who owns many properties. One of which is at the very end of a couple mile run of commercial property on the main drag. The last property on the block unfortunately was still zoned residential. They wouldn't let him open a Dunkin Donuts on the property. For the last seven years he has scores of toilets with "artistic" arrangements on all the properties he owns in protest. At first many folks laughed and felt for him, but many are turning against him now...time to move on.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
So what I would do if your neighbors don't like your rv ,is move it and park some beat up old piece of crap truck in its place they wouldn't stick out past the set back! Then I would put a sign out front saying DOES THIS LOOK BETTER TO YOU ?
Boy I like that. Good answer.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #74

Jayco Owners Club
Why not just take down fence and back it up. Then run a dog runner from the door to the back yard for the dogs.
Very easy to comply, both can be done in one day.
Boom... done... every one is happy.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:44 AM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Six pages of posts in 24 hrs...amazing. Folks sure do like someone else's fight
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #76

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well folks, we're going to stick a fork in this and call it beyond well done.

Interesting that there were so many replies. I wish backing it up or putting it in storage was as easy as it seems.

We can't afford the storage costs now. Period, end of story. We had a budget for what the house needed, then my wife had to retire due to disability and things got a bit tight.

Backing it up, well, it can and will be done.

Moving the fence, on the list. I'm old school. My posts go in concrete, in warm weather, posts 4 feet down. Never had a fence fall, shift, lean or need replaced. I know, never say never so I'll consider myself lucky so far.

Temporary fence, city is mulling that over

Fighting city hall, absolutely. Change in government happens many ways, voting, legislation and good old fashion fighting city hall. A lot of you tried it and lost but a few have won.

We followed their rules and applied for the variance, were denied and denied an appeal. They, by their own admission, did not follow up for over 3 months. Shame on me for not updating them weekly? Not at all. They have code enforcement officers whose job it is to follow up on these cases.

I will add this about this cities ability to do code inspections. I built an addition on my house about 10 years ago. If the city had done their job I would have had hot water in the new bathroom on day one, not 5 years later when we figured out how to undo and redo the mess the contractor did. At the same time if the city had done its job they would not have signed off on a 92 percent efficient furnace being installed in an attic space. Every winter the condensate lines would freeze up and we would lose heat(we added heat tape several years back) and 10 years later the furnace is leaking condensate and is rusting apart.

I will admit that this is a difficult issue. I see many positions, solutions and no easy way out. This is the one reason I consider IRV2.com the number one stop for RV'ing information, it is so diverse and informative.

Thank you all again

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Fred
Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry even as an RV owner, I don't want to see an RV parked in front of my neighbors house either. It junks up the neighborhood in my mind. Next thing you know there's card on blocks, etc. what makes peiple special such that the rules don't apply?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #78

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
***snip***
I will admit that this is a difficult issue. I see many positions, solutions and no easy way out. This is the one reason I consider IRV2.com the number one stop for RV'ing information, it is so diverse and informative.

Thank you all again

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Fred
Remember, we're lucky enough to have these annoyances. There are many others less fortunate around the world who have real life and death troubles.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all....
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #79

Rexhall Owners Group
[moderator edit]

Crankshaft, I also have an RV on my side drive that happens to be the front of my neighbors property (corner lot). I was ratted out by a snow bird who blew into town and didn't like the aesthetic look of my RV. Boo-Hoo ..... I was given 10 days to remove everything from my driveway at the start of this month also. Fighting city hall is useless, they are just responding to the complaint. In the spirit of cooperation, I removed everything off the drive for a week, cleaned the driveway, sold the boat and cleared the complaint first. With a calm face-to-face meeting with the code enforcement officer. Now the RV is back on the driveway with no questions asked.

Just try to pretend that the code officer is on your side and show him that you are trying to solve the problem so he doesn't have more complaints.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #80

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crankshaft,

I only wish I had your situation that could be easily resolved to keep the MH at our residence.

We live in an HOA that enforces its covenant with an understanding approach. My DW is on the board and I am one of the artuctural review persons that approves fences, paint colors etc. for our community. Generally if the town approves a permit we approve.

