Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #57

One other thing, I see you are in Spartanburg. This RV resort is not too far and would be a nice place to take a weekend trip or longer. https://www.mtn-falls.com/
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #58

Dad, what you are having is exactly what was happening with our old Class C. We nearly got killed! It was a Ford chassis with the V10. First I added Safety Steer, airbags, and new tires that were balanced. I needed the air bags since it was a tail dragger. Once level I had it weighed, used the Firestone Load/Pressure chart to set the air pressure in the tires plus 5psi. Then had a front end alignment. I could drive it with two fingers on the steering wheel. I could barely feel any truck or bus passing at any speed. It is fixable. Great to drive across the country after that.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #59

Trac bar

Something sure sounds wrong with your MH.

I have a 2003 Workhorse chassis that I have modified over the years. Rear sway bar and 4 new premium Koni shocks. That helped quite a bit.
Still was touchy when passed by large vehicle on a two lane highway. Doesn't sound quite as bad as your rig, but I got used to the movement and was ready for it. Then two year ago, I added a Trac Bar for the rear axle. That really took care of the problem. It was explained to me that the rear axle leaf springs have a certain of flex sideways that will effect the steering when a truck passes by. Keeps the rear axle from steering the rig. I know they are available for the Ford F53 also.
scooteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #60

Did you take it back to camping world and have them drive it?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This poster has it correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Don't panic yet! First thing to do is get the rig weighed and find out the weight of your front and rear axles. Then, find the inflation chart for the tires you have and adjust air pressure based on axle weights.

Then, do get the front end aligned.

After that, you may want to make some mods if necessary. A Roadmaster steering stabilizer improved handling on my Bay Star by reducing push from semi trucks. You may want to replace the original sway bars with heavier duty ones, do the cheap handling fix or have Sumo Springs installed.

Even with modifications, I think you will find that staying around 60-65 mph is as fast as you want to go when you're driving a big box down the road.

There's lots of threads about modifications for the gas motor home chassis.

Good luck and I hope you're having a better driving experience real soon!
Do as he says. The tire pressure is probably at the maximum for the tire, and your actual weight will require much less pressure. The tires are probably rounded, and as soon as they’re at the proper pressure your ride will improve and it will be easier to keep in the lane. Enjoy!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:31 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by becken63 View Post
I put in a heated floor with a bathroom and cleanout for a dump. 24 X 48. 13 ft door. 14 ft 6 inch sidewall. 6 in floor. wish sidewalls were 16 ft and 14 ft door
How does it handle going down the highway?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on the new RV! You will be amazed at what's out there to explore. We haven't even scratched the surface.

Happy camping and safe adventures to you
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #64

****Good on You**** Many Safe Travels****
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #65

Dad's Toy, sounds to me like there's something really wrong with your coach... makes me so glad I have a DP. We just got back from a trip to East Texas, only 180 miles each way. We took I-35 and I-20 on the way there... I really don't like interstate highway driving much because of the crazies on the road. We drove back on the state highways and that's more relaxing. Driving through Corsicana,TX is always a hassle due to the town's narrow streets which curve unexpectedly. Still, we drove at my usual 63 mph and was fine. But it was 100 degrees! I always recommend to others that they buy a DP over gassers... JMHO!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
It has taken us over 10 years of looking, dreaming, researching RV's. Life has gotten in the way along this journey of us getting our RV. But the timing couldn't have been better. Went window shopping again at our local Camping World yesterday. Yes we have all heard bad story's about Camping World so my guard was up. A lot of bad comes from sales people not having knowledge of the business or the products. Luck happen and had a great sales guy that knew his stuff. He reminded me of my realtor. Keep going back and working the manager down to get what we wanted. I went a little too far at times, but he work for us and not the company. I told him what we needed and what I wanted in the end. He ended up showing us a consignment Class A that hadn't even made it to their listings. So we ended up with a 2015 Jayco Precept 29UM. One owner 12k miles! As soon as we walk in my wife knew this was the one. Had bunks, enclosed bathroom, extra seating. I couldn't believe Jayco got all of this in this small space. Has the JRide system, loaded. It's perfect for island hopping and long trips. Love the one piece front glass. They are going to detail it and install ceramic wax coating on the outside of the couch. So pick it up Wed. Already planning upgrades. Going to get the Snap Pads, and tire monitoring system. Can't wait to make our first shake down trip. Oh and it even had a whole camper cover that comes with it. While we was waiting to sign papers another couple that had look at it earlier came back to buy it. Man the look on their faces when they told them it was already sold. This size of RV is rare and hard to find. So excite...Happy trials and adventures await. Oh...While I was setting in the drivers seat I look at the rig next to us. It had an IRV2 sticker on the window. How can I get one?
Jayco makes some pretty nice RV's so I'm you'll be very happy with it. We have an Admiral 29M from Holiday Rambler and we are actually camping with one of our grandsons as I comment. Not sure if you have 50 or 30 amp but if it is 50 amp you can get an adapter from most WalMarts to use a 30 amp outlet if 50 isn't available and still use one of the AC units. Add a hard start capacitor, [/url]https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1[/url], to each AC unit and you should be able to use both units on 30 amps. Another advantage is that many state and federal parks have 30 foot limit but usually will allow a 31 foot RV also. A portable ice maker, https://www.amazon.com/Countertop-Ma...6820239&sr=8-6, keeps plenty of ice availble and can be stored under the bed. We also have a portable washing machine, https://www.amazon.com/SUPER-DEAL-Po...s%2C293&sr=8-3, we store and operate in the shower. A portable dish washer is on the way, https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-FD...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==, that we are hoping we can also store in the shower with the washing mashine. Basically your little class a that is perfect for 2 or 3 people can have all the perks of a much larger rig and be accepted at more places at a much lower total cost. You can also tow a vehicle behind it easily. Hope you enjoy your new RV as much as we are enjoying ours.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
Jayco makes some pretty nice RV's so I'm you'll be very happy with it.
I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread and the comments from the OP.

He doesn't sound real happy.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #68

Dads Toy

You might want to go over here https://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/ and talk to some existing Jayco owners. They will have a better understanding of you specific motor home.

It looks like the J-ride option has some pretty good suspension mods already. Bilstein shocks, rubber jounce supports (similar to Sumo) Helwig helpers and it looks like an additional anti-sway bar. Those things should provide a pretty stable ride. You are on the 18K F-53 so a good coach weight would be helpful and if you just air up the tires to the max cold pressure that will take tire pressure out of the equation. Might make a hard ride (which you can attack later) but should help with stability.

Something is wrong. Your rig should not handle that bad.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
I did did read up on the tires and the weight per axle issue. That might help. But the alignment will help the most. As much as you pay for these you think they would be good to go out the box. Will see how the trip back goes. At best right now I don't feel it is safe to go over 45. That is how bad it is.

That’s how I felt when I brought ours home. Turns out the rear shocks were shot. Replacing them sure helped the wiggles.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #70

It makes you wonder

Five years -12,000 miles. With all the suspension add on's you would think someone had planned on driving this RV quite a bit.
This also brings up another thought. Did they add all the options because they couldn't drive it.
I mentioned before the OP should contact CW where he bought it and discuss this with them and if nothing else get the previous owner's information and contact them.
Lynn

Tags
class a