Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #1

The search continues

I have spent many months researching a future diesel pusher purchase and after reading hundreds of posts on this forum I decided on the 36 foot Monaco Camelot. I found a low mileage 2007 that fit just about every check box a couple months ago and after seeing and driving the coach I was convinced it was the one for the wife and I. Of concern, was the lack of use by the current owner, who drives it a couple times a year and has put a mere 7000 miles on it in the past four years of ownership, as well as the lack of any maintenance since purchasing it. After reading many posts about the importance of pre inspection fluid samples, I decided to test the fluids prior to making an offer. I ordered the pumps and sample bottles from JG Lubricant, pulled the samples, and sent them in.
I received the samples back and was shocked at what the motor oil sample revealed. I have decided to pass on this coach based on those results.
The Generator oil and Engine coolant were also in the high abnormal range with the transmission test the only normal result recorded.
I would like to thank everyone for their posts, insights and experience. Those I believe, helped me in my research and with making an informed decision.

Here is the oil sample report
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monaco oil.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	287762  
tinman 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing. I plan to purchase a DP in the future and go back and forth on the importance of inspection/fluid sample.
I know fluid samples are best as a comparison to other previous samples.
I'll be curious what others think of your sample/decision.

I wonder if some of the contaminants are from break in since this motor has so few miles?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

I was wondering the same thing, what worries me was that the last receipt for service (fluid and filter changes was nearly 5 1/2 years ago. The owner maintains that he never changed the fluids in it because he hardly uses it. From what Ive read here is that inactivity is the worse thing for these coaches.
Although I love the ride of the Roadmaster Chasis, my wife has since fallen in love with the Country Coach Allure, 37 footer with tag axle. so, we shall see how that goes. I have yet to drive it, but I hear the tag axle makes for a very stable, comfortable drive.

Good luck on your search and possible purchase
Old 06-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman 55 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, what worries me was that the last receipt for service (fluid and filter changes was nearly 5 1/2 years ago. The owner maintains that he never changed the fluids in it because he hardly uses it. From what Ive read here is that inactivity is the worse thing for these coaches.
Although I love the ride of the Roadmaster Chasis, my wife has since fallen in love with the Country Coach Allure, 37 footer with tag axle. so, we shall see how that goes. I have yet to drive it, but I hear the tag axle makes for a very stable, comfortable drive.

Good luck on your search and possible purchase
Are you still committed to getting an inspection that includes pulling fluids until you find the right MH?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
okcnewbie said.....Are you still committed to getting an inspection that includes pulling fluids until you find the right MH?
I really gotta wonder what lab reports would show for most any coach out there, that was for sale, along with most that aren't for sale.
Something tells me, if we would have done this before purchasing, we might have ran away too, but now after four years of ownership and about 20K miles, we have no complaints on running gear condition or performance.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #6

I would not necessarily discount buying it based on that report, JG is good about giving follow up phone consults to their reports. I would call them and ask their detailed opinion after telling them that the oil has not been changed in a few years and it has been driving only about 1,000 miles per year the last few years. A single sample oil analysis does not tell you much here, to really know the condition of the engine you need a base line, which means sample, change fluids, run for a thousand miles or more, and resample. I know that is not possible here, but without it things may be ok, or they may not.

Think of that report as like a blood work report at your doctors office, seeing a thing or two out of range, without perspective may cause panic for no good reason. So get an expert interpretation of the numbers and don't just panic because of one or two orange and red flagged items.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you still committed to getting an inspection that includes pulling fluids until you find the right MH?
No, but the fact that the service records were meticulous with the original owner, and then just stopped. It
s actually been years since its had any fluid changes, and that does worry me
Old 06-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I really gotta wonder what lab reports would show for most any coach out there, that was for sale, along with most that aren't for sale.
Something tells me, if we would have done this before purchasing, we might have ran away too, but now after four years of ownership and about 20K miles, we have no complaints on running gear condition or performance.
True, but I think with the more expensive coaches, one would do more to protect their investment and at least keep up the oil changes. The person I was set to by the Monaco from actually owns a trucking company, I would've expected at least an oil change. The numbers and metals in the oil are just too much for me to gamble nearly 90k on
Old 06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I would not necessarily discount buying it based on that report, JG is good about giving follow up phone consults to their reports. I would call them and ask their detailed opinion after telling them that the oil has not been changed in a few years and it has been driving only about 1,000 miles per year the last few years. A single sample oil analysis does not tell you much here, to really know the condition of the engine you need a base line, which means sample, change fluids, run for a thousand miles or more, and resample. I know that is not possible here, but without it things may be ok, or they may not.

Think of that report as like a blood work report at your doctors office, seeing a thing or two out of range, without perspective may cause panic for no good reason. So get an expert interpretation of the numbers and don't just panic because of one or two orange and red flagged items.

Thank you Isaac, I will call them tomorrow and get their opinion. It will be good information to have for the future
Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #10

In addition, the 8k Onan generator oii also tested high in Piston metals. Really a shame, because the coach is a nice looking one. A little checking in the dark paint but nothing major.
Did recently receive a text that the entry door awning quit working, and the large awning is opening real slowly. Oh, and he said the front sun shade on the passenger side suddenly quit working.
We are currently working a deal for a Country Coach that my wife and I actually like better.

We may make the trip to see it next week, its in another state.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

Dealing with things that suddenly stop working is just part of life with an older coach, for example on our last trip in October, the passenger side power seat stopped working (wire in power connector pulled apart), the furnace started short cycling (over temperature sensor went bad), and the entry door light bulb died (LED).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote