Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

The Most Shady RV Dealer Ever Dealt With - Country Coach Magna from Auction

I found this 2003 Country Coach Magna.

Carfax Link > > The vin shows that it was sold at auction

Otherwise, it is a pretty clean title.

I spoke to a sales guy after a few emails.
My offer was $85k, which is very reasonable considering they are asking $89k or so.

He boasted about their 112 point inspection and assured me they are unlike any other dealer, and since they inspect all coaches before they buy them (Um.. yeah, I'd hope so!)

Then he explained that they require a $1000 deposit to get started.

Sure, I get that. Deposits are kind of normal for some dealers.

I told him I'd be sending my own inspector do do a PDI.

He agreed but explained that my offer of $86k is what I'll pay, no matter what my guy finds.

Wait..

My offer was $85k, not $86k

Oh.. that $86k number includes your $1000 deposit.

No.. My $85k includes the deposit.
Your $86k number is $1000 more than what I offered.

Well, that is because we have to pay our lot attendant to babysit your inspector in case he fries the electrical system. There's a cost to us letting someone run through our inventory.

I get that, but that is the cost of doing business. What you are asking for is not a deposit, but a $1000 retainer, to have a $15/ employee sit on his butt while my certified inspector "Doesn't fry one of your coaches".

Fine.. If the deposit is non refundable my offer is $84k now.

Are we selling coaches or playing games? Your call.

He agreed to run it by his manager.

In the mean time, I asked him for a copy of the 112 point inspection.
He asked me why I wanted it.

Um... so I could see what your guys found and fixed. They do fix the things they find in the inspection, right?

Not everything he said. Depends on what we find.

So... you can literally do a 112 point inspection, and find 112 things wrong with the RV, fix none of them, and still tell the buyer that you did a 112 point inspection as a marketing claim?

Whatever..
Send me the inspection report so I can review it while your boss considers my offer.

Then, he said he would send me the checklist so I could see how they inspect all of their coaches.

Wait.. All of your coaches?
No.. I want the 112 point inspection checklist you did for this coach specifically.. Not a blank checklist.

Oh... Well, the thing is..
We don't actually do the 112 point inspection until we have a deposit.

We just sell too many coaches to spend the time and money on them before we know we have an interested party..

Seems to me like they are buying at auction and selling to anyone that is willing to jump without looking.

What say you IRV2 Forum Members?

Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
What say you IRV2 Forum Members?
Well.... my first inclination is RUN....RUN AWAY.

Then again, it may be a decent coach. No matter how hard you try to be a shady operation, nice ones do slip through. He may not even know it.

So it it were me, and I really liked this model and the price is at or near $.80 on the dollar and you can get it for $.65 and you do your own inspection because you shouldn't be messing with shady shops unless you know your stuff and because the whole inspector thing just complicates stuff and screw him with his 112 point bullcrap inspection and at that price you can fix a few surprises and the wife likes it....

Then go ahead.

Otherwise read my first sentence.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Do you like buying a pig in a poke? Wasn't it PT Barnum that said there was a sucker born every day? If you're getting this treatment from the sales staff, who want to move the unit, how do you think you'll be treated by the service folks?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
how do you think you'll be treated by the service folks?
The who? IF you buy this from these eggheads you NEVER EVER go back there.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 03-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Do you like buying a pig in a poke? Wasn't it PT Barnum that said there was a sucker born every day? If you're getting this treatment from the sales staff, who want to move the unit, how do you think you'll be treated by the service folks?
My plan is to take it up to Junction City to have all of the work done by techs that know what they are looking at.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

UPDATE

I just got an email from the sales guy:

I talked to the owner and he said he will agree to the following:
1) Non refundable deposit of $1,000.00
2) Additional $84,000.00 for the coach.
3) Doc fees, safety & emissions, temp tag and property tax would be added. (if your paying in in full we would not collect sales tax).
4) The first hour of the PDI oversight for our tech will be free of charge. Then $125.00 per hour to be paid by you until your tech is finished.

We will get some photos on Monday to you unless you would rather do the video walk through. Let me know if this works for you.

My reply

Why not just set your price based on what you want to make and keep it there?

I am sure there are plenty of people that would jump through these hoops and ignore the risk for a Magna at this price, but I'm not one of them.

I came in with a generous offer for a coach that I could buy at Auction for $20k less, and now I'm getting nickled and dimed for an inspectors time?

Thanks for your time but I'm not spending $125 per hour to have your guy babysit my inspector.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at Lehto's Law video on RV inspection scams.....
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #8

I have often heard that dealers DO NOT do a PDI on a unit until they have a deal. All they might do is basic inside clean and deodorize as well as wash/wax the outside. We actually like the fact that we'd see the used unit as bad as it could be BEFORE we signed any paperwork.

We wouldn't want the dealer to change the oil, put in a substandard set of filters, wipe up oil drips or any other tricks to hide errors.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I'm going to become a dealer...

I'm going to find an old axle from some Newmar that got burned up (or something) and then was purchased at auction.

I'll advertise "the rig" by it's original model number for $50K. When anyone calls, I'll let them give me a nonrefundable deposit and welcome their independent inspectpr to come and see "the rig." And, generous person that I am, I won't make the customer purchase the unit if it fails the inspection!

Wow - I get to keep the $1000 AND the axle!
And if you watch the video, you'll find out they can't even sue you! LOL
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #10

Just from the pics it looks like a nice coach and a fair price. Been doing a lot of sitting somewhere all those years. The dealer sucks, I'll give you that, and I agree, not a dime to have a babysitter while your guy inspects. If it looks like everything your looking for, like the price, offer to bond your inspector instead of the babysitter fee. If they balk at that you know they're most likely found something wrong, which of course they will say your inspector caused. If ain't feeling right, walk, there are many coaches for sell out there.
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Carfax says the vehicle is supposed to be green. The picture is a brown RV. After everything else, I'd ...

RUN!!!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #12

I guess clearance light lenses aren't on their 112 point inspection
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #13

Maybe it's just me but that coach looks very run down. Busted fiberglass on right rear corner. Damaged and missing marker lights (who knows how much water has gotten in through those). Clearcoat pealing all over. Old mechanical awning. Filthy inside. Filthy stained carpet. Missing furnature. I can only imagine how the mechanicals were cared for with what the way the rest of the coach looks like.

Here is a 2004 Magna that looks like it was much better cared for and it's over $20k less than the asking price of the one in the OP. A few more miles but from the looks alone it appeart to have been much better cared for.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-42-5006532367

No way is the coach in the OP worth $85K if this '04 is only worth $65k.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Maybe it's just me but that coach looks very run down. Busted fiberglass on right rear corner. Damaged and missing marker lights (who knows how much water has gotten in through those). Clearcoat pealing all over. Old mechanical awning. Filthy inside. Filthy stained carpet. Missing furnature. I can only imagine how the mechanicals were cared for with what the way the rest of the coach looks like.

Here is a 2004 Magna that looks like it was much better cared for and it's over $20k less than the asking price of the one in the OP. A few more miles but from the looks alone it appeart to have been much better cared for.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...-42-5006532367

No way is the coach in the OP worth $85K if this '04 is only worth $65k.
Looks pretty clean.. spare belt in the basement. Someone cared. With some maintenance records for engine could be a decent deal. Salvage title.... needs to be further investigated.

Tags
dealer, country coach