RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #71

1988 Winnie Superchief...P-30...13 yrs ago drove from Ballard..(seattle) to Tacoma's Camping World...Turned out of the seat and the full coffee cup my wife left on the counter was still sitting there...70,000 miles later I can still sail down the highway with just one finger (on non-windy days)...
Monroe's on the front, bags all around..110# in the Toyo tires front stabilizer and rear also..
Best of luck to "Dad"...
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Five years -12,000 miles. With all the suspension add on's you would think someone had planned on driving this RV quite a bit.
This also brings up another thought. Did they add all the options because they couldn't drive it.
I mentioned before the OP should contact CW where he bought it and discuss this with them and if nothing else get the previous owner's information and contact them.
Lynn
Nobody "added" the suspension mods. The J-Ride suspension system is an option from Jayco that can be ordered just like any other option.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #73

That's a great looking coach! All of your hard work and waiting, good brand and in like new condition.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:45 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
So have to say the road trip was terrifying. I think the front end is out of alignment. It is very had to keep it on the road. Can't go over 60mph. When a big truck comes by it pushes the rig to the right about 3'!! If this is normal we might be done before we start. But over all drive out pretty well. Was white knuck the whole way. Don't see how these bigger coaches fly down the road like its nothing.
I was very surprised at how well ours handled after all the white knuckle stories I heard. Steering wheel was off quite a bit so the dealer recommended a place to get it taken care of on their dime. When they got done they said they could improve the ride and handling greatly for only $8k. I bought the Roadmaster sway bars, Sumo Springs front and rear along with a rear track bar for $3100.00. My wife assisted with installing everything except the rear sway bar. Way too heavy for her so my son in law came over to help. It already came with a front track bar and steering stabilizer. The ride did go from decent to fantastic however bumpy freeways are still rough on it. Solid as a rock now and barely moves when a semi flies by. I cruise at 60 to 65 to keep the RPM under 2k as much as possible. Now to get the engine fully broken in so I can get some decent mileage out of it, at least for a 10 ton rig anyhow.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #75

Hohenwald48
Options / add on's. Is there really a difference?
Old 08-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #76

2nd Trip

Wanted to give an update....First like to thanks everyone for their input on this issue. It certainly has weighed heavy on us. Going from "Hey we bought a Class A, let the adventures begin"" to "Holy Crap what did we do, this is treble". So wanted to make another short trip with our 2 adult kids and our 2 dogs. Just to shake things down to see if this really does work for us. Wanted to do this before investing any more time with this coach.

So went to Lake Greenwood RV Resort. Wow awesome place. Right on the lake and if you have a boat you can use the boat dock. Nice pool and club house. Very quite, level concert pads, beautiful landscape yards. And it was cheaper than a KOA.
Wife still refuses to ride in the rig. So she drove the car with the dogs. Dog got car sick...LOL
So before we left I took everyone's advance. I check the tire pressures. I take back everything nice I said about Camping World. After checking the placer on the coach it said the tires need to be at 82psi. I am thinking this is too low. Firestone says 95-110psi at cold and per the weight. So after knowing my starting point I begin to make sure I am in that range. Front had 103 on one and 89 on another. I had one on the back inner tire I couldn't get a reading. Either the extension has a faulty valve or there is no air in the tire. Now remember these are bran new tires just installed by CW. And their Tech that did the inspection check this out. So all the tire pressures was JACK This to me was putting my family at risk. Not happy. Trusted someone to do the right thing and are to be professionals. MY A**. So put air in the back tire in question. I am sure it was below 20psi. Still an issue with the valve. Fix all the other tires to 97.5psi on the dot. Split the difference on ratings.
Wow what a difference. Went from controlling a crash to actual doing the speed limit (60-65mph). Still have a ways to go. It rides smooth, don't fell bumps. Handles better. But you have some cars that will still blow you off the road. My Son rode with me. Engineer College student. He notice the cars that are designed to push air out and away from the car are the worst ones. Like smaller cars that set low to the ground and have air graphic body moldings.
Camping gone wrong....so problems with the camper. Water lines at the distro are all leaking. Had to put a bucket under the control valve to catch the water. Another CW miss. Then I was walking the dogs at night and walk around to check the rig. Had water spraying out of the Refrigerator vent. What the freak....scared the crud out of me and sprained my ankle. Took the cover off and it was a pin hole from the ice marker line. Thank goodness it had a shut off valve. No telling how long that was leaking. So going to kick in the CW warranty with a piece of mind behind it. More to come.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #77

