Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
That’s significantly WORSE mileage than we got with our 6.8 traveling at 26k lbs. And they tested a pickup with a horse trailer, which is much more aerodynamic compared to a coach towing the pickup truck.

Ever since this engine was announced people have been waiting anxiously to see the “improvements”. Well, now you have. It’s the old 460 gen II.

Why anyone, including the Ford engineering department, believes a return to older design is a good thing, is beyond me.

The Triton OHC design already dominated the GM big bore and killed it. Now Ford has adopted the same philosophy as GM.

Exactly. This was a pickup towing a 13,000lb horse trailer and it only got 5.5mpg. That is pathetic.

Just imagine how bad the fuel economy might be loaded up to max GCWR trying to pull a giant bread box down the road.

I roll along at 28,700 Gross combined. I get an honest 7 mpg traveling at 65mph on flat ground. Slow down to 62 and I’m well above 7. Drop the 4600lb toad and the mileage goes up to +7.5.

No one is expecting miracles with the new 7.3 but we sure weren’t wanting to go backwards.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #16

Sounds like a lot of people are going to be disappointed with this “new design” engine. Looks like I’ll get better mileage with my 6.8 and not have to endure new design developments on the road. I’m at 7+ mpg towing and real happy with my unit.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #17

Need to compare apples to apples.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
This is not to be taken as any form of condescending or in any words, belittling but, why, would anyone think that ANY motor, in any MOTORHOME get anywhere near any form of GOOD gas mileage? No matter if it's a new gas motor, old gas motor, diesel motor or what. And especially if one tows any form of a heavier toad, Jeep, truck, Grand Cherokee etc. For gas coaches, even the lighter toads, i.e. Suzuki Samurai, Geo Tracker, VW, Smart car etc. will even effect mileage.

Folks, these are rolling gymnasiums. They've got about as much aerodynamics as a planet. And for at least some portion of driving, your foot's nailed to the floor to go up grades, fight headwinds or both so, mileage at that point is pure ZERO. It kind-a is what it is.
Scott
it's all relative. Good mileage in my RAV-4 would be terrible on your Goldwing. Bad mileage on my pickup would be astonishingly good in my RV.

I've averaged 8.07 since day 1 in my RV, but I was tickled with the few times I've gotten over 9.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #19

I bet the new 7.3 W/10-speed gets better MPG than the V-10 W/6-speed in any identical RV.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvdman View Post
I bet the new 7.3 W/10-speed gets better MPG than the V-10 W/6-speed in any identical RV.
The new F-53 with the 7.3 will only have the 6 speed.

In the video with the 10 speed pulling a load it would not go past 8 gear so it never got into overdrive, so I think the 6 speed would be better in the motorhome.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post

In the video with the 10 speed pulling a load it would not go past 8 gear so it never got into overdrive, so I think the 6 speed would be better in the motorhome.
Mainly because the truck tested had the wrong axle ratio (3.31) for towing. With the 3.73 or 4.30 axle it should perform much better. Frankly I think the video needs to be taken with a grain of salt. First as mentioned the truck was not geared properly for the application hence the difficulty staying in the higher gears. 2nd they admit that they had a headwind when the tested which likely was a significant contributor to the results. Last I find it interesting that they make no comment as to the performance of the truck. Personally that's what I'm interested in. Pretty much a worthless evaluation.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Mainly because the truck tested had the wrong axle ratio (3.31) for towing. With the 3.73 or 4.30 axle it should perform much better. Frankly I think the video needs to be taken with a grain of salt. First as mentioned the truck was not geared properly for the application hence the difficulty staying in the higher gears. 2nd they admit that they had a headwind when the tested which likely was a significant contributor to the results. Last I find it interesting that they make no comment as to the performance of the truck. Personally that's what I'm interested in. Pretty much a worthless evaluation.