I keep our RV in a local storage but when getting to go on our trips i bring the coach home to load up, keep it overnight and we're on our way in the morning. Our covenant rules state temporary to load and unload. I choose to interpret these rules as it takes us a day and a half to load up for our usual 2 to 6 week trips. I know i am streatching my interpertation of the rule . When we traded in for a new to us MH i called the HOA that manages our community to let them know that we would be at our residence for a couple of days as loading up our new to us coach was like moving into a new home. I knew all to well that someone (lets call him PITA) would be calling in daily to complain why i wasn't being towed and only wanted them to have a reasonable reply. It would then be back into storage, No problem from the HOA managers.

Now add to equasion a resident the PITA volunteered to be on the board (easily done as few will get involved) and wants to focus his attention on every thing involving us. He thought because he was on the board he could have his commercial vehicle (real estate broker with removable magnet sign that he didn't take off) and not be towed, which he was more than once. Also thought he could erect a fence with no town permit.

So now this PITA is fighting the board to allow "his" interpertation of commercial vehicles using the towns rules and not the HOA. He has stired up a few other residents at a meeting that our community manager felt a mob mentality was developing and she left the meeting. Her first time in 16+ years. Now our next meeting there will be our local police in attendance.

The new rules trying to be implemented by the PITA are business signs on vehicle is not a commercial vehicle. The HOA and the rest of the board members are sticking by the HOA covenant that it is a commercial vehicle. Also boats Rv's etc. are not permitted between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Now my DW thought we should continue with our usual routine of 1 ovenight when making a trip. I on the other hand felt that it would be a minor inconvience to bring it back to storage 2 miles away after loading it up for the day and bring it back in the morning for the last 5% of stuff being loaded then on our way enjoying life in retirement.

Our next HOA meeting should be interesting.

Do as others have said move the fence and be in compliance. I would NOT do anything spiteful in retaliation, i believe in karma.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #81

Laws / rules are there for a reason. Some feel there is nothing wrong with parking an RV, boat, etc their property with no regard to the impact of the neighborhood and how it negatively impacts the area.

It is real simple. If you want to store your RV and other things in your yard/driveway without worrying about neighbors or what your property looks like, then move to an unincorporated area and live happily ever after. But when you live in a neighborhood where you share the space with others and there are rules, either abide by the rules or prepare for a battle that you're going to lose. It amazes me how many times this situation comes up when it is so easily avoidable. Even more amazing that the violator(s) always claim to be the victim.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
The kitchen is filling with smoke, I thought this turkey was done, However.

Before I respond to a few of the latest posts, let me ask this question.

If a dozen people complained about my RV I would have to say it was an eye sore, in poor condition, leaking fluids, flat tires, mice infested, broken windows etc.

However, they have one complaint. What would happen if the city said to the complainer, we will address this after you go to them and address it to them first. I may look big and scary but I will listen to you, learn about your issues and help you learn about me and that godawful, brand new, not leaking, no cracked windows or flat tires RV. It would accomplish 2 things. It might bring neighbors together (or drive them farther apart) and it might ease the work load on the Code Enforcement Officers. Seems like everyone is quick to complain but they have to hide behind anonymity.

Everyone who comes to our house, even relatives and friends who have been there many times , say they can't see the RV in the driveway when driving down the street. That's during the winter, in summer it disappears from view even though it's a few feet in front of the house. You have to be in the driveway to see it.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You can't put conditions on other people, because you are not following the laws/rules/regulations and don't think you have to.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #84

Ford Super Duty Owner
My view is that you are missing what is going on. Right or wrong you are upset that one (? or maybe more) individual complains and Code Enforcement is doing their job. Like it or not, it is their job .... not your neighbors. That is the function of Code Enforcement. In my experience there are more codes than there are enforcers to actually enforce them. When a violation is brought to their attention it is their job to follow up on it. It seems that you, your family and many others do not see the code violation as a problem. Code Enforcement hasn't seen it as a problem either ..... until someone expressed concern.

You tried the variance route and for whatever reason they denied it. Possibly in their view the solution to the code violation wasn't as difficult as how you view it.

Like others I sympathize with your situation but obviously the city isn't interested in your dogs nor your inability to come up with the funds to do the project in the manner you desire.

City Hall is just that. Rules are rules and when the violation occurs and is reported, positive action must be taken. Positive action by the city and by you. If the resolution isn't the same for both sides then the problem begins.

I do wish you the best but until you eliminate the problem, it's only going to intensify.

Closed Thread

Tags
tow