Hey Dad..If that tire, the inside ran without air it is probably shot...Even putting the correct pressure in now is probably too late...I see a blow-out coming up..
Good to see you are now having fun, the future also...
Old 08-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #78

Also on dual rear tires if they get too low the sidewalls can rub each other and cause a fire..Both tires need to be checked..
I had the same poor service when I spent around $1,000. on new Michelin's for my Chevy Pickup..The idiot, I'd never seen him at the dealership before or after, didn't check the air pressure and screwed up my aluminum wheels..
Ride Safe!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 AM   #79

Quote:
Wanted to give an update....First like to thanks everyone for their input on this issue. It certainly has weighed heavy on us. Going from "Hey we bought a Class A, let the adventures begin"" to "Holy Crap what did we do, this is treble". So wanted to make another short trip with our 2 adult kids and our 2 dogs. Just to shake things down to see if this really does work for us. Wanted to do this before investing any more time with this coach.

So went to Lake Greenwood RV Resort. Wow awesome place. Right on the lake and if you have a boat you can use the boat dock. Nice pool and club house. Very quite, level concert pads, beautiful landscape yards. And it was cheaper than a KOA.
Wife still refuses to ride in the rig. So she drove the car with the dogs. Dog got car sick...LOL
So before we left I took everyone's advance. I check the tire pressures. I take back everything nice I said about Camping World. After checking the placer on the coach it said the tires need to be at 82psi. I am thinking this is too low. Firestone says 95-110psi at cold and per the weight. So after knowing my starting point I begin to make sure I am in that range. Front had 103 on one and 89 on another. I had one on the back inner tire I couldn't get a reading. Either the extension has a faulty valve or there is no air in the tire. Now remember these are bran new tires just installed by CW. And their Tech that did the inspection check this out. So all the tire pressures was JACK This to me was putting my family at risk. Not happy. Trusted someone to do the right thing and are to be professionals. MY A**. So put air in the back tire in question. I am sure it was below 20psi. Still an issue with the valve. Fix all the other tires to 97.5psi on the dot. Split the difference on ratings.
Wow what a difference. Went from controlling a crash to actual doing the speed limit (60-65mph). Still have a ways to go. It rides smooth, don't fell bumps. Handles better. But you have some cars that will still blow you off the road. My Son rode with me. Engineer College student. He notice the cars that are designed to push air out and away from the car are the worst ones. Like smaller cars that set low to the ground and have air graphic body moldings.
Camping gone wrong....so problems with the camper. Water lines at the distro are all leaking. Had to put a bucket under the control valve to catch the water. Another CW miss. Then I was walking the dogs at night and walk around to check the rig. Had water spraying out of the Refrigerator vent. What the freak....scared the crud out of me and sprained my ankle. Took the cover off and it was a pin hole from the ice marker line. Thank goodness it had a shut off valve. No telling how long that was leaking. So going to kick in the CW warranty with a piece of mind behind it. More to come.
It seems they always miss something. On my first trailer we couldn't fill the fresh water tank due to the filler hose being routed improperly and on the Admiral 29M we had no hot water on the passenger side due to the stainless steel hose being too short and pinched closed. After removing the couch and finding the problem I ran over to Lowes for another 1' section of hose and a coupler and finally had hot water in the bathroom and outdoor kitchen when I got done. First trailer had alleged tire pressure caps claiming 65 lbs in all the tires but they all were around 42 to 48 so I threw those caps out. New motor home was just slightly low but hate having to pull the wheel covers off to check the pressure so it looks like 10 pressure monitors for the rig and the truck I pull behind it. Hope you have discovered all of your issues now and they repair everything so you can start to enjoy the new rig.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #80

Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce M View Post
Also on dual rear tires if they get too low the sidewalls can rub each other and cause a fire..Both tires need to be checked..
I had the same poor service when I spent around $1,000. on new Michelin's for my Chevy Pickup..The idiot, I'd never seen him at the dealership before or after, didn't check the air pressure and screwed up my aluminum wheels..
Ride Safe!
Never knew about the sidewalls rubbing together like that. Always something to learn here. I'll have to inspect these a little more closely. A TPMS would be helpful, but don't know just yet if I am going to invest anymore money on this rig just yet. If the Wife won't ride in it I should just get rid of it.