The 7.3 comes with 3.55 gears not 3.31.
But not that much difference. The same guy on Tfl now put a vid out this week. Highway gas mileage on the same truck just 4.30 gears. I want to see the towing numbers with same trailer with that truck before I decide how bad or good the 7.3 is.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemcmahon1 View Post
The 7.3 comes with 3.55 gears not 3.31.
But not that much difference. The same guy on Tfl now put a vid out this week. Highway gas mileage on the same truck just 4.30 gears. I want to see the towing numbers with same trailer with that truck before I decide how bad or good the 7.3 is.
My mistake. Yep 3.55. Still a big gap to 4.30. With a trailer weighing 14,500# I would think the later would be more appropriate. 14,500# trailer + truck should weigh about the same as a typical Class A however the aerodynamics will be different of course and only 2 axles on the ground for the MH. Also don't have any info on the Ford website as to what the axle ratios will be for the F-53. It will be interesting to see opinions once the F53 is released and we get some real world feedback. Right now it's kind of an apples and oranges thing.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #24

I suggest that motorhomes, especially gas Class A's, have gained weight & size over the last 30 years. Full wall or multiple slides, washer & dryers, bath & 1/2, wider & longer bodies, etc. And, the new Ford big block engine probably has to meet more strict emission requirements. Given this, the engine is good just to break even with the V10 mileage (assuming all of the many coach and driving variables are the same).

I also suspect the new V8 is essentially a cost reduction from the complexity of the V10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the V10 part of the modular engine line where the V6, V8 & V10 cylinder angle is 60 degrees instead of the traditional 90 degrees for V8's so they could all be manufactured with the same basic machinery?. I remember this allowed the higher volume V6 to be made without balance shafts and the lower volume V8 had the additional cost of the balance shaft, but not sure about the V10.

Quote:
Fire Up: It would still be nice if they could at least produce a big block that was not a gas hog, I mean even 9-10 mpg in a gas motorhome would be a great improvement but it seems after 30 years the mpg in motorhomes have gone no where..
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I suggest that motorhomes, especially gas Class A's, have gained weight & size over the last 30 years. Full wall or multiple slides, washer & dryers, bath & 1/2, wider & longer bodies, etc. And, the new Ford big block engine probably has to meet more strict emission requirements. Given this, the engine is good just to break even with the V10 mileage (assuming all of the many coach and driving variables are the same).

I also suspect the new V8 is essentially a cost reduction from the complexity of the V10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the V10 part of the modular engine line where the V6, V8 & V10 cylinder angle is 60 degrees instead of the traditional 90 degrees for V8's so they could all be manufactured with the same basic machinery?. I remember this allowed the higher volume V6 to be made without balance shafts and the lower volume V8 had the additional cost of the balance shaft, but not sure about the V10.
Probably has more to do with having to have two versions of the V-10 - 2 valve & 3 valve.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #26

Quote:

Well, that's just disappointing!

I was hoping for some much better/easier acceleration with the 10 speed allowing for lower gears (5.36's +). Could let you accelerate up tot say 55-65mph using 1st-8th and have 9-10 as double overdrives to settle in and cruise at 65-70mph at a decent RPM.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:58 AM   #27

If you need 200 HP to roll down the highway at 65 MPH, the RPM of the engine isn't going to effect the MPG that much.

As you lower the RPMs, the engine has to work harger to make the 200 HP. More work = More gas.

I had a 9 speed Jeep. It wouldn't go to 9th gear unless over 55 MPH. At a typical highway bridge overpass, it would drop out of 9th. Forget passing someone, I would floor it and have to wait as it dropped down to 4th gear before it took off. By then, the oncoming traffic was closing in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:10 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvdman View Post
Well, that's just disappointing!

I was hoping for some much better/easier acceleration with the 10 speed allowing for lower gears (5.36's +). Could let you accelerate up tot say 55-65mph using 1st-8th and have 9-10 as double overdrives to settle in and cruise at 65-70mph at a decent RPM.
Prob will have issues with driveshaft balance and carrier bearing longevity..

Tags
ford, gas