Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 05:47 AM   #1

The Intimidation of the Drive

Every now and then someone will chime in about their desire to have a Class A coach, but the thought of driving a monstrous Velveeta box is a bit intimidating. Since I purchased my first Class A (35ft Gas) about a month ago, and shared some of those same concerns, I thought I would share the experience from a newbies perspective.

Now, I’ve been dragging trailers around for over three decades, so negotiating traffic, tight turns, etc. is nothing new, but still, this thing (the Class A) is HUGE!

The day we put ink to the papers, I hopped in this beast, got everything adjusted and started to roll forward. It was at this point (two feet away from the parking spot) I was reminded of an RVing axiom; Nobody wants to be behind you! Yes, some doofus in a tiny accord cut me off before I even got out of the lot.

I had a 24 mile journey from the lot to the campground near the house. And yes, it was 24 miles of white-knuckle driving on the interstate in a mid-sized city, with 3 interchanges and 5,000 vehicles that didn’t want to be behind me.

My first impression when I pulled onto the interstate; This thing is wide! Seriously, I must have looked like a nervous druggy behind the wheel, constantly checking the side views to make sure I was keeping it between the lines. It honestly looked like I had six inches of clearance on either side of the coach. My only saving grace that day was the spring wind had taken a hiatus.

Still, I got this.

Two days later, the 4 mile trip home was a piece of cake. Granted, it was Sunday morning, the faithful were where the faithful should be, so the roads were relatively clear. The three right turns I had to make on the way to the house were significantly tamer than any of my nightmares. A simple awareness of my surroundings, and the size of the vehicle I was in, were really two of the key tools. Experience comes later.

Backing it into the driveway? Way, way easier than I had ever imagined it. Maybe all those years of backing trailers helped, who knows. One shot, in the hole, and no murdered mailboxes.

Fast forward two weeks, we took the coach out for a 200 mile round trip “get acquainted” journey. The first half, a two lane highway since this is my preferred avenue of travel, and the second half was spent on the interstate.
I won’t lie, the first 40 miles of that two lane highway was not fun. I had to keep reminding myself; I got this. The road felt as though it had an exaggerated crown and the coach wanted to drift toward the shoulder-less edge (remember that six inches?). Oncoming semi’s and the gust of wind that accompanied them exacerbated this drift. The first time a semi flew past it caught me ill-prepared and I kicked up a little dirt, but I got this. It only caught me once, my wife made sure of that.

Now, it always sounds trite when someone answers your concerns with “You’ll get used to it.” But, after that first 40 miles, I got used to it. The coach felt smaller. I began to understand the boundaries, where the coach needed to be on the road without the constant nervous tick of checking the side views. I would compare it to those first few days of owning a Ram pick-up, you know, the ones where you can’t see the front corners. After you’ve driven that truck a while, you just “know” where those corners are. And, much like pulling a trailer, I learned how to handle that incoming blast of turbulence that follows a semi.

Then I got on the interstate.

First of all, if you have never traveled East-West across Oklahoma on a typical spring day (or Kansas on most days), then don’t. On that day, the winds were typical, 20mph with gusts of 30+. Miraculously, I kept it in my lane, but to say it wore me out would be an understatement. However, I got this. Seriously, I think that first hundred miles of two lane self-training helped me with the Oklahoma wind on the interstate.

Before I bought this coach, I was nervous about driving it. I watched all the You Tube videos and read all the blog posts about putting stickers or white-out on your mirrors and windshield to help you locate where you were on the road, etc. But after putting about 600 miles behind the wheel; I got this.

The only thing left is the Cheap Handling Fix and a trac bar. Because, well, I live in this wind.

So, if you’re nervous about driving a thirteen foot tall, forty foot long Velveeta box; you got this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #2

X2 for the track bar, they really work.

The doofuses have been there all along; one just notices them more from the driver seat of a motorhome.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #3

you got this...

it happens to all of us at some point in life...

- the first time you drive a car, by yourself

- the first time you drive you vehicle, with a trailer behind it, even a tiny one

- the first time you even THINK about driving a motorhome, or pulling a fifth-wheel

- the first time you actually do it : /

- sometimes even the 105th time you actually do it

- sometimes when a semi truck passes by

- sometimes when a semi truck passes by, no, sorry, that was just the Kansas wind, or New Mexico, or Oklahoma...