On another subject. When looking for a place to stay this weekend. We notice there are some campgrounds that have gone up on their rates. With more and more people camping. And the shortage of campgrounds to stay at. The prices are going up. I know its a life style for some. Adventure for others. But when you figure in the cost of gas to and from, maintenance, insurance etc. Then the cost of the campground. I could stay at a five star hotel / restore and have someone wait on me for less.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce M View Post
Ride Safe!
I agree the tires should be checked but I would go a step further and insist they replace both of those tires. A visual inspection may not reveal internal damage from the under inflation. There could be internal damage which won't show up for several thousand miles. You deserve this, if for no other reason, your peace of mind. The well being of you and your family are at stake here.
While they are at it, insist they install all new heavy duty tire valve stems right for your application in all the tires to prevent future issues.
Make a list of all the problems you encountered and when they are done with the repairs go over the whole coach with the service manager not just a wet behind the ears grunt in the shop.
I would still take the coach to a reputable alignment shop and have the suspension and steering inspected and the alignment performed. Ask for their opinion on a rear "Trac Bar".
Ask the CW service manager if they will pay for the alignment service.
If you are not satisfied with CW's response to your complaints take your complaints to corporate level.
Keep us informed.
Lynn
Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #82

Super glad that you're getting a handle on your MH stuff! If you become satisfied with how the rig is handling, I'm pretty sure you can talk your wife around eventually. I agree with the other posters that say you need to put CW to task. X2 on making CW replace the two dual tires. That being said, I took my DS in for its state inspection.... the guy came back and said, "sorry, we can't inspect this vehicle!" When I asked why, he said I had a flat tire! I didn't believe him at first, but he asked me to come with him. The tire looked fine--until he kicked it. The rubber wobbled around the tire rim. It was flat allright! I had not felt any issues at all when driving it to the truck repair place. Luckily, the truck center was just across the street from the tire place that I'd bought the tires from so I drove it there. They took the tire and rim off the MH. They found a nail in the tire and repaired it. There was no sign of any damage, so back on it went and so far, no issues. I have no idea how long that tire was flat! I had taken the rig to Oklahoma recently for a glamping trip... guess it could have been flat the whole time! Sure didn't feel any problems! From now on, I'll kick the tires each time I fire up the beast!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #83

Quote:
Never knew about the sidewalls rubbing together like that. Always something to learn here. I'll have to inspect these a little more closely. A TPMS would be helpful, but don't know just yet if I am going to invest anymore money on this rig just yet. If the Wife won't ride in it I should just get rid of it.

On another subject. When looking for a place to stay this weekend. We notice there are some campgrounds that have gone up on their rates. With more and more people camping. And the shortage of campgrounds to stay at. The prices are going up. I know its a life style for some. Adventure for others. But when you figure in the cost of gas to and from, maintenance, insurance etc. Then the cost of the campground. I could stay at a five star hotel / restore and have someone wait on me for less.
When one dully tire is low the other take the full load and is over loaded. Both need to be replaced.

Camping is cheep when consider the cost of three meals a day added in. The longer you camp, the cheaper it gets. Your own bed, towels, food, and no COVIDD-19 or other things like bed bugs to worry about.

You still need Safe T Steer to remove most if not all the push. This also help a lost to protect if a blowout occurs.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #84

To the shop

Well CW called back finally and have an appointment Thursday. Lets see how this goes. My backup camera cable still hasn't come in yet. They say its delay because of COVID I am so sick and tried of people using COVID as an excuse. I google the cable and can have it ship to my house from CW site in two days So taking it in for all the water leaks, tires, and hood latch that came off. Oh and a row of ceiling lights that don't work. All of this in just one shake down trip. We bought a newer rig in thinking we wouldn't have these problems. Oh well...lesson learn. Oh if I haven't told you all we name it CARL-Camping Adventures Refreshing Life.

Tags
class a