RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #29

Weigh

I did did read up on the tires and the weight per axle issue. That might help. But the alignment will help the most. As much as you pay for these you think they would be good to go out the box. Will see how the trip back goes. At best right now I don't feel it is safe to go over 45. That is how bad it is.
Dads Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Congrats on the new Precept! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Congrats on the new Precept! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Funny..I ran off the road as we left the house. Wife wanted me to turn around and go back...lol
Dads Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #32

We bought this with the intention of her driving it too. After she saw how hard it was to drive she doesn't want anything to do with it. When we go on regular driving trip in the car see drives. She likes to drive. So I set in the back with my son and play games .lol. So this setup might not work. So sad after search all this time.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't get discouraged just yet... Not sure what your experience driving something this large, but the more you drive it, the more comfortable and confident you'll be.

Do like the others have mentioned, keep a check on your tire pressures, and go and get the front end aligned. All manufacturers suggest that being done after you load it like you plan to travel. When I purchased our first motorhome back in 2009, I can remember the PDI tech telling me to have this done.

As for you wife not feeling comfortable, I remember when I brought our's home and asked to ride with me to the gas station for a fill up. We were driving through the neighborhood, and she literally was in the floor thinking we were going to take out every mailbox along the way. I looked down at the speedometer and told her we were only going 20 mph. After a few trips she got used to the ride and just how large of a vehicle we were in.

Don't wait until you are going on trips to drive it. Take it out for drives out and around your town. Take it on different types of roads. If its going to be a breezy or a somewhat windy day, take it out so you can get a feel for how it handles in that situation as well.

One of the big things that gave me angst in my early days of MH ownership was driving through construction areas on interstates with "jersey walls" up on both sides. You will encounter those at some time during your journeys. And while in those narrow situations you will have tractor trailers pass you at what seems to be light speed... That can be a white knuckle experience... Just use your cameras, and mirrors to assist you in staying in your lane.

All of us have gone through this at one time or another... Just stay aware of your surroundings and stay confident!
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
I did did read up on the tires and the weight per axle issue. That might help. But the alignment will help the most. As much as you pay for these you think they would be good to go out the box. Will see how the trip back goes. At best right now I don't feel it is safe to go over 45. That is how bad it is.
What makes you so set on the front end alignment being off, if I might ask?

Sure would love to drive your rig for a feel of it.

Naturally with our DP, one must be careful not to fall asleep, but even with our previous two P32 Chevy gassers, a little finger on the wheel was all that was needed.
The second had a tag axle which helped even more and once took it across 3 states in a really bad crosswind. Other than being tiring, the biggest problem was for stopping that night and for the rocking and not being able to put the slide out.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #35

DadsToy, congrats on the new Class A! I am sure it takes a while to get a feel for the unit.

tropical 36, does a tag axle automatically improve stabilty and sway? It makes sense that it would, I just never thought about it. I am not that mechanical so I may have to find a truck garage nearby that can add a suspension stabilizer, etc.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
What makes you so set on the front end alignment being off, if I might ask?

Sure would love to drive your rig for a feel of it.

Naturally with our DP, one must be careful not to fall asleep, but even with our previous two P32 Chevy gassers, a little finger on the wheel was all that was needed.
The second had a tag axle which helped even more and once took it across 3 states in a really bad crosswind. Other than being tiring, the biggest problem was for stopping that night and for the rocking and not being able to put the slide out.
The steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn off to the left. You can't straighten the wheel.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Don't get discouraged just yet... Not sure what your experience driving something this large, but the more you drive it, the more comfortable and confident you'll be.

Do like the others have mentioned, keep a check on your tire pressures, and go and get the front end aligned. All manufacturers suggest that being done after you load it like you plan to travel. When I purchased our first motorhome back in 2009, I can remember the PDI tech telling me to have this done.

As for you wife not feeling comfortable, I remember when I brought our's home and asked to ride with me to the gas station for a fill up. We were driving through the neighborhood, and she literally was in the floor thinking we were going to take out every mailbox along the way. I looked down at the speedometer and told her we were only going 20 mph. After a few trips she got used to the ride and just how large of a vehicle we were in.