- sometimes when backing into an rv site, with trees, and branches, and posts, and people watching : /

- sometimes when making a right hand turn
in heavy traffic
with lots of people watching
with a curbed corner

- sometimes even after the motorhome has sat parked for a while

- sometimes, like me, when you go from your Ford Fiesta toad to your House on Wheels

: )

enjoy !
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #4

Just sayin, it's 12'10" tall
Just drive. You can't control what you can't control. I take the perspective that I take it slow and in no hurry. If someone wants to get ahead of me go for it.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with you!

We picked up our first MH in late January. Like you, we watched the video's, and tried to prepare ourselves....

Left the dealership to drive through the construction area between there and the turnpike. Those jersey barriers sure seemed close, and I swear someone went out and moved all the mailboxes and utility poles closer to the edge of the road. It was white knuckle all the way.

THEN we got on the highway and realized we were driving a giant sail! In case any of you are planning to hit the road, check with us first. If we are going out, there is sure to be gale force winds that day . Not only this first time, but EVERY time we've driven out of the driveway there seems to be high winds, and a chance of snow, and construction, and.....

But we made it home without hurting anyone (no mailboxes were harmed in the making of this video), and the next trip out was much easier. We just plan, plan, plan to the extent we can. And we take our time.

We too, have got this.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Thank you for posting this.

I needed to read it this morning. Tomorrow morning we take delivery of our first class A motor home and to say I'm excited is an understatement!

I have some experience in the past...... I've driven bus while in the Air Force, about 46 years ago..... and then tractor trailer about 24 years ago.

Will I have problems driving my 35 footer home? I doubt it.......... but. There's still this little voice in my head that keeps taunting me.

Tomorrow will be epic!
WNYtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

sweet spot

In my day I was used to driving large equipment, but when I bought my first DP it took me a little while to find the sweet spots in my field of view to help me to be properly be centered in my lane. The main one for me was in the left corner of the windshield where I now know where the center line should be aligned with. Even truck drivers tell me the same thing.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Well said jrocker! I purchased my first class A about a year ago and still white knuckle at times when its super windy. It does get better though.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

The first time I drove an RV was after buying our 40' MADP from a gentleman who lived in a rural area about an hour east of Baton Rouge and driving it, alone, to Durango in SW Colorado.

My thought process was that many people do it with no problem so I could do it as well. I took my time and got home safe and sound and had a great time.

Getting over fear and doubts is a bigger obstacle than actually learning to drive an RV.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
If you think driving a Big Velveeta Box is intimidating, try flying a small plane in bad weather, IFR. Confidence is what gets you through.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
If you think driving a Big Velveeta Box is intimidating, try flying a small plane in bad weather, IFR. Confidence is what gets you through.
That's an understatement. Lol. Nothing like a maximum crosswind in a small plane to make you concentrate like nothing else.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

And then you have to land!!!

I remember reading somewhere that there is "no such thing as moderate turbulence in a T-craft", which in MHO is very true. Also would probably apply to most light aircraft.

Great story about the first trip. And now the intimidation becomes anticipation, right?

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for this post jrocker, it really hit the "spot"! We're new to RVing but I've pulled a 24' trailer loaded with cattle to stock shows all over the southwest for years so I thought 'no problem' when we jumped feet first into a 36' class A. Haha what an assumption - it was like herding cats down the highway, and boy did that highway get narrower! With every mile down the road my knuckles relax a little more and my eyes are not rotating as fast checking the side mirrors to see where my rear wheels are. I love this "house on wheels" and hope to put many more miles on it. My husband is unable to drive or walk very well, so it's up to me to get us from point A to point B. Guess what I'm trying to say is that you should never give up, grit your teeth and go for it! One note is that this rig is soooo much easier to back into tight areas than the crew cab 350 with gooseneck attached!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a great post, we all have done the white knuckle part the first few times we have driven. In fact it took me 20 minutes of walking and shaking my hands to get the circulation going again to my fingers after my first time. Least my DH was patient with me as I paced back and forth shaking my arms and hands. Now it is so much easier, trade places adjust the seat, top the mirrors off to my setting and away we go. Not that I am over confident...no way, that will get you or someone killed. Have to stay alert to surroundings and those who don't understand the physics of mass in motion. Now if I can keep my driving foot healthy, don't ask, I will have a great summer. I got this!