Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Super glad that you're getting a handle on your MH stuff! If you become satisfied with how the rig is handling, I'm pretty sure you can talk your wife around eventually. I agree with the other posters that say you need to put CW to task. X2 on making CW replace the two dual tires. That being said, I took my DS in for its state inspection.... the guy came back and said, "sorry, we can't inspect this vehicle!" When I asked why, he said I had a flat tire! I didn't believe him at first, but he asked me to come with him. The tire looked fine--until he kicked it. The rubber wobbled around the tire rim. It was flat allright! I had not felt any issues at all when driving it to the truck repair place. Luckily, the truck center was just across the street from the tire place that I'd bought the tires from so I drove it there. They took the tire and rim off the MH. They found a nail in the tire and repaired it. There was no sign of any damage, so back on it went and so far, no issues. I have no idea how long that tire was flat! I had taken the rig to Oklahoma recently for a glamping trip... guess it could have been flat the whole time! Sure didn't feel any problems! From now on, I'll kick the tires each time I fire up the beast!
Might want to consider investing in a TPM system. That is going to be my first major purchase, if I get that far. Can't believe you couldn't fell that tire being low.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
Never knew about the sidewalls rubbing together like that. Always something to learn here. I'll have to inspect these a little more closely. A TPMS would be helpful, but don't know just yet if I am going to invest anymore money on this rig just yet. If the Wife won't ride in it I should just get rid of it.

On another subject. When looking for a place to stay this weekend. We notice there are some campgrounds that have gone up on their rates. With more and more people camping. And the shortage of campgrounds to stay at. The prices are going up. I know its a life style for some. Adventure for others. But when you figure in the cost of gas to and from, maintenance, insurance etc. Then the cost of the campground. I could stay at a five star hotel / restore and have someone wait on me for less.
DAD, I've read your entire thread and most of the replies trying to help you. IMO, you have a classic case of buyers remorse, often the result of making a quick decision at CW, and you apparently wasted your "ten years" of researching and shopping by not following one simple rule. NEVER, ever, buy a used RV without taking it for an extensive test drive and having it professionally inspected IF you've never owned an RV and don't know what to look for. Smooth talking salesman and shiny bling has put many others in your boat, too.
Please do not feel insulted by my comments and know I made them as a PSA. There are literally hundreds of newbies making the same mistakes every day. Once you find out how much less they will give you for it on trade-in, I'm betting you will decide to keep it, and hopefully learn to enjoy it. Good luck!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #87

Don't be so disappointed, pretty much none of the resellers of RVs are totally trustworthy. You have a great looking coach, in fine shape that needed a good shakedown cruise. You will find that fixing most of this stuff, other than tires perhaps, is better off being done by you or someone you trust. One of the problems with the dealers is the turnover of help, lack of training and experience. When I purchased my 1999 back in 2013 I spotted some issues and knew I would ultimately end up fixing them despite writing it all out on the purchase agreement. The manager of the place called me on the phone and offered me several thousand dollars back in cash if they did not have to do all the repairs (we agreed upon which ones), I agreed, as I already knew what the problems were.

Here is an example- the steps would not work, mechanic said the motor was shot. I knew the activator arm was broken because I looked under them and saw it run and the arm dangling. Cost for the repair-$35 arm vs $600 steps. Dealer said the 2000W inverter was shot. I knew it was the 12 volt solenoid which operated all the coach controls. Cost for me to repair-$50 vs $1000 for a new inverter.

A couple of the items they were supposed to do-complete fluid and filter drain for both diesel engines and NYS heavy truck inspection- they did not do or did improperly! I sent them invoices on a local garage's letterhead and they sent me a check. See what I mean?

Soon enough you WILL be a happy camper
Old 08-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #88

Quote:
Might want to consider investing in a TPM system. That is going to be my first major purchase, if I get that far. Can't believe you couldn't fell that tire being low.
I'm looking at TPMS systems now! I'm going to need one with 10 sensors because that's how many tires I need to be monitoring: 6 on the MH, 2 car tow dolly tires, and 2 rear tires on the toad. And, no, felt nothing, nada, zero, zilch, regarding the flat outer rear dual tire. Which is another powerful reason to get a TPMS. With 10 sensors, a TPMS is gonna be about $500 or more. I also need a Scanguage system ($140) This system monitors all engine and drivetrain components; my transmission temp guage doesn't work. And on my last trip, the fantastic fan hatch in the ceiling over the kitchen shattered. So a new hatch! Our MH is stored in a covered facility, so as long as it is there, no worries about rain. Hope that after your steering/suspension mods that your wife will look again about driving in the MH. We recently started toading our 2016 Prius on a tow dolly and so far it's worked well and we used the hell out of the Prius once we arrived at our destination in east Texas.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #89

A new Fantastic Fan dome can be purchased without replacing the entire fan assembly.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=new...fan+lid&ia=web

With a TMS you may need a booster do to the length between the receiver on the dash and the tow dolly. I did just that with our old class C.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #90

First, I’m not bashing CW. But when I took my rv to them for some fixes after my first trip, the scheduled appointment was for drop off only, NOT an actual appointment for the repairs. They finally started the work almost 2 weeks later. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
First, I’m not bashing CW. But when I took my rv to them for some fixes after my first trip, the scheduled appointment was for drop off only, NOT an actual appointment for the repairs. They finally started the work almost 2 weeks later. Good luck.

It’s Okay. Bashing CW is a favorite pastime around here, and they usually deserve it ! 🤪
Old 08-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It’s Okay. Bashing CW is a favorite pastime around here, and they usually deserve it ! 🤪
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #93

Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
LOL...That is too funny. Grab some popcorn and watch the show...
Old 08-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #94

CW Repair update

CW just called back after dropping it off. Said they check the water lines and the tech couldn't repeat the water leak. Like really. It was pouring out of the valve connection on the back. Had to use a bucket to catch the water. Flood the whole compartment. Fix it myself losers. Tech said he was able to check the air in the tires including the one that I couldn't get a reading....right will see. When I get it back I am going to check them again myself. Oh this one crack me and my wife. The ceiling lights will only work if I turn on the lights over the sink first. We both tried every combination of switches and couldn't get the back row of ceiling lights to come on.
Body man is going to fix the hood hinge today. That needs to be fix or else. They still say the back camera cable is on order. I found it online with two day delivery. Don't know where they get their supplies from, but taking their sweet time getting here.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #95

Anytime one of the dual tires goes flat, the inflated tire is under extreme overload. If the rear axle weighs 18,000#, one side will be at 9,000# + or -. When one tire goes flat, the other one must carry the entire 9,000# vs the 6-7,000 it is rated to carry at maximum CIP. A 50% overload on a tire over a distance can and most likely will cause internal damage that can go undetected till if fails. If it were mine, I would at the minimum have the tire dismounted and inspected or even replaced.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #96

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at the crossfire dual pressure equalization system. I'm definitely getting one for mine.
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #97

Quote:
CW just called back after dropping it off. Said they check the water lines and the tech couldn't repeat the water leak. Like really. It was pouring out of the valve connection on the back. Had to use a bucket to catch the water. Flood the whole compartment. Fix it myself losers.........
I'm certainly NOT defending CW, but it is possible the leak only happens when the ice maker is calling for water to refill the cube freeze chamber.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #98

Quote:
They still say the back camera cable is on order. I found it online with two day delivery. Don't know where they get their supplies from, but taking their sweet time getting here.

If the part is listed as available on the CW website then don’t let them fool you into thinking it’s really in stock or you’ll get it in two days. Many of us have ordered in stock items to only be told it’s on back order. They are also notorious for taking 5 days to prep an order and send it 2nd day delivery for a total of 7 days. I’ve stopped using them for stuff unless the price is crazy good and I don’t need it for a couple weeks.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a