Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #113

I think maybe that given his recent change in income, that the bigger deal might be the lack of time given to somebody on a pretty tight budget. The way I understand this is that he's willing to abide by the recent enforcement - but could really use some extra time to do that.

Myself, considering the circumstances, I don't see that request as being too much to ask for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What lack of time? He's had 6 months.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure a lot of negative posts recently. Wonder why?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #116

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The city wants to tow my RV out of my driveway

Ahhh yes. one more example of the myth of home ownership. I cannot even have a canopy over mine, because I cannot get it back far enough from the road to comply with the town. The builder screwed up in building the house and so there is no room on the driveway side to get it back that far. Home ownership is not much different in many ways than renting. The only thing is the rent decreases after 20 - 30 years. I hope I never have to move it and be deprived of a few hours of winter driveway camping and diligent rodent control.

I hope the OP finds an amicable solution.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #117

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Sure a lot of negative posts recently. Wonder why?
I agree. We don't have to be 100% sympathetic but I find often times we do not always get the entire story. On more than one occasion I have tried to explain situations to others only to find out that what is in my mind doesn't always make it out of my mind and into my mouth.

The OP admitted that he was wanting to vent. Don't we all want a non judging ear now and then ?? I offered opinions and thoughts on this subject through out the thread. It's very possible that none of them applied to his situation but only to how I perceived the situation.

I'm far from perfect but I do try to live by the adage that says if you can't say something nice, say nothing.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
6 months is PLENTY of time to comply.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #119

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a section of your existing fence down and back up 6 more feet. Walk the dog on a leash until spring when you can install the new fence section. Problem solved.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Crankshaft,

I only wish I had your situation that could be easily resolved to keep the MH at our residence.

We live in an HOA that enforces its covenant with an understanding approach. My DW is on the board and I am one of the artuctural review persons that approves fences, paint colors etc. for our community. Generally if the town approves a permit we approve.

I keep our RV in a local storage but when getting to go on our trips i bring the coach home to load up, keep it overnight and we're on our way in the morning. Our covenant rules state temporary to load and unload. I choose to interpret these rules as it takes us a day and a half to load up for our usual 2 to 6 week trips. I know i am streatching my interpertation of the rule . When we traded in for a new to us MH i called the HOA that manages our community to let them know that we would be at our residence for a couple of days as loading up our new to us coach was like moving into a new home. I knew all to well that someone (lets call him PITA) would be calling in daily to complain why i wasn't being towed and only wanted them to have a reasonable reply. It would then be back into storage, No problem from the HOA managers.

Now add to equasion a resident the PITA volunteered to be on the board (easily done as few will get involved) and wants to focus his attention on every thing involving us. He thought because he was on the board he could have his commercial vehicle (real estate broker with removable magnet sign that he didn't take off) and not be towed, which he was more than once. Also thought he could erect a fence with no town permit.

So now this PITA is fighting the board to allow "his" interpertation of commercial vehicles using the towns rules and not the HOA. He has stired up a few other residents at a meeting that our community manager felt a mob mentality was developing and she left the meeting. Her first time in 16+ years. Now our next meeting there will be our local police in attendance.

The new rules trying to be implemented by the PITA are business signs on vehicle is not a commercial vehicle. The HOA and the rest of the board members are sticking by the HOA covenant that it is a commercial vehicle. Also boats Rv's etc. are not permitted between the hours of 10pm and 7am. Now my DW thought we should continue with our usual routine of 1 ovenight when making a trip. I on the other hand felt that it would be a minor inconvience to bring it back to storage 2 miles away after loading it up for the day and bring it back in the morning for the last 5% of stuff being loaded then on our way enjoying life in retirement.

Our next HOA meeting should be interesting.

Do as others have said move the fence and be in compliance. I would NOT do anything spiteful in retaliation, i believe in karma.

So I couldn't live in your neighborhood because I work construction and have a work truck?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #121

We recently moved to Lake Havasu City for our winter home. This is the most friendly RV town we have ever been in. Many of the homes have either a boat or RV parked along side or in their driveway in front of their homes. A lot of RV garages, but also many boats and motorhomes parked near the streets. Our MH and enclosed trailer are in our back yard and our 28' Pontoon sits alongside our home in full view from the street. It's just a very friendly an accommodating way of life here. Too bad other cities don't follow this policy.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
So I couldn't live in your neighborhood because I work construction and have a work truck?
Actually not that unusual. Some are so anal they make it about the plate. If you have a pickup or van, used for work or not, it must be kept in the garage. Nothing but vehicles with passenger car plates are allowed in your driveway.

Nice well kept houses there though....
Old 12-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We actually looked at a house in a subdivision where you couldn't park your own car in your own driveway overnight. You also had to keep garage doors shut unless pulling in or pulling out. LOTS of other rules. Funny there were a ton of houses for sale there but no one buying. Especially not us.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Actually not that unusual. Some are so anal they make it about the plate. If you have a pickup or van, used for work or not, it must be kept in the garage. Nothing but vehicles with passenger car plates are allowed in your driveway.

Nice well kept houses there though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
We actually looked at a house in a subdivision where you couldn't park your own car in your own driveway overnight. You also had to keep garage doors shut unless pulling in or pulling out. LOTS of other rules. Funny there were a ton of houses for sale there but no one buying. Especially not us.

I don't mind rules but there are limits. Almost like they are saying what kind of people they want in their neighborhood.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
We recently moved to Lake Havasu City for our winter home. This is the most friendly RV town we have ever been in. Many of the homes have either a boat or RV parked along side or in their driveway in front of their homes. A lot of RV garages, but also many boats and motorhomes parked near the streets. Our MH and enclosed trailer are in our back yard and our 28' Pontoon sits alongside our home in full view from the street. It's just a very friendly an accommodating way of life here. Too bad other cities don't follow this policy.
When shopping for our current house, we found a neighborhood, even more RV friendly. Every house had an RV pad, next to the house. The house we looked at, had it's own driveway, to the pad (rare for the neighborhood). It even had an electric gate. Unfortunately, the home layout wasn't good, for us & needed a lot of work. The house wasn't right, for us.

The house we bought, doesn't have room, for our RV. It is a much nicer house & $50K less. We store our RV for $189 per month. I can store it for over 20 years, to make a difference in price. I can park it, on the street, for 24 hours (city ordinance not HOA). I pushed it to almost 2 days, last trip because I had a service appointment, 2 days after we got back. I'm glad I didn't grt ticketed (no one complained) but if I had, I know it would have been my own fault. Rules are rules.

I do sympathize with the OP but, like I said, rules are rules. He got away with it, for 6 months. I got away with it, for 24 hours.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
I don't mind rules but there are limits. Almost like they are saying what kind of people they want in their neighborhood.
Not almost, they are trying to keep certain kinds of people out of their neighborhood. Neighborhoods can have these strict rules so it's on future buyers as to whether they want to agree to those rules. If they don't like em, then they shouldn't consider moving in.

In the OP's case, sounds like he has lived there a long time. Not sure if the ordinance has been in place since the beginning or if it was just placed within the last few years, but the bottom line is it is here now. He has tried to work with the city but so far to no avail. Myself, i'd keep trying to work with them but i'd also be working on getting into compliance.

As far as RVs parked at residences in general, this is one of those things that either needs to be yes or no, nothing in between. Myself, i'd rather not see anyone's parked in front of their home. Ours is in the back and shouldn't offend anyone or take away from the neighborhood.

My opinion, based on what i have read here is that it's a shame the OP is having to go through this. His doesn't appear to be that intrusive to the neighborhood. Again though, mine nor the OP's opinion really matters,, getting into compliance is what's important at this point of time.

Tags
tow