Don't wait until you are going on trips to drive it. Take it out for drives out and around your town. Take it on different types of roads. If its going to be a breezy or a somewhat windy day, take it out so you can get a feel for how it handles in that situation as well.

One of the big things that gave me angst in my early days of MH ownership was driving through construction areas on interstates with "jersey walls" up on both sides. You will encounter those at some time during your journeys. And while in those narrow situations you will have tractor trailers pass you at what seems to be light speed... That can be a white knuckle experience... Just use your cameras, and mirrors to assist you in staying in your lane.

All of us have gone through this at one time or another... Just stay aware of your surroundings and stay confident!

I have had many different experience driving different big trucks. Military truck in the Marines, Big Uhaul style trucks fully loaded with mega weight. But this thing is awful. Speaking of UHaul. I think the cheap old Uhaul truck I rented drives better than this thing.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #38

The drive home

So we made it home safe...barley. I couldn't go over 60mph and barley was able to maintain 55mph and safely keep it on the road. My arms hurt and I think I sprang my index finger by white knuckling it so hard. I had to go thru a section of highway construction on I-85 near Gaffney which always has a death on it every week. That was the worst. There was a cut grove in the road for a temp shoulder addition. I had to get over just to avoid throwing it into the ditch. Not cool. I notice it is worst when you let off the gas. As long as you have throttle to it it was fine. Couldn't use the cruise. Would tach up to 5k and you would lose control.

I also notice that certain cars not trucks would even blow me off the road. Had a small Honda SUV came by me and push me off the road. Something to do with aerodynamics of some cars has a direct effect on the how the coach handles.
So first trip done and we are done. Up for sale slightly used nice Class A.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
DadsToy, congrats on the new Class A! I am sure it takes a while to get a feel for the unit.

tropical 36, does a tag axle automatically improve stabilty and sway? It makes sense that it would, I just never thought about it. I am not that mechanical so I may have to find a truck garage nearby that can add a suspension stabilizer, etc.
Yes, tags are great for better handling, but the coach we have now, handles even better. It's a different animal though, so not like apples to apples with and without the tag.
Here's the thing and the one I've found to be the most important and that's with the amount of overhang past the rear axle.
I mean bad enough if your dog wags it's tail a lot, but when the tail wags the dog while going down the highway, that's hard to make right.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #40

Quote:
The steering wheel is about a 1/4 turn off to the left. You can't straighten the wheel.
That has nothing to do with wheel alighnment. In fact many times it's straight while the wheels are out and then for being off, after it's properly aligned,
I do get what you're saying though and for needing to tell your shop ahead of time, that you want it straight, once they're done.
Many time they'll keep testing it, by going around the block and for adjusting it, until they get it right.
I did the same one time, with a little car and for making sure I marked and moved on side, the same as the other, so as not to mess up the alignment.

So, you're saying that all your tires are aired up evenly and at least for what it's says on the place card? Next and soon, for getting each axle weighed at any truck stop along the highway. Contrary to popular belief, most are happy to do it for you, as long as they're not busy. I've even stayed overnight there and for getting weighed on the way in or for the next morning. Always have a little talk with them first, which always helps.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #41

Quote:

I also notice that certain cars not trucks would even blow me off the road. Had a small Honda SUV came by me and push me off the road. Something to do with aerodynamics of some cars has a direct effect on the how the coach handles.
So first trip done and we are done. Up for sale slightly used nice Class A.

The blow by from different cars has always surprised me. If I sit at a traffic light in the left turn lane while other cars drive by, it would amaze me which ones would make the whole camper rock side to side. It wasn't always the biggest cars that pushed us.... and we were sitting still.

I drove from Jonesville NC to Concord NC today and you could tell it was gusty winds. Our Ford would have been blown around a lot in this weather.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmnc View Post
The blow by from different cars has always surprised me. If I sit at a traffic light in the left turn lane while other cars drive by, it would amaze me which ones would make the whole camper rock side to side. It wasn't always the biggest cars that pushed us.... and we were sitting still.

I drove from Jonesville NC to Concord NC today and you could tell it was gusty winds. Our Ford would have been blown around a lot in this weather.
Yep interesting an for trucks or nothing else moving ours, when going down the road, but sitting still for a left turn and while some vehicles are going by in the lane on our right, we rock.

Tags
class a