Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
WDW

The "great" spare tire debate

I plan for contingencies. It's my nature.

So I'm stuck on the idea of not having a spare tire on board for an upcoming cross country trip that will probably last between 5 & 7K miles.

Last year we bought the roadmaster spare tire carrier for the hitch mount. We used it halfway through the trip and because I felt that it was straining the hitch we removed it and toted it home in a compartment . The RM hitch spare tire carrier changed the elevation on our tow and provided a lot of slack bouncing in towing or Jeep Cherokee. We took it off and wound up loading and unloading the spare tire from the Jeep when we would stop for a few days and had the hassle of dealing with that. It will not fit in a compartment. Engineering wise there certainly is enough capacity and all the numbers for it to work. But the practicality of it is I'm not sure that it's the wisest product on the market for gas motorhomes with 5 to 7000 K rated hitches. Maybe it'll work better for DP's with a 10,000 pound hitch. [mod edit]

So I've toyed with the idea of trying to figure out how to mount a spare tire underneath between the gas tank in the rear of the coach where the hitch mounts to the frame.
I believe there's enough room. And a reasonably believe we have enough clearance in most situations given the likelihood of us bottoming out is a small percentage chance. I think?

I know the other contingency and we have those in the form of plastic cards and Coach-Net. But that may not cut the mustard on the side of the road somewhere along the way with DW and family.

Your suggestion and ideas to solve my dilemma will be appreciated.

Here is a trucker product by STEMCO - haven't found one to look at to see if it can be mounted similar to what you see on pick up trucks to hoist a tire and rim. Anyone have any experience with this idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.JPG
Views:	1240
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	162380
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

I don't know what you have but I am in the same boat as far as wanting to be prepared. What I am looking at is a 1X4 piece of channel iron to put across the frame rails and then bolt a pick up truck spare tire carrier to it to carry the tire. I am going to look at some newer F350s to see how their spare tires are mounted and see if it is adaptable and can work with the frame extension..
Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
I have changed flats twice during my RVing life both times where on a Class C so spare was located in rear on cable winch like this and my DP has spare mounted similar but sets forward of the rear dif with crank access inside a curb side storage compartment. @ issues I have were/are; 1 - after getting all hot, sweaty, & wore out changing the flat it is a pain in the butt crawling under there to store the flat until reaching next place to purchase new tire. 2 - stored out of sight = out of mind and I forget to check the tire pressure before hitting the road. I forgot all about the spare on the DP when I purchased TPMS. This post has reminded me I need to extra sensor and add it to the monitor.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

Have you looked at carrying the spare on the roof of the coach?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2002 Pace Arrow on Ford chassis had a 19.5" spare mounted underneath between the frame rails at the rear. A 22" would not have fit between the rails I don't believe. If you have Ford and 19.5" it may be as easy as finding and retrofitting the mounting hardware to your coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I plan for contingencies. It's my nature.

So I'm stuck on the idea of not having a spare tire on board for an upcoming cross country trip that will probably last between 5 & 7K miles.

Attachment 162380
Forget the spare!

We've had two motor homes in the last 24 years. Been in all 49 states, Alaska twice and across the US 12 times without a spare and had to call road service for a flat only once. Found it while in a campground and tire service was within 1/4 mile - and that was last week. Didn't delay us at all since we were parked for 10 days there.

On a trip from AZ to PA right now and no spare.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At my age I can't envision me changing one of the tires on our coach. Pretty big and mounted using an impact wrench that means I could probably not break them loose by hand anyway. I don't carry a spare for the coach.

The Toad and the Tow Dolly however have spares in the trunk of the toad.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Unmounted spare on the roof.

Truck Down app on the phone.

Ca$h
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Forget the spare!

We've had two motor homes in the last 24 years. Been in all 49 states, Alaska twice and across the US 12 times without a spare and had to call road service for a flat only once. Found it while in a campground and tire service was within 1/4 mile - and that was last week. Didn't delay us at all since we were parked for 10 days there.

On a trip from AZ to PA right now and no spare.
Not that I am superstitious or anything, but I hope you didn't just jinx yourself.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have carried a unmounted spare in our two previous coaches, but am not in the current coach. Not entirely comfortable, but trying to get used to it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blow outs and flat tires are very rare. Especially if you inspect and keep inflation as required. Most truck and RV tires are 14-16 ply. 75-125 lbs. Torqued on 150-450 ft lbs. Then you need jacks, several wrenches, jack pads, tire lifting tools, a wide enough space to do it, the strength. My 32k lbs coach it not something to be unsafe around.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

The fact that the Winnebago Sightseer had a location for the spare tire helped seal the deal when we bought our unit.

For those of you who don't want to go to the trouble to carry your own spare because you have ERS and a credit card, or consider yourself just too old or ill-equipped to do manual labor, consider that would happen if you are out of reach of a cell tower. While you may not be able to make use of a mounted spare, a good-natured passerby just might be able to...........................
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
WDW

I'm not interested or inclined to change a tire on the MH. I'd even think twice with the Jeep -- but availability of a tire for the MH is key. The fact I've got it mounted is a plus. Never needing it is priceless.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
The fact that the Winnebago Sightseer had a location for the spare tire helped seal the deal when we bought our unit.

For those of you who don't want to go to the trouble to carry your own spare because you have ERS and a credit card, or consider yourself just too old or ill-equipped to do manual labor, consider that would happen if you are out of reach of a cell tower. While you may not be able to make use of a mounted spare, a good-natured passerby just might be able to...........................

What year and where is it mounted on your coach? You might have a solution in the design.