Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #15

I've had Coachnet for almost 10 years now. Never needed them and I'd like to keep it that way!!

IMHO, pretty cheap roadside insurance for what they offer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
,,, We, too, have Progressive (through USAA) ,,,
Same here. Progressive through USAA with roadside that I had to select as it was not a default option with my coverage. Considering there are multiple providers of roadside assistance beyond insurance (Good Sam, Coach Net, AAA, FMAC,,,) I can understand why this is not automatically included in the standard coverage.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
I'd first have to ask if Progressive "forgot" to add roadside service to your policy or did you not check on your policy benefits beforehand?

We, too, have Progressive (through USAA) and they were outstanding when we broke down about 25 or 30 miles east of Colorado Springs back in late July of this year. With that being said, my wife ensured that we knew the exact policy declarations and exclusions when we first took out the policy and made sure that roadside assistance was included.

Totally agree with this poster - why blame the insurance company
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #18

We had a very bad experience with roadside assistance with Progressive insurance. I noticed that the cost with Progressive was much less than I was paying with Coach Net at the time, so I cancelled the Coach Net and went with Progressive.

We had an airbag fail on the rear of our motorhome along I-10 in Louisiana. I called Progressive, and to make a long story short we did not get assistance until over 4 hours later, sitting on the side of the road. By this time I had gotten assistance elsewhere. By the time the tow truck arrived (after I had told Progressive to forget about it) he explained that Progressive refused to pay the going towing rate. As a result, he suspected that the original outfit called had probably gotten another call from someone who paid the going rate and decided to go to them rather than us. I figured out that was why Progressive had such a low cost for their roadside assistance.

Over many years I have had to call Coach Net and Good Sam for assistance, and had very good support from both of them.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #19

I own a classic 91 Prevost Beaver Bus with a very unique side isle bath and maybe even more unique teakwood ceilings. Beaver Coach is well known for their woodwork and it shows in my bus. I never tire of the first words of someone entering the bus of “Oh My”!

Progressive is one of the few insurance companies that offers “Agreed Value”. If I left it to an insurance company and totaled my bus, they’d hand me $20 bucks and call it a deal. There aren’t many coaches that hold up for 30+ years and still look showroom fresh. Sorry if my pride is showing through a little.

Progressive told me straight up that I’d not be happy with their roadside assistance. I’ve had them now for three years and I don’t bother them and they don’t bother me.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson View Post
My wife and I recently spent 4 hours beside the I-5 freeway at Mt. Ashland when we had a radiator hose blow off while pulling the grade. During that time I was told by Progressive insurance that I did not have road service?????

Why would anyone leave home in a 38' long vehicle without coverage?

Because Progressive did not think to add it to my policy.

So my question is...

Who gets the best recommendation as an insurance company in this day and age of sagging customer service and failing personal values amongst workers.

Thanks.

Steve
Roadside service is an extra that you must ask for with any insurance company.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m picking up my 1st and new to me 2002 Newmar mountain aire today. Earlier this week I purchased Good Sam Ins for it as well as become a member of the Good Sam club as well as get their platinum (I think) roadside assistance that includes tire replacement. I want to be sure I was covered every which way when I drive her off the lot today. I will dig into my policy shortly to confirm what coverage I have (or not have). I will do more serious side by side insurance comparisons when the next renewal comes up. I went with Good Sam for roadside from a recommendation from my friend who also owns a class a.
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #22

Not to rain on the OP's parade, but the posted title of " The high cost of the wrong insurance company" should probably be changed to "The high cost of not reading your insurance policy". I'm one of those weird people who actually read their insurance policies, and will call company back if the policy issued does not agree with the policy coverage discussed on the phone.

Note: The Hartford added towing and road side assistance to our policy mid policy year, I believe two years ago, at no additional premium. You might want to consider them. We've had two claims in 5 years, one windshield, and one awning disaster (wind event), both of which were covered with minimum of back and forth, and both we were extremely happy with the service and settlement. Out premiums have gone up about 8% since we began insuring with them 5 years ago. We're totally happy with that!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Guess I’ll add my two-bits worth.....

I’m a 100% fan of CoachNet!!!! I have their extended warranty policy and as a bonus it comes with free roadside assistance....

I’ve been towed twice in the last few years (once over 45 miles) at zero cost to me.... Also had a dead battery issue once that they handled...

The extended warranty portion goes way beyond the expected!!!! They have been fantastic in dealing with any/all issues I’ve had!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance